Archer Epler Musketeers

Ray, I was grilling Sunday and had the '83 DCA album on blaring on the patio as I was getting the Bockwurst and Knackwurst ready, and the show wasn't as bad as yah describe it, art least from the music end. I wasn't panicing and trying to hit the stop button or anything. :satisfied: Some very listenable moments, actually.

Ray, I was grilling Sunday and had the '83 DCA album on blaring on the patio as I was getting the Bockwurst and Knackwurst ready, and the show wasn't as bad as yah describe it, art least from the music end. I wasn't panicing and trying to hit the stop button or anything. :satisfied:/> Some very listenable moments, actually.

Great bunch of guys - good days. In some cases the glaring mistake was trying to get 60 year old guys playing Earth Wind & Fire and the like.

Better programming would have made a better experience for the group (I did the programming - my bad).

Don't know if we would have finished higher or continued to progress, but the corps deserved better.

As instructors/arrangers/coordinators it's incredibly important to remember whom we are working for. Too often we program for our tastes, or worse, for our egos. or simply out of ignorance about our audience or our performers.

I learned a lot with Archie, but wish they hadn't had to pay for my education.

On the other hand, we remain friends and I delight in every chance encounter with a current or former Musketeer.

I had one of those odd Drum Corps moments last night at Crossmen's rehearsal in South Lake Texas. A middle aged guy approached me and said "Who's your child in the corps?" I said "Nancy the synth player" and he said "You're Ray Fallon without a beard, aren't you?" "You taught me in the Bengal Lancers (1982 - from Trumbull CT - I don't even list it on my profile).

Stay in this activity long enough, you have a lot of serendipitous encounters.

Drum Corps been very very good to me...

Great bunch of guys - good days. In some cases the glaring mistake was trying to get 60 year old guys playing Earth Wind & Fire and the like.

Better programming would have made a better experience for the group (I did the programming - my bad).

Don't know if we would have finished higher or continued to progress, but the corps deserved better.

As instructors/arrangers/coordinators it's incredibly important to remember whom we are working for. Too often we program for our tastes, or worse, for our egos. or simply out of ignorance about our audience or our performers.

I learned a lot with Archie, but wish they hadn't had to pay for my education.

On the other hand, we remain friends and I delight in every chance encounter with a current or former Musketeer.

I had one of those odd Drum Corps moments last night at Crossmen's rehearsal in South Lake Texas. A middle aged guy approached me and said "Who's your child in the corps?" I said "Nancy the synth player" and he said "You're Ray Fallon without a beard, aren't you?" "You taught me in the Bengal Lancers (1982 - from Trumbull CT - I don't even list it on my profile).

Stay in this activity long enough, you have a lot of serendipitous encounters.

Drum Corps been very very good to me...

Gettin' a little teary-eyed here Ray ... that was some staff the Bengal Lancers had ... was Oddo and Kenton involved when you were there? ... hmmmm ... Hy at one point also? ...

:-)

Gettin' a little teary-eyed here Ray ... that was some staff the Bengal Lancers had ... was Oddo and Kenton involved when you were there? ... hmmmm ... Hy at one point also? ...

:-)

Yeah as you can imagine I was in clean-up after the big guys were gone.

I've known Johnny Oddo since I was (I don't know) 12, 13? Great guy - world class.

Kenton's younger brother was there before heading to Garfield.

Vizzo boys were there, as was Jeff Gill, who went on to do some impressive things.

Had a lot of fun there, but it was toward the end of their impressive run. I may have forgotten to list them on my DCP profile, along with Crossmen, where I spent one season having been brought in during the Spring.

Funny to have been so many places I miss a couple of corps like that on the old profile...

Guess I must have gotten fired by an awful lot of corps in my day.