A little rant for some staff

Bash on the guard staff time? So unexpected. At least you realized they had a guard out there due to their reaction, even if you didn't like their reaction.

So often, especially in forums like these, guard is underrated and undervalued. At least someone was in the audience cheering for the guard moments.

i expect to see at least 10 negatives for this commentary :-)

• Like 2

Certain folks just seem to be more overtly effusive than the norm. The fact that it happens more often at guard shows and with guard staff is likely just a coincidence.

• Like 1

Bash on the guard staff time? So unexpected. At least you realized they had a guard out there due to their reaction, even if you didn't like their reaction.

So often, especially in forums like these, guard is underrated and undervalued. At least someone was in the audience cheering for the guard moments.

I don't think anyone has discussed, let alone bash, any color guards. The occasional obnoxious guard staff, on the other hand...

• Like 3

All I can say to this is... :blink: ...really?

You shouldn't have written all of those 1-2/2-3 back and forth 16th note fingering drills into the show, man. :laugh:/>

Good thing third valve is an alternate for 1 and 2 :-P

Perhaps 1 -> 2/3? Say... the trumpet parts for Variations on a Korean Folk Song?

This topic tends to come up at least once a year (not necessarily just guard, but "Staff applause" in general".

As a band director and percussion director, I get it. You work so hard out there with your members so if they "nail it", you want to give it up. Even if its not in a programmed "Applause moment" but I agree that it takes AWAY from your own cause when you get ridiculous and over the top with it. Over the years I have seen this with many units outdoor and even more so in INDOOR. (not to hijack the thread) but man.. its SOOOO annoying in indoor because its just so much louder in a gym than outdoors. Especially when some of these groups design these programs to soft expressive music and then someone throws a Double on Sabre and 6 or 7 people Erupt in ridiculous over the top applause and screaming. The excuse I usually hear is "my kids can hear me and it encourages them". I wont pretend to know everyone elses members, but that seems a little silly to me. lol.

Anyway, I think we should only have crazy loud cheers if the audience is compelled to give it. Theres my two cents. Im sure i will get change...

• Like 5

I doubt anyone who posts to these boards fails to notice the guard. However, what they notice in the instances under discussion is that some staff seem to think that their members' achievements will only be noticed by others if the staff squeal for them.

Certain folks just seem to be more overtly effusive than the norm. The fact that it happens more often at guard shows and with guard staff is likely just a coincidence.

When I saw the word effusive, I started shouting and jumping up and down ... ... what does it mean?

:unsure:

I think a lot of you guys are digging too far into this. If you go to a winter guard show, it is common for the crowd to clap and cheer several times during a show whether it be a toss or a drill move that is particularly interesting. Since this issue is mostly with guard staff I believe it is just habit to do it from being a winter instructor. That doesn't make it any less annoying but I really don't think it is a cry for personal attention.

Problem is that this isn't a winter guard show and the fabric and fringe is not the only part the audience wants to enjoy. The narcissism and "look at what I taught them to do" emphasis is a sickness.

• Like 1