Bowling Green Brewery (6/23)

When did Boston get gray jackets?

I'd say, the folks posting have sought shelter.

Still pleanty of us here

Thia year. Someone posted in the Akron thread the detail of why.

I think Madison takes Cavies tonight.

I agree

Thia year. Someone posted in the Akron thread the detail of why.

Interesting. I don't like them.

• Like 1

1959. ( haha)

• Like 8

Interesting. I don't like them.

FYI from the website. I have a feeling that things will evolve and change as the season progresses and RISE to the occasion.

The Past Beckons

On Saturday, June 22, the Crusaders took the field in Akron, Ohio wearing something other than the widely recognized red and black uniforms for the first time in over 50 years.

When the design team discussed the concept of the 2013 production RISE, the color palette was a prime topic. As the meetings continued, the idea of changing the corps uniform to reflect the drab, dystopic atmosphere at the beginning of the show was floated to the team. But how could the corps change such an iconic uniform? The design team went back to the annals of Crusader history to the late 1950s.

The grey jackets that the corps are wearing this season are inspired by the West Point Cadet uniforms that then Senator John F. Kennedy helped the corps acquire in 1959. As the Crusaders evolved from the Most Precious Blood Crusaders into the Hyde Park Crusaders and then into the Boston Crusaders, with those changes came uniform and management changes. Following two years of performing in red and black, in 1959, the newly christened Boston Crusaders found themselves without uniforms for the season. John F. Kennedy stepped in and helped the corps purchase West Point uniforms directly from the United States Military Academy for the rumored price of $1 each. The corps wore various versions of this uniform that season until the standard red and black was reintroduced in 1960.

“We wanted to find a way to reflect the specific mood of this year’s show while maintaining a connection to the history of the corps,” said Program Coordinator Eric Kitchenman. “The Crusaders uniform is so iconic, we’re fortunate to have this small, authentic piece of history that we can tap into to make this season and this show even more meaningful.”

Spectators will also be treated to a little something special. As the season evolves, watch for the uniforms to as well.

• Like 1

FYI from the website. I have a feeling that things will evolve and change as the season progresses and RISE to the occasion.

The Past Beckons

On Saturday, June 22, the Crusaders took the field in Akron, Ohio wearing something other than the widely recognized red and black uniforms for the first time in over 50 years.

When the design team discussed the concept of the 2013 production RISE, the color palette was a prime topic. As the meetings continued, the idea of changing the corps uniform to reflect the drab, dystopic atmosphere at the beginning of the show was floated to the team. But how could the corps change such an iconic uniform? The design team went back to the annals of Crusader history to the late 1950s.

The grey jackets that the corps are wearing this season are inspired by the West Point Cadet uniforms that then Senator John F. Kennedy helped the corps acquire in 1959. As the Crusaders evolved from the Most Precious Blood Crusaders into the Hyde Park Crusaders and then into the Boston Crusaders, with those changes came uniform and management changes. Following two years of performing in red and black, in 1959, the newly christened Boston Crusaders found themselves without uniforms for the season. John F. Kennedy stepped in and helped the corps purchase West Point uniforms directly from the United States Military Academy for the rumored price of $1 each. The corps wore various versions of this uniform that season until the standard red and black was reintroduced in 1960.

"We wanted to find a way to reflect the specific mood of this year's show while maintaining a connection to the history of the corps," said Program Coordinator Eric Kitchenman. "The Crusaders uniform is so iconic, we're fortunate to have this small, authentic piece of history that we can tap into to make this season and this show even more meaningful."

Spectators will also be treated to a little something special. As the season evolves, watch for the uniforms to as well.

Thanks for clearing this up.

Why does it seem like everyone has 5 marimbas this year? That definitely wasn't the norm a few years ago.

Boston

Good: this show hit me better than yesterday. A better run for the horns. Performance is up for everyone with the large croud plus clouds of impending doom everywhere but the stadium.

Bad: the new uniforms lack definition and corps identity. Kinda botherin me. Unfortunately with so much awesomeness this year, especially with all the stick it to the man type shows, bac might be easy to lose in the mix.