When did the terminology change?

Soprano is now Trumpet, Contra is now Tuba and Color Guard is Flags? What gives? Makes it sound like marching band, which drum corps definitely is not. #notdiggingit

• Like 4

Soprano is now Trumpet, Contra is now Tuba and Color Guard is Flags? What gives? Makes it sound like marching band, which drum corps definitely is not. #notdiggingit

Circa 2000

• Like 2

Bells turned into Mallets, Mallets turned into Tuned Percussion, Tuned Percussion turned into The Pit and The Pit The Pit turned into the Front Ensemble.

I've probably missed a few steps in there...

.... However, "drum corps" captures that which is unique to the activity...the heart and soul that can't be quantified or defined in traditional terms. The term "Drum corps" says something about the experience, the camaraderie, the chill down the spine we fans get when everything clicks for us. That meaning of the term is something that would take this writer a hundred pages just to pen the preface. And for that reason, drum corps is "drum corps" to me and not "marching band."

This.

worthy.gif

Boo, you're awesome!

• Like 1

Then call them whatever you want. Me personally, I prefer to call a trumpet a trumpet and a tuba a tuba. Because that's what they are. I'm nutty like that. w00t.gif

• Like 2

On DCP (which I joined in 2009), I was still seeing people amend others' use of "tuba" to "contra", etc., as late as 2011 but hardly at all since then.