Wrong Step in Right Direction

what you don't like the Nancy Carrigan sequin sleeve on the new BD uniform? Drum corps meets Ice Capades!

Nancy Kerrigan ( not " Carrigan " ). She'll pull a Tonya Harding on you and bust you on the knee if you call her a " Carrigan " and not a " Kerrigan ". :fight:/>...... Lol!!

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Express should design DCI uniforms. Sexy.

On a serious note, is it true Under Armour stopped sponsoring SCV back in 2011 because they "didn't want a bunch of bandos representing their trademark"?

Nancy Kerrigan ( not " Carrigan " ). She'll pull a Tonya Harding on you and bust you on the knee if you call her a " Carrigan " and not a " Kerrigan ". fight.gif/>...... Lol!!

Auuugh I knew I had the spelling wrong! Thank you!

Sorry buddy - I'm looking for a corps to wow me with precision and powerful sound..... Not elf costumes and "body movement"

The two are not mutually exclusive, and "elf costumes" and body movement are given significant brownie points on a number of sheets. Also, the person choreographing for Madison and the person choreographing for Crown (which I'm assuming you're alluding to) are actually one in the same: Jim Moore.

The bib thing makes guys in the lot look sloppy... like kids heading out on a ski trip or to plant potatoes.

Drum corps is a very athletic activity, but athletes are running around in nurses shoes and polyester. Makes zero sense.

A couple things:

1. The bibs really bring together a well-tailored look. The pants stay "taut" when there's something extending up over the shoulders to hold them in place, keep them from sagging and keep them from sliding during extreme body movement.

2. Drum corps will never be able to get away with wearing dance shoes for marching - the best they could do is tennis shoes, is my guess. You'd have rampant injury with a group marching heel first (or even toe-down, I'm guessing) in shoes with no support. Heck, it happens to some WITH supportive tennis shoes (like me).

• Like 2

This thread scares me.

The question that arises in my head would be

'What could any ensemble do in a more "athletic" or "dance-related" uniform (or costume, even) that they can't do now that would yield a more effective product on the field?' The Cadets may have done it in 2011, but I'm not really sure what more can be done...

• Like 1

Yes. They are as active today in performance as they were in the 50's too. Crowds love them wherever they perform. The current MM's are along in years, but they have not lost their touch in entertaining the general public type of audiences. They call themselves the " Preston Scout House Bugle Band ".

And they were using Bb horns back in the 50's.

• Like 2

In spite of all of this, there is one glaring trend that I might suggest is going very much down the wrong path. A break from the past here is certainly needed, but this can't be the right direction.

Everything is a mashup, rather than a concrete or cohesive idea..

Nothing about this is remotely connected with this decade and needs to change.

(is it the manufacturers driving this and influencing this, Rather than designs that are force-fit to be marching bandish.... something completely clean... from zero... re-imagined?

While we're at it... it is time for these silly ski bib pants to go. There is no body shape out there that this looks good on... also, costuming needs to be considered in the full context of the performance, which is wherever people are hanging out watching you do stuff. Watching guys warm up in bib pants is silly.

Seems like it is the manufacturers driving this... a little less awkward for the general public.

There goes Daniel Ray the Infallible again going over the top with unsubstantiated personal opinions and declaring them facts. Look at the above statements.

No examples for his proof, no examples for his solution but just alot of drama to get himself attention, and in this case I suspect the possibility that he can make money (based on his past thread opinions and proposals.)

Your business presentation is very flawed and limited. What are your goals? What are your parameters? What public proves your point of view or is it me, myself, and I ???

Why does the anything based in history, even the military, make you feel awkward??? DCP is not supposed to be a substitute therapist's couch.

Are you proposing that Cirque does it right with its costuming or are you seeking something like this?

More Dutch Boy that Dutch Boy drum corps ever was on the field.

It's always easier to tear down than to build up. If you want build up, give us something other than hystrionic drama.

Drilltech 1 has on several threads agreed partially with you that the current controlling lobby of DCI is the uniform manufacturers whom he calls the "fabric and fringe crowd" yet he gets tremendously red negatives for this. What are you presenting as proof to further his/this perspective other than just your opinions?

Edited by normy diploome
  • Like 1

And I think you have to dig pretty hard to make the military connection; I can't think of any corps that reminds me of military except Madison - which I'm fine with.

I'm thinking kilts for everyone.

ahem, Troopers??

• Like 1