Brief Bridgeport review

First off, I want to apologize to the Saints Brigade and Fusion Corps. While trying to find a parking spot and then seeing everyone I know, I didn't get into the stadium until after Fusion was done. As a person who has marched in several parades this year with the Saints Brigade, I do know that they have an exceptional drumline and the hornline is good as well. I'm trying to being as constructive as possible, a few negative comments along with the positive. Some thoughts were left on the cutting room floor.

I was sitting on the 33 yard line, Side 2, half way up. I brought my non-DC girlfriend to experience what drum corps is like and hear her opinion.

Cadets 2

I thought the Cadets stepped up their game from 2 weeks ago. Their visual package is coming along pretty well, but their feet are all over the place. Some members have just perfect feet timing and that Cadets technique down pact, yet a good amount of others have feet phasing majorly. Even as a non-drummer person, I can tell that their drumline is the cream of the show. Their hornline again had a more mature sound and I remember closing my eyes at one point and I could easily tell that this was a "Cadet" corps, which I think has a lot to say about their instruction and trying to stay true to the Cadet way. Their visual demands are very high and they ran out of gas at the end with their stronger players sticking out trying to save the show. It was a good effort, but this young corps just needs to work on their stamina. The show is not finished as everyone has said, although I heard it wasn't much of their own fault as why the entire show just ends on a really weird chord. The guard is coming along, this time with what looked like a full uniform and more work. They do compliment the corps well, and although they look young, I did see a good showing from them. Personally, I thought that they would be a little closer to the Cabs before the penalty.

Cabelleros

Cabs tonight seemed flat from where I was sitting. Their visual demand as I said in the WW review seems to be taking a toll on their members and also ran out of gas towards the end. They did have what seemed to be a few tears in the ensemble. Their guard again was great, just as it was 2 weeks ago, but again, seemed a little flat. Whereas last week I couldn't help but watch them, this week they didn't seem to demand my attention. This isn't to diminish their talents, because I can tell that they will definitely be a major contender for high guard, I just think they too had a flat show. The hornline had better feet than the Cadets 2, but I thought that the Cadets 2's forms were a little more clearer. One thing that I think they need to improve on, is turning around together. Many people will end their turn early or late and that was just a very dirty and distracting thing for the audience member. All that is, is just really breaking down every single turn with the feetwork to go along. That will really give that "WOW" factor when they turn and have their impact moments. Without the penalty, I thought their score would either remain almost the same or a little above where they were 2 weeks ago. Also, as much as I said last week that I'd like to see them play music that they haven't played recently, I do miss the rumps!!!

Hurricanes

I do hate to say it, but this is a down year for them in regards to the number of members. They had 24 Brass, 12 Guard, 7 Snare, 4 Quads, and 5 Basses. The show looks like it was written for about 36 brass, so their were many holes and forms were not readable. The members are very young and are definitely pouring everything they have into this show. I think they need to re-write the drill for exactly what they have so forms become more readable. The days of adding 5-6 players through the season are long gone and they should work with what they have. Because of the numbers, the drumline clearly overpowered the hornline. The drumline is the shining star of the corps, but when you have 3 horn players for every snare drummer, I think it's time to really work on the balance. Their were many times during a hit of each section that I could barely hear the hornline over the drumline. What the hornline was playing volume wise was pretty much on par what you'd get for a group that size, so I'm not trying to take anything away from them, but the drumline needs to be softened greatly. They seem to be a young corps and I think both the music and visual book is just too demanding for them. I was impressed greatly at the dedication and drive I saw in the members trying to do their best in front of the hometown crowd, but I think by watering it down, they can achieve greatness without being too overworked. The guard show didn't seem complete, and with the size of the corps, is the perfect amount for the corps, though it saddens me to say that I don't think they will be a contender this year. I hope things bounce back really fast for this corps. The performers they have now seem to be a very dedicated group of people, and I hope that the nucleus of the corps can grow from them.

Buccaneers

I thought that the Buccaneers came out with a lot of energy, even from what I was told was not a great rehearsal day for them. With all the props out on the field and setting everything up, it does take awhile, so even as a performer there, I was always worried about losing a little energy waiting, but they didn't disappoint tonight. Although I wouldn't call their WW performance flat, they seem to have a better grip on the show and performed up to the level we expect from them. The drumline is the driving force behind much of the program and they have an experience line capable of doing such that. The hornline again is still top-heavy, although this week I didn't hear close to as many baritone stick-outs as 2 weeks ago. Many kudos goes to the mellophone line. I love the rips that they have in the first song during the hits, and of course not enough can be said from their performance during Bacchanal. The guard came out with a much more fired up performance and at times demanded my attention. With this being my 2nd viewing of the corps, I had a better idea of what to look for, and the dance block the horn line has (minus the tubas) is really great! One of my favorite parts of the show visually speaking. The slow motion running by some of the hornline is really effective and doesn't cross into the cheesy range of a performance. It was an excellent performance and they were the clear winners. I do think a lot is being asked from the members both visually and musically speaking, and their is definitely a lot of work to be done to clean this up. If the right corps comes along, they may have a chance at beating them, but I know a lot of work will be put in on their off weekends, so good luck to them! IMO, I think the spread from them to the 2nd place corps would have a little bigger actually. Should have been about 4 - 5.5 points. On a personal note, since I'm sure he will read this...I don't know how this worked out, but sitting where I was, Aaron Harvey ended his show with his bell pointing directly at me and my friend Brian, and we both couldn't stop laughing at just the sound that he was putting out. Aaron, I think I'm a little bit deaf because of this. I will remember to sit on the other side of the field from now on.

