Soul Surfing!

Is entertainment without execution as entertaining? I like the concept Surf has, where they're taking a different route to reach out to fans. I do agree through the execution is more impressive than just a fun show. Even when Bridgemen and VK were doing fun shows, they were executing them well. If Surf could figure that out, I think they'd be in a great position. I watched the Fan Network video, and heard sounds in the horns I haven't heard except on old recordings, lots of stick-outs and raw sounds. Hopefully their season will rapidly improve for them. I want them to do great and get people in the stands early to see the lower corps.

Side-note, I know that they haven't been rehearsing very long, but neither has OC, or Pacific Crest, and it hasn't stopped them from doing well

Edited by fsubone

First off I really do appreciate the effort Jersey Surf has been putting into being fan friendly the past couple of years. They get the toe tapping and they are 100% about the audience. Fun stuff!

I know it is early... and they don't rehearse as much as other World Class corps.. but they have to be better than that out of the gate. There has to be some excellence on the music side of things. It is rough. Horns with really immature uncharacteristic sounds, drums not anywhere near in sync with each other. Ensemble wise, it is a complete mess, I wonder how they even stay together without an ensemble tear.

It is just disappointing, especially with the best vet retention they've had in quite some time, that it seems like they may have taken a step backwards in the performance department. And I am not blaming the kids at all. This is 100% on the staff as far as I am concerned. They are not using proper teaching techniques. They are not giving them the correct information, the basics. It sounds like a free for all on the field right now. And that is not World Class drum corps. And is is really keeping me from enjoying the show at this point.

Surf.. I love ya. But you gotta do better than that.

I will try to make you feel a bit better as to where Surf stands right now (From a performance perspective). I saw Jersey Surf at the Bayonne TOS show on June 22. They are ahead of where they were last season at the same show. Brass wise...much bigger sound with a punch (Confidence?), CG..not sure...marching in better shape and perhaps the drumline is tad behind compared to last year. I think they will be just fine...just going to take some time to get things together (Just like last season).

One thing is for sure..there is no other corps on the field in 2013 that sounds like Surf (Groovy, soulful...)

• Like 1

I'l hold my judgement till later in the season. I"m glad they are attempting a fun show even though I was hoping for something modern. Either way I'm excited to see them progress throughout the season. They will be fine at the end.

So is Surf going to go one or two years with a non-costume like uniform and three or five years with a costume? Moreover, what is Surf's identity? I say this because during the years that Surf had what people would call a non-costume uniform, they were en route to making a move and being taken seriously.

Were The Bridgemen and VK taken seriously as competition while be extremely entertaining? 100% absolutely! However, those were their permanent identities and they weren't flip-flopping between a costume and a uniform. In addition, they weren't putting music excellence on the back burner. It seemed that when Surf was wearing a regular corps uniform, musicality wasn't being sacrificed at the hand of the theatrics.

Edited by shortn'sour
  • Like 1

It seemed that when Surf was wearing a regular corps uniform, musicality wasn't being sacrificed at the hand of the theatrics.

I can assure you that the uniform has zero impact on good fundamental brass playing. I *love* where they are going stylistically. Frankly, they weren't that great when they were doing the conventional show design thing, certainly not as good as you seem to think.

What Surf desperately needs is a new approach to the brass line, because what they have now is not getting it done.

As someone who has followed the surf all winter I as I did last year, I believe they are much farther ahead musically than they were last year. Are they dirty? Absoutely! Can they clean it up and compete with the higher teir corps? Again, absolutely! I love watching their show as these kids are truly kids. Check the average age of all the world class drum corps and see where Surf falls in at, you might be surpised at what you find out. As a member and supporter of the surf family I judge the sucess of their performance by the crowd, not the score.

• Like 3

As someone who has followed the surf all winter I as I did last year, I believe they are much farther ahead musically than they were last year. Are they dirty? Absoutely! Can they clean it up and compete with the higher teir corps? Again, absolutely! I love watching their show as these kids are truly kids. Check the average age of all the world class drum corps and see where Surf falls in at, you might be surpised at what you find out. As a member and supporter of the surf family I judge the sucess of their performance by the crowd, not the score.

I believe this is what Drum Corps is supposed to be.

• Like 3

Is entertainment without execution as entertaining? I like the concept Surf has, where they're taking a different route to reach out to fans. I do agree through the execution is more impressive than just a fun show. Even when Bridgemen and VK were doing fun shows, they were executing them well. If Surf could figure that out, I think they'd be in a great position. I watched the Fan Network video, and heard sounds in the horns I haven't heard except on old recordings, lots of stick-outs and raw sounds. Hopefully their season will rapidly improve for them. I want them to do great and get people in the stands early to see the lower corps.

Side-note, I know that they haven't been rehearsing very long, but neither has OC, or Pacific Crest, and it hasn't stopped them from doing well

Bayonne in the mid 70's-early 80's had ROCK SOLID execution (ok - wet concrete solid brass in 82/3)- they had their priorities straight: Get the execution down, then add the fun stuff. The way the judging was back then (tick system et al) , they had to have solid fundamentals or they would have been squashed like a bug at a Wisconsin retreat.

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
  • Like 2