Mandarins 2013

Everyone has there specific 2013 threads and there wasn't one for the Mandarins.

I actually REALLY enjoy this years show. When I first heard it was solely original compositions I was skeptical at first, but their composer did absolutely a fantastic job. (Hats off to you Key Poulan) This years show is the 50th for the Mandarins and they brought their heritage with them to share with the audience.

The Mandarins wrote a show everyone can enjoy, on so many levels. Musically, the melodies are fun and easily recognizable, Visually, some really neat stuff is going on, and Emotionally, The Story is one a lot of people can relate too. Plus, the story shows pride in heritage but also tips it's hat to patriotism, as Americans we all can relate to that. Also, The narration doesn't get in the way of the show it or cover up music.

Mandarins aren't always the best scoring corps never making it to finals as highest placement being 16th but this is a show that is enjoyable and for 2013 is one of my favorites and I'm excited to see how they progress throughout the year.

Edited by Nicholas Villane
  • Like 7

I have to agree with you! I saw the Mandarins at the Stanford show last week, and really, really liked them! I've always supported them, as I do all Cali corps.....but I was especially impressed with them this year! The show is so entertaining, and the story....wonderful. I'd also like to give special props to the color guard. They were so effectively emotional, that you couldn't help but be pulled into the show. Oh, and I loved the dresses on the girls....very retro and charming! :smile:

• Like 2

I really enjoyed seeing them twice last week. I think that they finally wrote a show appropriate for the corps they have, and it will do well for them. I think they'll end up somewhere between 16-20 once all is said and done, which is a nice improvement for them. The narration really works, because it perfectly matches their show and tells a great story.

• Like 2

I'm so glad to see some love for the Mandarins! I really enjoy their show this year.

Does the Disney award still exist? If so, they should be a contender.

I think what is awesome about this show is that it takes a narrow focus (the story of a Chinese guy immigrating to the US) and makes it completely connectable and meaningful, no matter who you are or what your background is. Combine that ability with entirely original music, well... hot dang, that is a note-worthy drum corps show! Given the debate on immigration, I find this show extremely relevant.

I hope that this show continues to be received well and hope their score increases - I think that they are getting a little shafted.

Way to go Mandarins!

• Like 1

I'll reiterate the kudos I've given Mandarins in other threads. This is the first truly great use of narration in DCI, IMO. It's not overlong and doesn't trample on the music. And more importantly, it tells a beautiful, real story. As others have pointed out it's a patriotic tale, but it doesn't pull punches about how welcoming America was to Chinese immigrants at the time. It ties into the Mandarins' own history and relates to current events, but most importantly it's true, it doesn't go for melodrama, it's not maudlin or sappy. It's just a great story set against great music and visuals from the corps.

I'm very interested to see how they do against Oregon this year. Thanks Mandarins for a great show! Keep up the good work, and I look forward to seeing you improve throughout the season! :thumbup:

• Like 3

Just wanted to pop in here and say how impressed I am by the Mandarins so far this season. I've only been able to catch them on the Fan Network, but I really enjoy their show. They're a lot cleaner early in the season than I recall seeing in recent years, and also much bigger. Is this their biggest corps ever? I don't think I've ever seen them with 60+ horns.

Wishing the Mandarins lots of luck the rest of the way.

• Like 1

Mandarins broke 70 tonight! (70.3)

I know it is far, far too early and the comparisons are not even close to being accurate, but as of now, Mandarins are #15 - WOW!

KEEP IT UP!

If you haven't seen their show, please check it out - it is great!!

• Like 1

Yeah, I just noticed that. No discussion thread for the Sacramento show, I guess because they were the only World Class corps there.

2.4 point improvement from six days ago. At that rate they'll end up with a score of 83.2, which would be their best finish ever.

(And I see BDB is on top of Open Class again, though SCVC is still hanging within one point of them.)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Link to discussion threads for all 2013 World Class corps

• Like 1

Their score at Pleasant Hill tonight was up another point (and change) from last night in Sacramento. Nice!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Link to discussion threads for all 2013 World Class corps