The Color Guard Thread

Best Color Guard of 2013  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win best color guard this year?

• Blue Devils
    • Carolina Crown
    • Phantom Regiment
    • Cadets
    • Bluecoats
    • Blue Knights
    • Santa Clara Vanguard
    • Boston Crusaders
    • Cavaliers
    • Magic of Orlando
    • Madison Scouts
    • Crossmen
    • Pacific Crest
    • Troopers
    • Spirit of Atlanta
    • The Academy
    • Blue Stars
    • Seattle Cascades
    • Colts
    • Jersey Surf
    • Mandarins
    • Oregon Crusaders
    • Pioneer

I'm sorry, but throwing flags, hoops, etc. around on the field without catching anything does not equal talent or "art". It's sloppy, lazy and pathetic.

Lazy and Pathetic?? Seriously?? I hardly think so. The Blue Devils are interpreting the music in ways that no one else does (and in ways that the Blue Devils have done for YEARS). This is not winter guard international - where "regulation" equipment is restricted to flags, rifles, and sabres. If it creates visual effect and a team can find a unique way to incorporate it into their program then go for it. I give kudos to the Blue Devils for not limiting themselves to the standard 3 pieces of equipment as dictated by the indoor color guard association. This is outdoors - this is about doing what you can to bring the music to life and make it a full scale production.

This being said, I changed my vote in this poll from Carolina Crown to Blue Devils. GO BD!!!! BRING HOME #6 in a row!

Edited by Will
  • Like 6

Lazy and Pathetic?? Seriously?? I hardly think so. The Blue Devils are interpreting the music in ways that no one else does (and in ways that the Blue Devils have done for YEARS). This is not winter guard international - where "regulation" equipment is restricted to flags, rifles, and sabres. If it creates visual effect and a team can find a unique way to incorporate it into their program then go for it. I give kudos to the Blue Devils for not limiting themselves to the standard 3 pieces of equipment as dictated by the indoor color guard association. This is outdoors - this is about doing what you can to bring the music to life and make it a full scale production.

This being said, I changed my vote in this poll from Carolina Crown to Blue Devils. GO BD!!!! BRING HOME #6 in a row!

Yes seriously. My 5yr old can throw a flag on the ground. Impress me - do something better.

• Like 1

Yes seriously. My 5yr old can throw a flag on the ground. Impress me - do something better.

Have your own opinion, but Blue Devils gets those scores from upstairs... also, it's not about what you do, but how you do it. That's what makes it this activity so diverse and fun to watch.

• Like 3

When does anyone throw a flag on the ground? I must be missing something.

I'm sorry, but throwing flags, hoops, etc. around on the field without catching anything does not equal talent or "art". It's sloppy, lazy and pathetic.

As someone who had a hand in the founding of both DCI and WGI, I am certainly behind you on this one. And no way BD should ever get a perfect CG score the past few years with the number of equiptment bobbles, drops, and missed throws I have seen...all which have had a negative effect on dance flow, timing of movement, and projection of other visual elements.

No matter how many California school jobs, the BD staff networks for certain judges, a missed toss is a missed toss which the judges are not supposed to miss or mess.

• Like 3

As someone who had a hand in the founding of both DCI and WGI, I am certainly behind you on this one. And no way BD should ever get a perfect CG score the past few years with the number of equiptment bobbles, drops, and missed throws I have seen...all which have had a negative effect on dance flow, timing of movement, and projection of other visual elements.

No matter how many California school jobs, the BD staff networks for certain judges, a missed toss is a missed toss which the judges are not supposed to miss or mess.

I definitely agree that BD shouldn't be getting any perfect 20s.

That can of worms was opened in 2002, though, when the Cavs guard got a perfect 20 for a pretty flawed performance of "Frameworks." Beautifully written show, but man were those flags dirty.

• Like 4

I definitely agree that BD shouldn't be getting any perfect 20s.

That can of worms was opened in 2002, though, when the Cavs guard got a perfect 20 for a pretty flawed performance of "Frameworks." Beautifully written show, but man were those flags dirty.

Agreed.

• Like 2

I'll play Devil's advocate and say that i'd bet the pioneers of dci and wgi surely never thought they'd see dance so heavily incorporated in the activity, both in guard and the corps, but now, through years or INNOVATION, the activity has developed and grown into what it is now. Star 97, Cadets 2000, Cavies 03, Phantom 08, I'm relatively young to the activity, but even I can see a different between my first dci show and now. While I do agree, I don't think rifles drops merit a perfect score, perhaps the judges are evaluating the whole design of the productions: staging, costumes, characterization, nuance, color, texture, choreography, technique. Perhaps it wasn't a perfect 20 based off of THAT performance, but the VISION behind it was what was evaluated. I know, I know, even sometimes I don't understand the shows until much later down the road, but the new ideas and perspectives I get from watching the Blue Devils have helped me in my design process when I teach and has really driven my program to success. Work in progress.

That all being said, these color guards are unreal good and are truly inspiring.

• Like 1