Scores in 1974

In 1974 the World Open allowed corps the option of doing a short (Veterans Rules) prelim show. Most non DCI corps chose that option. The DCI corps had no short show prepared, and were compelled to do their full show. This disparity cost at least one DCI corps a place in the finals that year.

Edited by reallyoldfrt

I've heard bits of several different stories about how corps would use loopholes in the wording of the rules for Short Shows to their competitive advantage. If I'm not mistaken, a corps doing this was what led (at least in part) to the infamous I. C. Reveries "Starting Line Sitdown" at VFW Nats in 1966.

Knowing that they're are a great many DCP followers who are much more "seasoned" that I, I would love it if there's anyone out there who could share a story or 2 such as this. SO much more fascinating to me than the pro/con debates about amplification and narration!

Madison was the culprit in 66 that "played" the rules ... in their Prelim show they left a single bass drummer marching and hitting a downbeat well after the corps proper left the field ... then when the 6 min gun fired he turned and went over the finish line ... 66 was wrought with protests and sheet errors and was just a mess ... Tony S at his finest when he went from 15 to 12 finalists at the last minute ... oh well ... only 49 years ago ...

:-)

• Like 2

Tony S also pulled a fast one at the 62 Nats in MN ... the Kilties and Cambridge were tied all day long at an 84.00, which would have allowed St. Raphael's into finals as the 13th corps ... Tony S hated the thought of 13 finalists ... just before prelims ended, the Kilties score miraculously changed to 84.05 ... hmmm ... like Ken Norman sez: Tony could always find ya a couple of tenths when needed ...

:-)

• Like 1

"Tony the Terrible":

1961, VFW Finals, Miami: The on-the-field brawl between St Marys Majestic Knights and St Vincents Cadets. Tony droned on through the scores, OBLIVIOUS to the "Gang Fight" going on just down the field.. No Fleetwood "Announcement of Scores" band that year as the battle sounds turned up on the mics. :throwupen:

1964: Cleavland: Garfield Cadets slip into VFW Finals with an incorrect Prelims number (Which THEY knew was wrong BTW) keeping the Bridgeport PAL Cadets and Racine Scouts, who had tied in Prelims for 13th place, out of the night show. I believe this happened to St Raphael's Buccaneers two years earlier. Guess Tony had it in for Connecticut units...... :music:

1966: The Prelim numbers shuffle (As described by Andy) that resulted in the famous "Sit In" by IC Reveries at Finals. :wow:

No doubt there are many more......

Elphaba

• Like 1

I LOVE THIS KIND OF HISTORY!!!!!!!!

If there's more, keep it coming....I don't care if I'm the only one interested!

Tony Schlecta seems to be quite the significant character in pre-DCI history. I've read everything written about him in the history books, and gotten bits & pieces sitting around the campfire over the years, but it sounds as though the stories about the man go MUCH deeper than what one can find in print!

For those "in the know", you have a rapt audience sitting here.....enlighten me!!!

"The Age of Enlightenment":

Tony Schlecta was quite the character, in an age of drum corps that was positively filled by them. It is very sad to see that these individuals are long gone. And with them so much of the "Character" of drum corps.

That "Roll Call" would include both Hy Drietzer and Joe Genero who taught us in the Lancers, Carmen Cluna, Bob Daniels, "Pepe Nataro", Walter Winkleman, Don Angelica, "Butch" Anderson, Alan Smythe, "Wild Bill" Hooten, Jimmy Russo, Bob BellaRosa, Ralph Silverbrand, the Yankee-Rebels "Stripper", and so many others that I'm sure Andy Lisko could bio.

A few years ago, I saw an article written by Al Karls, a former Racine Scout and DCI judge that described the current activity as "Vanilla".

Sad to say, it appears he was correct.

Elphaba

Edited by elphaba01
  • Like 2

"The Age of Enlightenment":

Tony Schlecta was quite the character, in an age of drum corps that was positively filled by them. It is very sad to see that these individuals are long gone. And with them so much of the "Character" of drum corps.

That "Roll Call" would include both Hy Drietzer and Joe Genero who taught us in the Lancers, Carmen Cluna, Bob Daniels, "Pepe Nataro", Walter Winkleman, Don Angelica, "Butch" Anderson, Alan Smythe, "Wild Bill" Hooten, Jimmy Russo, Bob BellaRosa, Ralph Silverbrand, the Yankee-Rebels "Stripper", and so many others that I'm sure Andy Lisko could bio.

A few years ago, I saw an article written by Al Karls, a former Racine Scout and DCI judge that described the current activity as "Vanilla".

Sad to say, it appears he was correct.

Elphaba

WOW. Neve thought about it,

I was in '66 VFW Nat's and saw all that Sit in stuff. also.

Then to Think I got too Meet with, Talk with, March with, Be Instrusted by, (at one time or anouther WITH):

That "Roll Call" - Hy Drietzer, Joe Genero, Carmen Cluna, "Pepe Nataro", Walter Winkleman, Don Angelica, Lefty Myers, Butch Anderson, Alan Smythe, "Wild Bill" Hooten, Jimmy Russo, Bob BellaRosa, Ralph Silverbrand, Marty & Jimmy Hurley, Ray Priester Andy Lisko, and MANY MORE.

• Like 1

The thing I've always appreciated most about all my years of drum corps experience was learning the "folklore". If you look at the bio below my posts, you can see that for the most part, I made my bones in drum corps as it began to evolve into what it has now become. However, I did have the opportunity to either be taught by, or teach with, some of the "next generation drum corps characters" who had personal encounters and stories about some of the true legends. Those storytelling sessions, and learning the true history of the (pre-DCI) activity were always some of my fondest moments.

As a result, I've always been tickled to come across kids that march today that are eager to hear the stories & learn the TRUE history of the activity, because they understand that the history of drum corps does indeed go back a little further than 1990. There aren't nearly enough of that type these days, and I believe that that's what has made This Thing Of Ours so vanilla!

Keep the stories coming - I'm completely hooked!!!

1964: Cleavland: Garfield Cadets slip into VFW Finals with an incorrect Prelims number (Which THEY knew was wrong BTW) keeping the Bridgeport PAL Cadets and Racine Scouts, who had tied in Prelims for 13th place, out of the night show.

Elphaba

Not only was Garfield's M & M score too high....it was 30.25 which was HIGHER than a PERFECT score!!

• Like 1