1992 Santa Clara Vanguard

I'm looking for early video recordings of 1992 SCV - I have a buddy that marched that show and I remember him saying they changed a lot from when they first learned it to what we saw on finals night. Anyone know?? Stories, videos?? I'm geek eager to learn!!!

Thanks!

-Will

I'm looking for early video recordings of 1992 SCV - I have a buddy that marched that show and I remember him saying they changed a lot from when they first learned it to what we saw on finals night. Anyone know?? Stories, videos?? I'm geek eager to learn!!!

Thanks!

-Will

There is a recording (music only) from the early season Pacific Procession on "that" site. It's really interesting to listen to - I wasn't aware how much the show changed through the season.

• Like 1

The show was incredible in the first month that year. Unfortunately the judges KILLED SCV for what they put on the field.

Quite a bit disappeared by the time DCI came along. I had a long visit with Gail Royer the night of the Mankato, MN show (the last time I had the pleasure of talking with him).

He told me the judges were just killing them those early weeks. He also told me he didn't know what he was going to do with his summers when he retired from SCV.

He never got to have a summer without SCV, since he passed away less than a year after our visit.

Hopefully you can find an early season video from '92.

• Like 2

I saw them early in the season in So Cal. I recall the guard doing a uniform change into vintage looking uniforms just before the bottle dance. My memory might be off but it seemed the transition took a long time. I would also love to hear more about that year.

• Like 1

Based on the above mentioned recording, they replaced Sunrise Sunset with Chava Ballet sometime during the season.

The Chava Ballet section was one of the nicest parts of the show.

Edited by LincolnV

The show was incredible in the first month that year. Unfortunately the judges KILLED SCV for what they put on the field.

Almost never have I ever thought that a show was ruined by stupid judges and stupid judges comments, but my god, that's the exception that proves the rule. The ridiculous comments they made to Vanguard's design team that year were completely absurd. They were so far off the application of criteria on the sheets, and by extension, their numbers. I would love to go back in time, be a fly on the wall when judges were given direction that year. I really thought then, and still do now, that there was some really fishy stuff going on.

Almost never have I ever thought that a show was ruined by stupid judges and stupid judges comments, but my god, that's the exception that proves the rule. The ridiculous comments they made to Vanguard's design team that year were completely absurd. They were so far off the application of criteria on the sheets, and by extension, their numbers. I would love to go back in time, be a fly on the wall when judges were given direction that year. I really thought then, and still do now, that there was some really fishy stuff going on.

I'd love to know more about this. What kinds of remarks were the judges making to SCV?

• Like 1

SCV 92 was the show that introduced me to drum corps. I'd love to see how it looked in the beginning