Wrong Step in Right Direction

FJM - Fred J Miller (Michael Cesario) - BD, Crown, Regiment, Cavies, Glassmen, Blue Knights, Boston

DeMoulin - Cadets

Stanbury - Bluecoats, Troopers, SVC, Madison, Blue Stars

Thanks. A lot of great designs and a few that are so so.

Pants don't work. Look at Madison in 2010- they had a white belt with the shirt tucked in. I'm not sure how it went together, but the white belt just accented the hip movement and looked bad.

I guess I don't see the problem with bibs. Half of the reason they're like they are is so the legs are right- feet are put into stirrups which are put into the shoes. Otherwise you get baggy, ill-fitting legs that ride up all the time.

The bibs usually don't show up in a show anyway... I can only think of one? If you don't like seeing guys wear coveralls, then don't go to warmups.

• Like 4

The Navy used to, though. The tropical uniforms were retired around the time I got out, a few years ago, when they simplified the seabag.

True. US Military Police ( MP's ) that utilize motorcycles on patrol wear shorts on duty in warm weather. Other units do as well sometimes, as duty and situations warrant. Like anything else, there are usually some exceptions to every rule.

Or just pants... ditch the pseudo military thing and you can wear proper pants.

The bib thing makes guys in the lot look sloppy... like kids heading out on a ski trip or to plant potatoes.

Are the corps being judged in the lot now?

What they wear in the lot is irrelevant, uniform-wise.

MY complaint about bibbers isn't the pants (hell...my first set of fencing knickers were converted white bibbers...and my own line of fencing knickers is based on bibbers for safety reasons)...it's the high waist of the jacket that tends to go with them. I'd rather see a return to a little longer jacket hem...I don't really need to see a jacket that looks like a bellydance choli...give me something down to the waist.

It's an even bigger issue in DCA...let's face it, some of us do NOT look good in bibbers and high-waisted jackets...too much gut hanging out.

Edited by 84BDsop
  • Like 1

Well, if you want to "ditch the military thing", and align with "athletes" style attire ( and in the summer heat no less ), why not just go with shorts ? Not just with the gals ( Blue Stars, 70's already have done this ) but " break with tradition altogether " and just go with soccer boxer shorts for the guys ? This way everybody will understand that the activity has fully evolved into a new form of a band that is pretty to look at, while athletic at the same time.

Why have the guys in long pants at all ? That in of itself is too traditional, isn't it ? especially in the summer. If we want to scrap tradition, then going with boxer shots for both girls and guys seems to be the way to fully and completely break with tradition if that is the goal. The soccer boxer shots, like the boxing shorts for Fighters can be quite eclectic, and multi- colored too. Personally, I 'd never want to see Corps in shorts in performance. But those that want to fully and completely break from tradition, then shorts seems to me to be both practical in the summer as well as fulfilling this compelling need on the part of some to fully break from tradition.

Ever see Preston Scout House? They wore shorts w/ shirt & aussies back in the 50's.

• Like 1

what you don't like the Nancy Carrigan sequin sleeve on the new BD uniform? Drum corps meets Ice Capades!

Is that what they're going to do next year? Ice Capades on the field? Great googly moogly

Ever see Preston Scout House? They wore shorts w/ shirt & aussies back in the 50's.

Yes. They are as active today in performance as they were in the 50's too. Crowds love them wherever they perform. The current MM's are along in years, but they have not lost their touch in entertaining the general public type of audiences. They call themselves the " Preston Scout House Bugle Band ".

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1