Stanford Showdown

Blue Devils C was cute - stunning? No. Entertaining? YES!!! Surprisingly clean as well. That drum line is HUGE and talented!!!

The guard was the lackluster part for me - I know they are young, but perhaps they could invest time in developing the choreography a bit more. None the less, the show was fun and I enjoyed it very much - actually I enjoyed BDC more than Vanguard Cadets and BDB.

Edited by Will

Obviously it comes off that way, but my question is sincere. What is being accomplished with BDC? Do people in BDC ever move up into world class corps? The design was worse than most high school marching bands I've seen. It just seems like if you aren't talented enough to do something more than that, then maybe your energy and money is better spent doing something you are more talented at. I just don't see what being in a corps like that would teach you in terms of being a better marching musician.

Well most (all?) of them are not yet high school aged, so why does that surprise you? I think it's admirable that they have a group dedicated to teaching young kids how to march/spin/play.

I'm not any kind of BD insider, but it seems like they frequently have stories about kids who come up through B and C and age out with A.

Just arrived, cool that there's WiFi here.

To be as blunt as possible, they are children. Yes they are having fun.

Its like asking why pioneer exists even though they know they are going to win at the end of the year, or at the very least ever make finals. (If they dont change themselves)

Its to give youth a chance to play in a drum corps. Pioneer you get world class experience with a WC schedule and going up against WC corps.

The sport isnt all about winning.

I apologize then. I didn't realize you could do drum corps at that age. I agree that it is great that they get that experience at such an early stage.

• Like 1

Are they? I guess they must be having fun ... else why would they do it? I can't comprehend how being in a corps like that would be fun though, to be honest.

If you understood the BD family, their music education and young adult development...you would understand how important the C corps is to the organization. The A corps particularly takes great pride in both B and C corps but they get positively ecstatic over the C corps. How they feed into each other as they grow is a byproduct...at the heart this organization is family.....and how do you have family without the very young.

• Like 3

On site and ready to report!

Anyone else lose their sound on the live broadcast ?

Speaking of Vanguard Cadets (which I did in my previous post hahaha): What the heck was that? "Art of War" does not come across very well. I know, I know... it's early. SO WHAT! The music doesn't make any sense with the theme and the drill was incredibly dirty. I like the potential in this show - tonight, though it was a big mess.

How old are they? I thought there was a minimum age requirement. Are the middle school age kids? If so, It makes more sense and I apologize for and retract my comepments. If they are Juniors and Seniors in high school ... I don't really see the point.

Their youngsters, for Chrissakes! Heck, if I lived in or near Concord I'd have my 13 year old who plays trumpet out there with them now, as his middle school does not have an outdoor music program at all. One of the kids currently performing with BD-C is the son of Jeff Pearson, SCV 81-85 vet and SCV's former director. I saw BD-C in Clovis last night and I was telling my son that BITD BD-C would play ARMY STRAIGHT BUGLES (IN G-- GASP!!!) and do variations on bugle calls while at a standstill, and they rocked! Now they have 8 year old beginners marching a field show, something no elementary or middle schools in our area do; what were you doing at age 8? Watching Spongebob or Ben 10?

Edited by TRacer

You're rude as can be. Yes, I believe many of those kids will move up into world class. Do you think those young dedicated kids are out there getting their kicks? They are performing and working hard to be on that field; it sure beats just hanging out in front of a television set all day. Although my child is not on that field with BDC, I would be a darn proud Mom if he or she were! :bluedevil:

• Like 1

Anyone else lose their sound on the live broadcast ?

Yep. 15 minutes until Mandarins, so I expect it will come back on shortly.