Random Thoughts

First, I found it odd that the Cadets didn't stick around for retreat. I'm sure they had some other engagement to get to since I've never heard of a corps leaving before retreat, but nothing was said and no one around me knew why. Second, the stands were packed with people. When the ticket price was changed about 2 years ago to $5, there still wasn't a big crowd, but it did grow bigger for last year, and I believe the stands were practically filled with people. Due to the size of the stadium, Barnum made a great call in having it be $5 a person and I'm sure they had to have made a nice chunk of change. I know I'm probably one of the few people who will ever say this, but even though it isn't in a great neighborhood, I do think bringing Finals back there could be a real money maker for DCA. I'm sure a logistically in some cases it will be a nightmare, especially parking, but it's a nice stadium, probably won't have a high fee to use and isn't located far from a lot of places. I think the audience awarding the best drum major, while neat, I would have rather seen it go for the show they enjoyed more. I don't think many audience members look at the drum major during shows these days.

From a non-drum corps audience member:

I figured I'd add some comments from what my girlfriend said. She has never been to a show before and I asked her what she thought of some groups.

Overall, she really enjoyed all the corps. She said that the Bucs were without a doubt the winners of the show. I asked her that if the Bucs win with 80 points, what does she think the next closest group should get and she responded with a 50. Although I don't agree with that spread, she said the Bucs just took the field and owned it from the moment the walked on, and just had an aura of greatness around each of them. With them, you can see each picture and right angle in the form, whereas others, it may be a line or an arc, but you can't tell. She thought the 2nd group was the Cabs and enjoyed their show. Feet wise, they were good, but not as good with the forms. She wasn't sure what the really long fabric was all about with the guard, and I explained it was probably a reference to painting and unraveling. Up next she thought the Cadets 2 and didn't have good feet at all. She enjoyed them musically. She also got a real kick out of Cabs Alumni because I made sure that as it was her first show, that she just had to see them. We both loved the corps and thank them for still being around. As much as I love modern day drum corps, seeing the glimpse into the past of the Hawthorne Cabelleros is always a treat.

I hope you all enjoyed the review. I'm not sure if this will satisfy everyones hunger to read these, but it is really fun to write them up. So much for being brief...

Edited by Kyle B
  • Like 3

Nice review!.....Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts...:thumbup:/>

Wonderful, Kyle... hopefully we'll see more reviews from you this summer!!!

Wonderful, Kyle... hopefully we'll see more reviews from you this summer!!!

Thanks Fran! As of now, I'll be going to Clifton and Reading. Debating on going to Scranton.

Edited by Kyle B

Nice review Kyle, thank you.

My wife and I were fortunate to be there and what a treat it was. You are correct about that section of Bridgeport, we had a small incident happen on our way back to Rt. 25 North, a little scary, but defused quickly. As I said in a different topic post, THANK YOU BRIDGEPORT & THE BARNUM FESTIVAL.

I really like the way you respect all the competing corps and participants with your review, and since this is probably the only chance we will get to see a show this summer, we look forward to future posts from you. Thank you for mentioning the Saints Brigade, these folks are what drum corps is all about, if anyone there was able to hear the talk from one of their founders, you know what I mean.

Finally (sorry for the long winded postsad.gif), your girlfriend was spot on with her observance, BUCS OWNED THE NIGHT. I never marched DCA, but I have been a Cabelleros fan for 40 years, and their Saturday evening show made me happy...happy, however, there was no mistaking who was the boss of the Bridgeport show.

• Like 3

She also got a real kick out of Cabs Alumni because I made sure that as it was her first show, that she just had to see them. We both loved the corps and thank them for still being around. As much as I love modern day drum corps, seeing the glimpse into the past of the Hawthorne Cabelleros is always a treat.

I hope you all enjoyed the review. I'm not sure if this will satisfy everyones hunger to read these, but it is really fun to write them up. So much for being brief...

Thanks for the mention, Kyle! Glad you liked our show. We're there to have fun, entertain, and help folks recall the past for a few moments. We always appreciate reviewer's feedback. thumbup.gif/>thumbup.gif/>thumbup.gif/>