Wrong Step in Right Direction

DanielRay: Solving problems that don't exist.

I can see a lot of practical benefits for the bib pants style. Mainly that they stay on. But you're missing the #1 consideration: cost. Breaking the standard pattern of uniform design means the uniform providers would need new equipment and new methods. Crown has gone pretty nuts this year, IMO, but they use the bib pants, jacket, and shako because that's what's cost-effective. If anything, we should be arguing for corps to stick with their uniforms for a few more years than they do. Crown replaces uniforms after three years. Cadets, Blue Devils, Cavaliers even more often it seems. Unlike instruments or flags, these things are unlikely to be resold at a good price. When these corps are screaming for bigger paychecks, we should be asking them to justify how they're spending the money.

• Like 4

Sorry buddy - I'm looking for a corps to wow me with precision and powerful sound..... Not elf costumes and "body movement"

I keep clicking the plus.

Me, too.

And I wouldn't mind seeing and hearing that from a group that wears Marine blues.

I wore Navy "cracker jacks" to walk around San Diego, but I'm not sure I'd want to see a whole corps of them.

• Like 1

I can see a lot of practical benefits for the bib pants style. Mainly that they stay on. But you're missing the #1 consideration: cost. Breaking the standard pattern of uniform design means the uniform providers would need new equipment and new methods. Crown has gone pretty nuts this year, IMO, but they use the bib pants, jacket, and shako because that's what's cost-effective. If anything, we should be arguing for corps to stick with their uniforms for a few more years than they do. Crown replaces uniforms after three years. Cadets, Blue Devils, Cavaliers even more often it seems. Unlike instruments or flags, these things are unlikely to be resold at a good price. When these corps are screaming for bigger paychecks, we should be asking them to justify how they're spending the money.

Again with the 'plus' clicks...

I wore Navy "cracker jacks" to walk around San Diego, but I'm not sure I'd want to see a whole corps of them.

Compared with some uniform outfits I see today, these wouldn't be much worse, imo and with the general public, they might even be received better than some we see on the field today. I'm not saying I WANT to see a Corps in this, but if you give me something to compare it with, then its not such an easy choice to make for someone like me. While most of the current unis of Corps are quite good, imo the ones that are bad ( not naming names here ) are just so freaken hideous in my personal assessment that even outlandish Navy " cracker jacks " would be better than what they're currently donning. And lets not forget that as recently as last season, a Corps in DCI had them on the field in their show for a uniform.

Edited by BRASSO

I'm no uniform expert but, on the point of "guys" warming up in the lot in bibbies, I wonder, what would you do in the alternative? Suspenders? Belts? Rope? How do you keep the pants up around the hips on those players whose physique is an inverted triangle from the belly down? Do we really want to be that YouTube of one tuba player whose pants fall down around his ankles?

I don't get the angst. Jackets are worn on the field. The uniform should compliment the show. Nobody is stopping corps from doing different or weird things, yet, they still wear bibs for the practical benefits.

And I think you have to dig pretty hard to make the military connection; I can't think of any corps that reminds me of military except Madison - which I'm fine with. There's not much military on the WGI floor either.

I'm thinking kilts for everyone.

Or just pants... ditch the pseudo military thing and you can wear proper pants.

The bib thing makes guys in the lot look sloppy... like kids heading out on a ski trip or to plant potatoes.

Drum corps is a very athletic activity, but athletes are running around in nurses shoes and polyester. Makes zero sense.

Guard uniforms are only marginally better. They are usually some shiny unitard with various scraps of fabric added on with big hair and bold makeup.

Best guard uniform in the history of the activity - Star 93. It caused you to focus on what the performer is doing, not what they are wearing.

P.S - front-striped pants

Becker and Cesario need to stop designing DCI Corps uniforms. Stick to the WGI crapola. :thumbup:

• Like 2

Cost is roughly the same.

Current styles of uniforms run about $300 per performer and can last about 3 seasons.

Stuff I'm talking about would probably runs about $100 per performer and last a season.

Or just pants... ditch the pseudo military thing and you can wear proper pants.

Drum corps is a very athletic activity, but athletes are running around in nurses shoes and polyester. Makes zero sense.

Well, if you want to "ditch the military thing", and align with "athletes" style attire ( and in the summer heat no less ), why not just go with shorts ? Not just with the gals ( Blue Stars, 70's already have done this ) but " break with tradition altogether " and just go with soccer boxer shorts for the guys ? This way everybody will understand that the activity has fully evolved into a new form of a band that is pretty to look at, while athletic at the same time.

Why have the guys in long pants at all ? That in of itself is too traditional, isn't it ? especially in the summer. If we want to scrap tradition, then going with boxer shots for both girls and guys seems to be the way to fully and completely break with tradition if that is the goal. The soccer boxer shots, like the boxing shorts for Fighters can be quite eclectic, and multi- colored too. Personally, I 'd never want to see Corps in shorts in performance. But those that want to fully and completely break from tradition, then shorts seems to me to be both practical in the summer as well as fulfilling this compelling need on the part of some to fully break from tradition.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

So what should they go for? Sports uniforms?

baseball.jpg

160204.jpg

swimteam.jpg

Mens-Team-running-300.gif

4th_year_1985.jpg

I actually think dance is a better analogy to drum corps than sports, but their "uniforms" make even less sense:

628x471.jpg

dp_4.jpg

Edited by skywhopper

Well, if you want to "ditch the military thing", and align with "athletes" style attire ( and in the summer heat no less ), why not just go with shorts ? Not just with the gals ( Blue Stars, 70's already have done this ) but " break with tradition altogether " and just go with soccer boxer shorts for the guys ? This way everybody will understand that the activity has fully evolved into a new form of a band that is pretty to look at, while athletic at the same time.

Why have the guys in long pants at all ? That in of itself is too traditional, and besides, while the US military does not wear shorts, other military uints in other countries do, yet guys in

The Navy used to, though. The tropical uniforms were retired around the time I got out, a few years ago, when they simplified the seabag.

Edited by dcsnare93