Wrong Step in Right Direction

8 hours ago, FTNK said:

I’ll say this: it sucks when the designers make you wear something that is supposed to be hip and trendy and cutting edge, but you and everyone else in the corps(and stands) knows it looks stupid.

Exactly right and many kids dont march because of it. There is no cool factor anymore...no bad a55 unis.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

to you. not everyone feels as you do.

The difference between masculine and feminine is obvious and apparent to everyone.

• Haha 1

Since marching has been replaced by dance (essentially); what was the process that Martha Graham or Merce Cunningham used in consultation with their costume designers in bringing costume relevance to modern dance..Seems to me that with limited suppliers corps might be afraid to go truly "outside the box" exploring more simplistic alternatives...freedom of movement and show relevance can still be attained without everyone "glitzed up"...As long as the costumes are relevant to the theme, let the music once again be the focal point of the show..Note: I no longer refer to drum corps wear as uniforms...except for Madison last season...All the above is IMHO..peace

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, FlamMan said:

Exactly right and many kids dont march because of it. There is no cool factor anymore...no bad a55 unis.

Ask a kid today if they would rather wear the military type or satin blouses or BITD uniform verses todays. You might be enlightened. I do several auditions every year and in close contact with ALL aspects of the activity and believe what you want ( I don't debate my actual experience up close to these corps and kids ) but I see and hear quite different, especially if the question is worded fairly.

AS far as fem, verses Masc. I know some pretty fem. people who sported the bad Azz uniforms you speak of as well. No judgement at all, as it should be.

Don't get me wrong, there were many years bitd I loved what was worn even the one you sported ( not early years ) hated that boy scout  old fashioned look and I know plenty who didn't march till the guard lost the caps and went to an Aussie but as one who marched BITD and who loved the excitement, for me I would have loved the opportunity to do a 2019 show. This doesn't not mean respect is not due to everything that came before the current Drum Corps experience and style AND IT SHOULD BUT I wish that was a 2 way street.

Edited by GUARDLING

24 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Ask a kid today if they would rather wear the military type or satin blouses or BITD uniform verses todays. You might be enlightened. I do several auditions every year and in close contact with ALL aspects of the activity and believe what you want ( I don't debate my actual experience up close to these corps and kids ) but I see and hear quite different, especially if the question is worded fairly.

AS far as fem, verses Masc. I know some pretty fem. people who sported the bad Azz uniforms you speak of as well. No judgement at all, as it should be.

Don't get me wrong, there were many years bitd I loved what was worn even the one you sported ( not early years ) hated that boy scout  old fashioned look and I know plenty who didn't march till the guard lost the caps and went to an Aussie but as one who marched BITD and who loved the excitement, for me I would have loved the opportunity to do a 2019 show. This doesn't not mean respect is not due to everything that came before the current Drum Corps experience and style AND IT SHOULD BUT I wish that was a 2 way street.

BITD most of us weren't music or dance majors..we were happy just to be able to perform, period..Times have changed(obviously) and the performers, as you have outlined, are reflective of that change..peace

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, waliman4444 said:

BITD most of us weren't music or dance majors..we were happy just to be able to perform, period..Times have changed(obviously) and the performers, as you have outlined, are reflective of that change..peace

This is true BUT to say everyone was happy with what they wore even BITD would not be accurate either  ( plenty of examples of that, as Im sure there are those today). Bottom line is respect for those of the past and what " We" did should be a given BUT that should apply to performers, etc etc of today and what they do. There are those who don't get respect is a 2 way street NOT a one way one.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

1980, with DCA's Sunrisers.... our "rainbow cape" uniforms that year.

Well... they sure looked good on paper. :tongue:  What seemed to be a good idea, gone wrong. LOL

they helped the birds Westshore left for you

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, FlamMan said:

ok. we'll let you win

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, FlamMan said:

The difference between masculine and feminine is obvious and apparent to everyone.

ok we'll let you win. it's easier to just nod smile and say you're right

• Haha 2