Over-the-Top DCI YOUTUBE Copyright Slap-Down

I suppose it runs deeper and longer than the video issue. Every brush with DCI in recent years opens old scabs. A sad point is our kids cannot share their activity experience on YOUTUBE like, say, a gymnast, football player... "Hey, look at me in 2007 marc... hey... it's gone?"

It's silly and stupid. A video of the whole show? No. I get it (I have been the DCI-Videographer pass-holding guy at shows in the past for Capital Regiment -- I know those rules).

But a 1-minute clip zoomed on one kid so grandma and grandpa can see and cherish?

They also removed my clip of Madison in 2007 playing "Walk Alone" in concert.

• Like 5

Wow. A contact (used to work at DCI when they were in Lombard) just emailed me saying to set my YOUTUBE settings to "UNLISTED" -- also not to tag them -- and they should go unnoticed. Will do. :)

• Like 2

It's silly and stupid. A video of the whole show? No. I get it (I have been the DCI-Videographer pass-holding guy at shows in the past for Capital Regiment -- I know those rules).

But a 1-minute clip zoomed on one kid so grandma and grandpa can see and cherish?

They also removed my clip of Madison in 2007 playing "Walk Alone" in concert.

Do you know exactly what is in the contracts the corps have to get to be allowed to play/record copyrighted works? If the copyright owner gets <ryhmes with hissy> they can raise Hades and if YouTube ain't in the contract guess who in in the right.

I'm wondering if DCI noticed and served notice or the copyright owner noticed and raised Hell with DCI.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 3

What's weird is there are tons of "Best of DCI 2011," etc. compilations on there, with little snippets of a bunch of shows, so I wonder why you got in the crosshairs, unless they are now going after all those too. In the past, it seemed the little snippets of shows weren't a big deal, though the argument against whole shows was understandable.

Unfortunately I think the net result will make an already niche activity even more niche. The tickets to attend the events are quite expensive and someone who is simply curious about what all this stuff is about is not going to pay for a Fan Network subscription. The more avenues you cut off where people might stumble across something that grabs their interest, the less people you end up attracting to your product.

• Like 5

Do you know exactly what is in the contracts the corps have to get to be allowed to play/record copyrighted works?

I'm very familiar. I've had the experience of helping nag corps to turn that stuff in back with DCM.