Rain in Santa Clara

So being from California, it rarely rains in the summer and of all weeks, it's opening week for DCI LOL. So with rain in the forecast, what will the procedure for this show be if it rains? Will the show be moved indoors? Will it be a standstill performance only? Will it be canceled?

Reason why I ask is that I'll be traveling a bit far and don't want to be disappointed or waste time to travel to a canceled show. I absolutely do not mind a standstill performance!

Thanks! !

Ive been trying to find information on this, even calling SCV themselves; however, the person I talked to did not give me a straight answer at all.

Edited by NeutralNovice

Kind of depends on the severity and timing of the rain. If the show is halfway through, and it starts to pour, they will probably just call the entire show. But if it's a brief drizzle, they might just delay the show until the rain clears up. Every show is different. I don't think it will be moved inside though unless the rain gets really bad. Some shows just go into standby mode if it rains heavily for a short time. Hopefully it doesn't get rained out. Every competition is a chance for the corps to get better and improve their scores. A non-scored show can cause problems for a corps' competitive momentum down the line.

I think you will find that the event coordinators will try EVERYTHING they can to go ahead with the performances. The exception would be if there is lightning within a few miles of the stadium (pretty obvious there). Most times if the performances on the field are not possible, they will move it indoors to a gym etc. and do a standstill performance/encore type show instead. Either way, chances are likely you will still get SOMETHING to satisfy that awful craving. :guinesssmilie:

I know in Jackson, NJ last year, it POURED, we got get hit really hard with a nasty thunderstorm. But it moved out, and the grass field must have drained pretty well.. and they got the full show in.

Standstills are often an option with no pit if the field is awful. Or even with pit if the problem is no longer rain just a field you can't march on.

But usually if it starts raining during a show, and no sign of letting up they'll just call it.

Yeah, Jackson was a nasty, nasty storm. It was delayed but the show went on. We also got tons of rain at the TOC show at MetLife Stadium. They delayed for about 2 hours, and the show was an unjudged exhibition, but the corps did their full shows (for the most part).

• Like 1

This was a video I took before I had to get into my car at Jackson.. scary looking stuff.

So being from California, it rarely rains in the summer and of all weeks, it's opening week for DCI LOL. So with rain in the forecast, what will the procedure for this show be if it rains? Will the show be moved indoors? Will it be a standstill performance only? Will it be canceled?

Reason why I ask is that I'll be traveling a bit far and don't want to be disappointed or waste time to travel to a canceled show. I absolutely do not mind a standstill performance!

Thanks! !

Ive been trying to find information on this, even calling SCV themselves; however, the person I talked to did not give me a straight answer at all.

I've been in your situation many times. What I usually do is keep a close eye on the forecast in the few hours before I hit the road. Not sure how the weather is in Cali but over in SC, usually if the chance of precipitation is 40% or higher, it's a pretty good chance that there will be at least some rain. I also look at how long the rain is supposed to be in the area. This often changes the closer you get to the time of the event. As others have stated, sometimes when it rains the corps will at least do standstills, but I can tell you from experience that sometimes you get jack squat and they just tell everyone to go home. So I guess I'm saying it's a personal call weather or not to make the long trip.

On the radar at the moment, most of the rain is staying in the north end of the Bay area, but that's no guarantee for this evening.

Corps used to go in the rain. I sat through field show performances in memorable downpours in the 1980s. But they don't do this anymore. Two other factors that rule that out now are the faster drills and all the electronics. Sometimes field shows will go on without electronics in marginal weather, and other times they just pull the plug on the whole she-bang or do an outdoor or occasionally indoor standstill. Only the show promoter can tell you what Plan B is, and being Santa Clara in the summer where I was recently told here it NEVER rains in the summer by a local who was sure DCI wouldn't rule out holding championships in Santa Clara due to weather, they may not have even thought about it until the last few days.

My phone only shows 40% chance until 9 o'clock- that doesn't sound too threatening- especially for a smaller show.