Wrong Step in Right Direction

7 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Not saying that this isn't the case, but if you're making the decision to march a corps based off of the uniform rather than the opportunity to learn and perform, you probably need to re-evaluate your premise for marching corps. Just sayin'

not that long ago, even in this century yet, what the corps wore was part of the elan of the corps and part of the drawing mechanism which inspired the new mms to auditions. With the constant shift with instructional faculties today, corps have become more cookie-cutter and not as unique as once were (e.g. 27th was quite distinctive and never to be confused with the Bridgemen.) Today the cutting-edge borders are not as distinct.

Now it is as often who the designers are or instructors are with mms following some name like lemmings off a cliff, all in the hope of padding the resume' for non-existent future employment in the music field.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, xandandl said:

not that long ago, even in this century yet, what the corps wore was part of the elan of the corps and part of the drawing mechanism which inspired the new mms to auditions. With the constant shift with instructional faculties today, corps have become more cookie-cutter and not as unique as once were (e.g. 27th was quite distinctive and never to be confused with the Bridgemen.) Today the cutting-edge borders are not as distinct.

Now it is as often who the designers are or instructors are with mms following some name like lemmings off a cliff, all in the hope of padding the resume' for non-existent future employment in the music field.

I wouldn't disagree with that statement at all. In fact, my father LOVED Troopers and the 27th uniforms as did I. I've said it before and I will say it again...I too enjoyed the ability to know which corps was coming onto the field by their uniforms. The individuality added something to it for me and I was proud to wear every single uni during my MM days. 

That being said, the fans now are a generation which is far less steeped in the tradition than even I was back in the 80's ( I saw my first show in 84 and marched my first in 87 remember.) I get to have a unique window into the soul of the new generation of fan because my girlfriend is 28 and had literally zero drum corps knowledge prior to two years ago. The new style of uniform (call it a costume if you must,) is just part of "the production" as she sees it. It adds to the story being told (or detracts from it,) rather than just identifying a corps as unique. 

I can see how for many of the fans who came through the generations, how everything now is starting to look cookie cutter. I just try to see it through new eyes. My eyes are kinda shot anyways so I might as well use theirs. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lance said:

pretty sure that all real men in here aspire to flamman's conception of masculinity. 

we can all learn a lot from flamman.

i mean that.  

Speak for yourself 

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Not slamming anyone but having flashbacks to AM radio years back and daily bit of Mr Manly. 

Always had a bit of the manly thing to say to women per the “Manly Manual”. And ended with something like “and when the doctor asks how a drink umbrella ended up in your nose you know what kind of manly man you are”.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I wouldn't disagree with that statement at all. In fact, my father LOVED Troopers and the 27th uniforms as did I. I've said it before and I will say it again...I too enjoyed the ability to know which corps was coming onto the field by their uniforms. The individuality added something to it for me and I was proud to wear every single uni during my MM days. 

That being said, the fans now are a generation which is far less steeped in the tradition than even I was back in the 80's ( I saw my first show in 84 and marched my first in 87 remember.) I get to have a unique window into the soul of the new generation of fan because my girlfriend is 28 and had literally zero drum corps knowledge prior to two years ago. The new style of uniform (call it a costume if you must,) is just part of "the production" as she sees it. It adds to the story being told (or detracts from it,) rather than just identifying a corps as unique. 

I can see how for many of the fans who came through the generations, how everything now is starting to look cookie cutter. I just try to see it through new eyes. My eyes are kinda shot anyways so I might as well use theirs. 

YES it was distinct BITD BUT what made it distinct was also corps were wearing the same thing year after year. Often some corps played the same music year after year also. To me that's more cookie cutter. How many corps sported the cadet type uniform just in different colors..many

Not that everything new is good and that can go back to the beginning of time, looking through fresh eyes or even at times forcing ones self to honestly look at things from another perspective is NOT a bad thing. Not everything will please everyone all the time, nor should it. If it did how would we have our favorites.

• Thanks 2