Over-the-Top DCI YOUTUBE Copyright Slap-Down

Do you know exactly what is in the contracts the corps have to get to be allowed to play/record copyrighted works? If the copyright owner gets <ryhmes with hissy> they can raise Hades and if YouTube ain't in the contract guess who in in the right.

I'm wondering if DCI noticed and served notice or the copyright owner noticed and raised Hell with DCI.

So many amateur lawyers on here when this issue comes up. I’m not a lawyer but I asked an Entertainment Attorney about this several years ago and he said DCI has NO responsibility for anything other than the standard disclaimer on tickets that the show should not be filmed, rebroadcast, blah, blah After that, the person who posts on YouTube is the criminal.

• Like 3

I'm very familiar. I've had the experience of helping nag corps to turn that stuff in back with DCM.

Have no idea so I'm asking. Did those contracts specify anything about content being shown on the Internet?

DCI trying to base their business model off of protecting and selling CDs and DVDs (and streaming videos) is like the record companies trying to base their business model off of selling records. It's been 10 years since that model failed.

Those who are managing DCI (as well as the drum corps themselves) have a fatal lack of management / marketing knowledge, and it is KILLING the sport.

Drum Corps should be DRAWING PEOPLE IN to the sport by sharing as much as they can via social media, youtube, etc...instead they are SHUTTING PEOPLE OUT by making it an exclusive "niche" club that you can only attend if you pay. I know many people (on other threads) have talked about the sport dying and the crowds dwindling because of all kinds of factors, but THIS IS THE #1 FACTOR WHY DCI IS SLOWING DYING.

Ask yourself: how do all of the famous bands make money these days? After all...the record companies already went through Napster and had their business model destroyed. They had to rebuild. So they figured out how to survive. The Answer? Promote through social media, and then fill seats at local events. Send band on 150 city road tour and make their money. You can't bootleg being at a live performance and being there personally.

So sad.

• Like 9

So many amateur lawyers on here when this issue comes up. I’m not a lawyer but I asked an Entertainment Attorney about this several years ago and he said DCI has NO responsibility for anything other than the standard disclaimer on tickets that the show should not be filmed, rebroadcast, blah, blah After that, the person who posts on YouTube is the criminal.

Thanks for the info, and all I'm doing is passing info that I learned when asking what DCA requires from the Mini corps when they perform/are recorded. Most of the info came from someone who does this for a Mini. Also learned from studying the copyright problem threads on DCP.

All I add is what I've learned is there are many types of rights and coyright owners can pick and choice what they allow. For example how many DVDs have dead air because a ceratin right was not granted. And if a certain type of right is not mentioned... ohh say... free Internet usage.... then it is not granted.

DCI trying to base their business model off of protecting and selling CDs and DVDs (and streaming videos) is like the record companies trying to base their business model off of selling records. It's been 10 years since that model failed.

Those who are managing DCI (as well as the drum corps themselves) have a fatal lack of management / marketing knowledge, and it is KILLING the sport.

Drum Corps should be DRAWING PEOPLE IN to the sport by sharing as much as they can via social media, youtube, etc...instead they are SHUTTING PEOPLE OUT by making it an exclusive "niche" club that you can only attend if you pay. I know many people (on other threads) have talked about the sport dying and the crowds dwindling because of all kinds of factors, but THIS IS THE #1 FACTOR WHY DCI IS SLOWING DYING.

Ask yourself: how do all of the famous bands make money these days? After all...the record companies already went through Napster and had their business model destroyed. They had to rebuild. So they figured out how to survive. The Answer? Promote through social media, and then fill seats at local events. Send band on 150 city road tour and make their money. You can't bootleg being at a live performance and being there personally.

So sad.

Just want to point out. The corps (NOT DCI) are responsible for getting the copyrights so their shows can be recorded and sold by DCI. So to do what you want DCI would also require the corps to obtain Internet rights.

1) Wonder how enforcible that is (between DCI and the corps). If a corps doesn't get the needed rights today there is dead air and that is it. If a corps doesn't get Internet rights then what?

2) Wonder how much harder that would make it for the corps to obtain those rights.

PS - Is it that much harder to go to the corps sites for vids? Other than friggin' google forcing you to YT when you are looking for anything... (hate that crap).

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

Ask yourself: how do all of the famous bands make money these days? After all...the record companies already went through Napster and had their business model destroyed. They had to rebuild. So they figured out how to survive. The Answer? Promote through social media,

Those bands, in almost every case, are also the copyright holders of their own material. I'd agree that DCI is missing the boat when it comes to allowing social media to be a driving engine for their product, but it's a situation of needing to make sure that every i and t is dotted and crossed before they can afford to be benignly negligent when it comes to unauthorized postings of shows that they had to get rights clearance for in the first place. When they can't even guarantee mechanical rights for material that IS legally presented live, we should take that as a clue as to how many hurdles have to be cleared.

Personally, I'd recommend that DCI turn the rights clearance issue and financial element of the process back to the individual corps. Right now, you have a few corps whose rights expenses are disproportionately high (either because they chose an expensive piece or because they're using 7 pieces of music that need to be cleared). Let the corps pay for that aspect of their program and negotiate their own deals to include social media clearance.

• Like 2

So sad.

I know this is not related to the YouTube video issue...but I heard that BAC sold general admission tickets on Groupon to bring in over 400 new fans that otherwise would not have attended to a record crowd in New Haven...This is the type of thinking and outside the box marketing that DCI should be exploring rather than maintaining their status quo of trying to CONTROL the digital media which is obviously not doing anything to "promote" the activity.

For myself personally...I watch all kinds of free stuff drum corps related on YouTube.....BUT...I also pay go to 3 or 4 shows every season...Buy DVDs...Subscribe to the FanNetwork...The fact that I enjoy watching free stuff on YouTube hasn't changed any of my purchasing behavior...DCI just doesn't get it.

• Like 7

Google/YouTube does provide content owners a way to upload their audio and video, not for public use, but to allow Google to run automated scans on existing content and take it down/warn the original uploader automatically. It's very possible your video was caught because of an audio match to something DCI uploaded. In other words, it's possible no human beings were directly involved in the decision to take down your video and put you on notice.

In the past this fully automated takedown procedure has resulted in such hilarious antics as people uploading a funny video of themselves to YouTube, which then gets played (without permission!) by a national TV show like the Tonight Show or the Late Show, then the national TV network uploading the broadcast show to YouTube's content filter and the original poster of the fully original video getting their original content taken down because it "violated the copyright" of the Tonight Show or whatever show had aired their video (without permission, remember!).

Edited by skywhopper
  • Like 1

Here's Google's own page on the YouTube ContentID program.

What is Content ID?

YouTube's state-of-the-art technologies let rights owners:

* Identify user-uploaded videos comprised entirely OR partially of their content, and

* Choose, in advance, what they want to happen when those videos are found. Make money from them. Get stats on them. Or block them from YouTube altogether.