I might just become a drum corps fan again! almost...

It is interesting you put it this way about seeing it out of uniform.

On the vid link thread I posted that the practice vids were the most interesting to me. Didn't watch the entire vids but hit a couple for a few seconds. What hit me in the practice vids was if looked like the late 70s again, just better quality film.

Just don't look for the marching tymps and (LOL) bells....

Your "issues" might be better dealt with other than on a impersonal computer thread. I hope you can work them out.

Dumb.

• Like 5

I'm just surprised that if you like BD 2013 so much why you didn't like previous BD performances since they are all in the same vain. Did you stop becoming a fan because prrformances weren't like BD 2013? Are you the opposite if a Dino and some new age progressive that stopped enjoying dum corps because it wasn't progressive enough? LOL!

I disagree that previous performances are done "in the same vain".

If you really watch each performance from say 2007 to present, I dont see a lot of similarity other than the fact that each time they are going in radically different directions from everyone else. HOW they are doing that changes each year. Thats what I love about them! Its not always my "favorite", but man what they do is great fun to watch.

Sorry for the sidebar!

• Like 3

I'm late to the show - DCI fixed my issue with Fan Network so I caught up on the Walnut show first.

I love the BD entry onto the field with the poles. Very effective!

They had a hole which stuck out because it was the lone one that didn't rotate in the beginning. That being said, I think this is the hardest BD show they have "ever" attempted. I didn't know where to focus - there was so much going on at the same time.

The demands on the individual performer are extreme this year and based on Walnut, they have a lot of cleaning to do.

The one criticism I have is that I wish the electronic samples were toned down. 75% of them weren't required.

Edit: I LOVE the musical passage at the end from the '95 show. Cool.

Edited by LincolnV
  • Like 2

The one criticism I have is that I wish the electronic samples were toned down. 75% of them weren't required.

Yeah, this is the primary negative of the show to me. Just the electronics in general. They have a very smooth, reverb-y atmosphere going on with the sound from the amps, but it doesn't match up to the battery and brass at all. The transitions from electronic sound to acoustic were a little smoother in the Walnut video versus the Stanford one. Hard to know if that was actual improvement or just a different mike setup, though.

I'm late to the show - DCI fixed my issue with Fan Network so I caught up on the Walnut show first.

I love the BD entry onto the field with the poles. Very effective!

They had a hole which stuck out because it was the lone one that didn't rotate in the beginning. That being said, I think this is the hardest BD show they have "ever" attempted. I didn't know where to focus - there was so much going on at the same time.

The demands on the individual performer are extreme this year and based on Walnut, they have a lot of cleaning to do.

Edit: I LOVE the musical passage at the end from the '95 show. Cool.

I just found out that the poles represent trees. Really. Rite of Spring was written to represent coming out of the forest.

Who knew?

(And I love the effect of being measured against vertical lines in the different dimension.)

• Like 1

I just found out that the poles represent trees. Really. Rite of Spring was written to represent coming out of the forest.

Who knew?

(And I love the effect of being measured against vertical lines in the different dimension.)

If you told me in December that BD was using 100 poles on the field I would have been sceptical - but after seeing how they use them, I think they are incredibly well integrated.

I agree. The difficulty level is likely why they are visually filthy (** filthy by Blue Devils standards, still pretty good for the rest of us mere mortals :tongue: ) right now. I'm extremely interested to see if Crown has the juice to keep winning down the stretch, or if Blue Devils will clean it up and get back on top. I don't care one way or the other (though I think I like BD's show better than Crowns, but I really like both shows), but I'm really intrigued to see how all of this plays out this season

First off I just have to say that if you watch Stanford and then Walnut there is a LOT of changes they have made. More than any other year beginning to end and this was just in a week they did it. and still broke into 80's and staying within a point of so of Crown? Pretty awesome feat I'd say for sure!!!

I really do think they are trying to answer to a lot of the gripes being made which is great.

Also the throwback from the 95 show? I think it's more of a nod to BDB which is also playing that number as a closer.

All I can say is...Is the world ready for what BDB is going to unleash. You just watch! bluedevil.gif