Wrong Step in Right Direction

20 hours ago, danielray said:

Well, I counted one world class corps in bib pants in the lot this summer.

Hats are also not as much of a thing these days.

This has to be a record for coming back to mic drop, but hey...  you earned it!  😁

Mike

• Haha 1

Caution...non PC post here...

The current costume trend towards sequined leotards and bodysuits hurts drum corps recruitment. I have talked with several young musicians who have said "I wouldn't be caught dead wearing a goofy girly costume like that". I really think the activity is limiting its potential recruits. I would love to see the drum corps activity do what the NFL & MLB do with using throwback uniforms. Obviously it wouldn't make financial sense for a corps to have a throwback uni for just 1 show, so make it for the entire season. Each corps can use a throwback uniform. I wonder what the reaction would be? I am guessing (hoping) that the response would reinvigorate the activity and bolster recruiting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, danielray said:

Well, I counted one world class corps in bib pants in the lot this summer.

Hats are also not as much of a thing these days.

French horns and trombones have been used extensively.

Front ensembles have been moved all around.

Costumes have been used to create new visual effects (ex: Colts last summer).

Corps started exploring pre-recorded announcements (ex: Bluecoats).

DCI and several corps started outsourcing several aspects of operations, including merch.

Um, this one also happened, but in a much different way.

Anyway, if you want to know what drum corps will be doing in 2028... happy to share some unsubstantiated personal opinion. 🙂

Pretty funny!

But here's how your first post in the last thread ended:

"FOR THOSE THAT MISS THE OBVIOUS: I think Hopkins (and pretty much every director out there) is doing a stellar job. I simply used the example of a director that fans are often openly critical of to more clearly illustrate the point."

It turns out that George Hopkins was not doing a stellar job. Not if that job is understood to include treating staff and members appropriately.

• Thanks 4

3 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Pretty funny!

But here's how your first post in the last thread ended:

"FOR THOSE THAT MISS THE OBVIOUS: I think Hopkins (and pretty much every director out there) is doing a stellar job. I simply used the example of a director that fans are often openly critical of to more clearly illustrate the point."

It turns out that George Hopkins was not doing a stellar job. Not if that job is understood to include treating staff and members appropriately.

On my way scrolling down to the bottom of Daniel's post I kept thinking How do I tactfully say that even a blind squirrel can smell nuts and survive.  But then I read your reply and realized I didn't have to!

Can't take all credit away from Daniel, but I think he was only reflecting, as our activity currently and still does, the futuristic design notions of a few minds with whom he has, or had, close relationships.  I can tell you with pretty good accuracy where the stock market will be trading in 10 years.  I think Daniel knows that the harder prediction is what's going to happen next week, next month, or next year.

Hey Daniel, you might consider stopping here more than once every 5 or 6 years!

Edited by garfield

17 hours ago, FlamMan said:

I have talked with several young musicians who have said "I wouldn't be caught dead wearing a goofy girly costume like that". 

I do not believe you. And if this is somehow true, the activity doesn't need sexist PoS's like these people. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, MotoSurfBass said:

I do not believe you. And if this is somehow true, the activity doesn't need sexist PoS's like these people. 

So a Male who chooses not to wear a feminine costume is a POS? Must be a deplorable!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, MotoSurfBass said:

I do not believe you. ...

I've heard similar both on the East Coast and in Colorado. 

Amazing how similarly "close minded" some of the "clothes minded" can be when judging themselves avant garde: sounds like you are saying: Accept my artistic genius or get out.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, xandandl said:

I've heard similar both on the East Coast and in Colorado. 

Amazing how similarly "close minded" some of the "clothes minded" can be when judging themselves avant garde: sounds like you are saying: Accept my artistic genius or get out.

Yup.

55 minutes ago, Brian Tuma said:

I want a flowy drapey shiny satin tunic with a big pointy collar accessorized with a fancy wide belt ala 1970’s DCI and I want it now! None of this “feminine” stuff!

Don’t forget gauntlets and big silver cumberbund....

And white shoes dadgumit....

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Haha 2