Over-the-Top DCI YOUTUBE Copyright Slap-Down

Man, this thread is still going?

Every year about this time....death, taxes, people with a sense of entitlement #####ing about YT vids getting pulled and blaming DCI (when it's not really their fault)

• Like 5

That seems a bit silly to me. It seems like the best solution to help composers feel more comfortable about licensing their work is to do good arrangements that respect the source material ... not tell them that we may ruin your art, but don't worry we will do everything we can to make sure no one sees how we ruined it. DCI cannot be successful if it has to try to avoid being seen in order to get the licenses it needs.

Well the world is all about good intentions for the most part, right? I doubt many composers set out to arrange someone else's music with the intent to disrespect source material or ruin music. I'm merely pointing out that there are a lot more factors at play in this issue rather than, "I want to see drum corps videos without paying a dime and it sucks DCI, or corps, or copyright holders are being so vigilant protecting their intellectual property."

I completely agree. Who is harmed when a video of a 1982 prelim performance of a corps that folded in 1983, performing music that is public domain, with music and video that is as much as 6 count out of sync shows up on youtube? I can see why there might some who are embarrassed by the technical problems syncing sound and video. But wasn't that some Canadians problem .....eh?

I suppose that in theory you are right. But, again, there are several issues when discussion why DCI wants to take down video that is not permitted to be on youtube. And at the end of the day, what we think is best for the activity, or what we think should/should not be permitted to be illegally uploaded and shared with the general public (or at the very least uploading the video blatantly goes against well-known DCI policy). What matters is DCI is able to exercise their control of content, and it's their call. Like I said, I honestly love watching youtube video of drum corps, but respect DCI's wishes.

Well the world is all about good intentions for the most part, right? I doubt many composers set out to arrange someone else's music with the intent to disrespect source material or ruin music. I'm merely pointing out that there are a lot more factors at play in this issue rather than, "I want to see drum corps videos without paying a dime and it sucks DCI, or corps, or copyright holders are being so vigilant protecting their intellectual property."

For the record, I am a fan network subscriber and don't typically watch a lot of drum corps material on youtube. I also don't record the one live show I get to go to every year because it is against policy ... and against the law. I generally try to obey the law, including copyright law. It is against the law to post drum corps videos on the internet without a license. My point is not to complain about not getting to see youtube videos. I just think it is a waste of resources and counterproductive to be spending so much energy trying to keep people from sharing the drum corps experience without the outside world. I'm sure there are good reasons, and DCI may even have contractual obligations here. I just don't think it makes a lot of sense.

• Like 1

For the record, I am a fan network subscriber and don't typically watch a lot of drum corps material on youtube. I also don't record the one live show I get to go to every year because it is against policy ... and against the law. I generally try to obey the law, including copyright law. It is against the law to post drum corps videos on the internet without a license. My point is not to complain about not getting to see youtube videos. I just think it is a waste of resources and counterproductive to be spending so much energy trying to keep people from sharing the drum corps experience without the outside world. I'm sure there are good reasons, and DCI may even have contractual obligations here. I just don't think it makes a lot of sense.

The laws were made with the mentality that people would listen to the arrangement/cover/remix over the original, and that would cause fewer people to buy the original. This is actually the opposite of what happens in reality (which is what things like YouTube, Pandora and Spotify are showing); the more people are exposed to the music, the more likely they are to spend money on it. But there's too big of a lobby (record and movie companies) that are convinced that making themselves the exclusive source of the material will result in the highest profit. This needs to stop.

...there's too big of a lobby (record and movie companies) that are convinced that making themselves the exclusive source of the material will result in the highest profit. This needs to stop.

How might it be stopped? (I'm serious.) I suspect the large studios have a far larger legal team than DCI, as well as an infinitely larger pull with Congress.

How might it be stopped? (I'm serious.) I suspect the large studios have a far larger legal team than DCI, as well as an infinitely larger pull with Congress.

Honestly, I'm not sure. I think there was already something before Congress that would make things like singing your favorite song and putting it on YouTube legal, but I think it failed.

Honestly, I'm not sure. I think there was already something before Congress that would make things like singing your favorite song and putting it on YouTube legal, but I think it failed.

That's because the karaoke industry has no political pull. :tongue:

I honestly believe that businesses just need to adapt with the times. They're holding on to the way things used to be, when really they could make more money if they figure out how to adapt themselves to match the market now. Those who would do that, I believe, would be most successful.