Judging Deficiencies

Anyone else fed up with the limitations of the judging system?

I'm talking about the fact that it takes them (DCI) forever to ramp-up to the complete panel, to allow any kind of true & accurate comparison across different shows.

Captions are different, captions are missing. etc, etc, etc.

For Chr*ssakes, it's an 8-week season! You can't pay judges for 2 months, and get the activity's fans some meaningful information?

Really????

It would be like starting the baseball season for 2 months with just one umpire, or football with one ref.

Are you kidding me, DCI?

(End of rant.....discuss.....)

:-)

• Like 4

I don't know, it makes sense in a cost-saving measure. To be blunt, you can't really truly compare scores from different shows/different judges across the country anyway, even with full panels. One could argue that from a fan perspective that makes things more interesting in June/early July, not really knowing where, say, Cavaliers fall in the grand scheme of things, if BD & Crown are truly several points better than Cadets, wondering if PC's score really does holdup as being Top-12ish, etc. Most staffers I know this time of year only care about whether or not judges think their shows work, and only really care about teaching & cleaning the shows: the majority of DCI staffers know scores don't mean a lot unless they're head-to-head, and even then this time of year there are so many factors those don't mean a ton (for example, barely beating a competitor or even losing to a competitor but knowing you don't have the ending on the field yet = generally unconcerned about scores).

A more jaded fan could look at it this way:

if corps aren't going to have a complete show in June, why should DCI pay for a complete panel? :tongue:

• Like 3

What is the cost of staffing judges for an average show? How much does each judge get paid? Does DCI cover expenses?

I believe they get paid like 200-300 per show and i'm giving a low guesstimate.

It is insulting that DCI doesn't judge Drums early in the season. Its ridiculous.

• Like 4

What is the cost of staffing judges for an average show? How much does each judge get paid? Does DCI cover expenses?

The reduced panels where agreed to by a vote of the Executive Directors of the member corps. What people forget is that most shows are now sponsored by indiviudal corps with many in a partnership with a local band booster group or other local civic group. The majority of the Tour Events Partners have stoped running shows because of the risks involved with running a local show.

DCI charges the show sponsor a fee that includes cost of judges, costs of corps and a show coordinator. So with a corps sponsred show DCI has an implied guarantee that they will get paid since they require the majority of the show expenses be paid in advance and DCI has leverage with the corps because have open accounts with the corps.

If it where not for many DCI corps running multiple shows there would be no DCI Tour. So as much as many dislike the present arrangements it is better than having fewer opporunities for the corps to perform.

• Like 2

Ok sorry clarification needed here. Is this thread about judging deficiencies, or judging, deficiencies.

Correct, add the comma.

As for the other comments, I still think that, yes even though we all know that different panels in shows hundreds of miles apart, etc, etc, etc. are factors, some standards could be set.

But what I'm saying is, DCI basically throws up it's hands for half a season and tells us "We're just not paying for a full judging slate, giving YOU the fans, the opportunity to at least "compare" on a standard basis; BUT, we're going to charge a full admission by the way".

I think it's ridiculous, for an 8-week season, to not have a standard by which the fans, who care about the process, can get some meaningful information, flawed as it is.

AJMHO

A more jaded fan could look at it this way:

if corps aren't going to have a complete show in June, why should DCI pay for a complete panel? :tongue:/>/>/>

A really jaded fan would probably look at it this way.. " if Corps arn't going to have a complete shows in June, why should I be paying full ticket prices for incomplete shows ? ". I don't think most of these particular " jaded fans " care a wit what DCI pays its judges.

Edited by BRASSO

Personally.. I don't have a huge problem with it. It is annoying.. but the cost saving is important.

What is more annoying is the judges themselves.. they really need to FITFO, and actually read the sheets and what they are supposed to be judging.

• Like 4