Columbians finish their first season!

I am so proud of all the members, staff and parents of the Columbians. As of this evening we finish our first compition season in Boise id. The temp was well over 100 but the members played their hearts out.

Now we start for next year

• Like 5

Congrats to them!

(Were you at the show? If so, a report would be most welcome.)

I was very excited and humbled watching the Columbians first season out! It reminded me of my first season at Oregon Crusaders in 2003. Small, but entertaining group full of energy! Really looking forward to seeing their growth over the years!

Welcome back Columbians. I've got a Columbians button from 1973. One of my favorite corps from that era. Nice to see you on the field again.

Congratulations, and best wishes as you build next year on your inaugural season!

With the Columbians and Thunder in OC, and Cascades and Crusaders in WC, it's simply fantastic to see the surge of drum corps from the NW again! Congratulations on your season, and best of luck in the future.

• Like 1

I know that this sounds stupid, but where are they from? I've never heard of them before.

I know that this sounds stupid, but where are they from? I've never heard of them before.

The Columbians – Pasco, Washington

The Columbians, from Pasco, Wash., held their first rehearsal in November. According to Director Matthew Newbury, the corps is named after the Tri-City Columbians Drum and Bugle Corps, a group founded in the 1930s that ceased to exist 38 years ago in 1975.

Newbury says that over the past 10 years, high school marching band programs in the Tri-City area have expanded, leading to growth of parent volunteer groups and committees which have come together to create support to get the Columbians started.

“The thing that you live and die for in drum corps is membership, and it’s been a great thing that we’ve had such a strong turnout, Newbury said. “So far this year we’ve had about 110 kids show up at one time or another to experience drum corps.” In order to recruit members, Newbury contacted local band directors and asked them to encourage students to join. The corps’ 2013 membership will be made up of approximately 65 performers, both local and nonlocal, who come from 12 different schools.

The corps plans to participate in DCI Tour events this summer in Portland, Seattle, its hometown Tri-City area, and near Boise. Like Coastal Surge, the Columbians will follow a modest tour in their first year to keep costs low. According to Newbury, the corps members’ tour fees for the year (just under $500) will underwrite the corps’ entire 2013 tour.

“One of my goals initially as we brought the corps back together is to figure out a way where disadvantaged youth could gain access to drum and bugle corps, so we’ve created a very cost-effective model this first year,” Newbury said.

In addition to managing the corps, Newbury, a former staff member for the Blue Knights, is volunteering his services as a visual designer and music arranger for the 2013 season.

The Columbians’ production, "A River Runs Through It," includes Igor Stravinsky’s “Firebird,” Eric Whitacre’s “October,” and a Celtic folk tune known as “Dulaman,” along with original themes composed by Newbury.

“We’re in an area here where we have the convergence of three major rivers [snake, Yakima, Columbia],” Newbury said. “There’s a lot of history of Lewis and Clark and the frontier element, and we’ll tie into that a little in our show.”

Read more: http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=6ef731c7-8288-4790-b610-53fabd8268fb#ixzz2YOqCQBtW.

Congratulations.

I saw the Columbians' show in Seattle. It was was very respectable--certainly above what I would have expected for as first-year corps.

I remember and loved the Columbians from the early 70s. I am glad that the Columbians' tradition continues.

I think it has been about 30 years since there were four active drum corps in the Northwest!