Archer- Epler 1990

Click here: 1990 Archer-Epler Musketeers Senior Medley - YouTube

Once upon a time......

• Like 3

That was at the Cabs' annual show at Montclair State. Neither Jimmy, nor Butch, nor Dave had any idea of what we were doing - just asked them that night and they were good enough to come out. How about Jimmy Cossetti, that gay Caballero, on Cherry Pink and Apple Blossom White? We got to the conducted part of that and Jimmy looked at me with this big smile like "wish we had rehearsed this even once" but being one of the greatest ever, he just nailed it. Butch seemed to genuinely enjoy what he knew was a tribute Sky's rendition of Elk's Parade, which remains historically one for the ages. The only thing that could have made that night more fun would have been George Parks for Reading.

The late great Mike Snow doing his best Dirty Eddie imitation, Nick Rizzi reprising his original Striptease on Yankee Rebels' "Stripper" of the early '60s. Danny Fitz doing a little Dixie riff on french horn, Carol Fallon (no coincidence) wearing the same uni she wore in Hurricanes playing Doug Oravez' solo in Magnificent 7.

Thanks for posting that - I forgot how much fun that was, or that I ever had that much hair. That show was truly a labor of love.

• Like 1

an accurate assessment Ray.....it truly was alabor of love, but also of great respect for those great corps.....still get the goosebumps over watching it, even with those missed centers....yeah, we were 'raw' but man how we could play and it only got better....and how could it go wrong with Georgie Hayek as my dresser behind the curtains

Guido

That was at the Cabs' annual show at Montclair State. Neither Jimmy, nor Butch, nor Dave had any idea of what we were doing - just asked them that night and they were good enough to come out. How about Jimmy Cossetti, that gay Caballero, on Cherry Pink and Apple Blossom White? We got to the conducted part of that and Jimmy looked at me with this big smile like "wish we had rehearsed this even once" but being one of the greatest ever, he just nailed it. Butch seemed to genuinely enjoy what he knew was a tribute Sky's rendition of Elk's Parade, which remains historically one for the ages. The only thing that could have made that night more fun would have been George Parks for Reading.

The late great Mike Snow doing his best Dirty Eddie imitation, Nick Rizzi reprising his original Striptease on Yankee Rebels' "Stripper" of the early '60s. Danny Fitz doing a little Dixie riff on french horn, Carol Fallon (no coincidence) wearing the same uni she wore in Hurricanes playing Doug Oravez' solo in Magnificent 7.

Thanks for posting that - I forgot how much fun that was, or that I ever had that much hair. That show was truly a labor of love.

• Like 1

oh, wasn't the show at Wm. Patterson College that year?????

an accurate assessment Ray.....it truly was alabor of love, but also of great respect for those great corps.....still get the goosebumps over watching it, even with those missed centers....yeah, we were 'raw' but man how we could play and it only got better....and how could it go wrong with Georgie Hayek as my dresser behind the curtains

Guido

PLEASE forgive the personal note to Mr. J: John and Kay Keays visited us today.

mario (I don't have Mr. J's e-mail.) BklynMario@aol.com

oh, wasn't the show at Wm. Patterson College that year?????

I think you're right about the venue - there was a summer show at Montclair State...

My memory isn't what it used to be...

by the way who are you and what have you done with my chops? I can't find them anywhere...

Oh, yeah... that's right - you're Jim, and I never had any...

I get so confused now...

yeah, yeah, it's easy for you to say, but have you seen my testosterone???? I've lost mine

Guido

I think you're right about the venue - there was a summer show at Montclair State...

My memory isn't what it used to be...

by the way who are you and what have you done with my chops? I can't find them anywhere...

Oh, yeah... that's right - you're Jim, and I never had any...

I get so confused now...

Click here: 1990 Archer-Epler Musketeers Senior Medley - YouTube

Once upon a time......

that looked like it was a lot of fun.

while i was there i watched the hurcs 1969 dream. WOW!!! what a show and a great drumline. it was good watching my old friend ray luedee do his thing. it made miss him. i met him in syracuse that year and we were friends until i left corps. but what a great corps that was!!!

Edited by donincardona

that looked like it was a lot of fun.

while i was there i watched the hurcs 1969 dream. WOW!!! what a show and a great drumline. it was good watching my old friend ray luedee do his thing. it made miss him. i met him in syracuse that year and we were friends until i left corps. but what a great corps that was!!!

The 1969 Dream was one of the very few shows that at the end I truly had no idea who should win, and actually didn't care. The Yankee Rebels were magnificent at that show, and as you pointed out the Hurcs were electrifying - Genero became my idol as a drum corps conductor that day. Not a drum major, but as a conductor. That was one of my favorite afternoons of drum corps of all times, which was good as the next time I saw a show was 1974 after the military.

Good memories, and you're right - the 1990 Archie show was fun. During the fall of 1989 Archie rehearsed fairly regularly with 14 - 20 horns. We kept plugging and by the end of 1990 we had 60+. You can put most of that at the feet of young Mr Cossetti who goes by Jimbalaya around these parts. 90 - 93 were some fun times to be around Archie, and Alumni Corps (which were were trying to brand as "Classic Drum Corps" during those years) in general.

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind words Ray......a lot of good people made THAT corps ('89 - '95) a performance animal....how many DCA exhibitions??? the chorus won 3 out of 4 DCA championships...setting a performance standard that lives on to this day (remember we inttegrated the vocals into the show, using the brass as support....I think we just happened to have the right people at the right time

Guido

'ah 'twas beauty killed the beast'

The 1969 Dream was one of the very few shows that at the end I truly had no idea who should win, and actually didn't care. The Yankee Rebels were magnificent at that show, and as you pointed out the Hurcs were electrifying - Genero became my idol as a drum corps conductor that day. Not a drum major, but as a conductor. That was one of my favorite afternoons of drum corps of all times, which was good as the next time I saw a show was 1974 after the military.

Good memories, and you're right - the 1990 Archie show was fun. During the fall of 1989 Archie rehearsed fairly regularly with 14 - 20 horns. We kept plugging and by the end of 1990 we had 60+. You can put most of that at the feet of young Mr Cossetti who goes by Jimbalaya around these parts. 90 - 93 were some fun times to be around Archie, and Alumni Corps (which were were trying to brand as "Classic Drum Corps" during those years) in general.