When did the terminology change?

Aren't Sousaphones allowed under the rules--brass, 3 valves, and bell-front?

No. French horns like those used in an orchestra are not allowed either.

Going back to the 70s and 80s, there was a bigger difference between band and corps. But now, DCI has evolved to become more and more like band. That's not an insult. It's the result of a series of rules changes by the DCI boards of directors over the years. What's left? Woodwinds, trombones and Sousaphones? Once they are in, the transition to marching band will be complete.

Did drum corps "evolve" into bands or is it the other way around? As a band person who has followed drum corps for nearly 40 years, most of the innovations I saw first on the drum corps field later made their way to bands. What has changed is that most bands do not try and duplicate what they see done by a drum corps first as they would have not too long ago, but drum corps still sets the standard. Now as I say this, I know there are very innovative bands, but I don't think we're at the point where drum corps x says band y did this so we have to do it too.

I do agree that the changes in instrumentation have made drum corps less distinct, but for me, the loss is in the intangibles that made drum corps drum corps. Since very few corps have feeder units or a training in smaller local corps, that uniqueness seems to be gone. Now I know that back in the glory days kids were not trained as well musically in many corps, many as late as the mid 70's could not read music at all. Yes, "Mr. Smith" at the local elementary school was far better at musical training than "Mr. Smith" the good hearted dad who volunteered at the local drum corps and may have only learned how to play the day before he had to instruct (there are tons of these stories), but beginning in drum corps at 8 or 9, continuing until age out, competing locally and perhaps when you're older competing nationally, the special training and traditions, are all but lost now. There are many reasons for this: cost of running a drum corps, lack of interest, more activities for kids, and improved school programs are all factors, but from my vantage point this is what is lost in drum corps and it's not coming back. School programs are excellent, but it's just not the same.

BTW: This is not unique to drum corps. AAU, DCI's athletic equivalent is often blamed for ruining kids sports.

Edited by Tim K

So.....Bridgemen in the 80s had trumpets then?? :blink:/> :blink:/>

And Crossmen(?) had part trumpets and part sops as the bells were brass plated on the inside...

Yeah BITD we used voice names now the instrument name. I wasn't following corps for some years then went to a DCI show in Hershey 2003. Crown had a display with buttons that said "I play Trumpet" and the like. This was me when I saw it ----> :blink: (LOL)

No. French horns like those used in an orchestra are not allowed either.

French horn I understand--they aren't bell-front.

What rule disqualifies Sousaphones?

French horn I understand--they aren't bell-front.

What rule disqualifies Sousaphones?

Chapter and verse, I'm not sure. trombones are also in this category. I believe it has to do with the way the instruments are carried and or positioned, but I could be wrong.

Edited by Tim K

Actually you're talking about a Sousaphone.

This is a traditional tuba on the march: http://en.wikipedia....mAndTuba_wb.jpg

This is a contrabass: http://en.wikipedia....Contrabugle.jpg

the difference being the lead pipe and which way it turns.

This is a Sousaphone: http://en.wikipedia....hone_dsc112.jpg

You need a LOT of help with your verbiage! tongue.gif

Hahaha. Yes, outside of percussion this is true!

Well since we're on the topic of names... The "french horn" should actually just called the "horn" in English

At least according to the IHS..

"The International Horn Society recommends that HORN be recognized as the correct name for our instrument in the English language.

[From the Minutes of the First General Meeting, June 15, 1971, Tallahassee, Florida USA]"

Chapter and verse, I'm not sure. trombones are also in this category. I believe it has to do with the way the instruments are carried and or positioned, but I could be wrong.

Trombones are disqualified because they (normally) don't have valves--ignoring the usual F-attachment.

Trombones are disqualified because they (normally) don't have valves--ignoring the usual F-attachment.

I don't recall the exact wording of the rule change, but the spirit behind it was that they be bell-front, with valves (hence, no trombones), pitched in any key, and that they visually "resemble" the (as then) current paradigm of drum corps bugles. Hence, no sousaphones.

I would love to hear a hornline with piccolo sops, conventional sops, french horns, mellos, baris, euphs and contras all playing the same chord at the same time. That would be awesome. Hey, I can dream can't I? :smile:

Edited by Piper