1992 Santa Clara Vanguard

First time seeing the early version of this show vs the finals version...

Really Judges...

Really?!?

That is the direction you had in mind for SCV '92? A TOTAL CASTRATION!.

The early version is head and shoulders beyond the finals version. What a shame. I mean, don't get me wrong, I like both versions. But wow...

• Like 1

I'd love to know more about this. What kinds of remarks were the judges making to SCV?

They did a retro show using Fiddler on the Roof. It was sort of a 'through the years' theme, started 1970's old school, progressed to the 90's in style as the show progressed.

Apparently the judges could not comprehend the 1970's style drill. And what they could not understand, they ripped apart.

I would love to see that show at the beginning of the year. Everything was practically changed. I did see it early season and the guard wore the traditional old school Vanguard costumes and did tons of costume changes. By the end of the year there were no costume changes and the guard was on flag the entire show.

They had tons of different pieces of equipment at the beginning of the year and by the end just spun the same flag.

I think that show was one of the most changed shows from the beginning of the year to the end.

Wow! Such interesting information. Thanks folks! TELL ME MORE!! : )

does anyone have pictures? I may need to hound my buddy Keith for more information on this year and see what he remembers.

• 7 years later...
On 7/20/2020 at 12:15 PM, Continental said:

Also now on YouTube

Wow! This is fantastic. Obviously dirty as all heck with some holes (first show and all) but this would have been fun to see cleaned. I still loved them at Finals as did the crowd, but I can see what people are talking about. They would have needed to tweak the ending here, but most corps have to do that. I kind of wonder if the judges simply had a hard time figuring out where SCV was going with this. Judges sometimes get things wrong, and safe to say they did here. SCV's staff should have held their ground while still attending critique with the judges and telling them "hey, did you see some of those changes we've made?" They should have pulled a Yoda and used the Force to make the judges see their ways. 

Given that SCV ended the season almost four points back of BD, which is where they were in early July, did it benefit them to change the show? 

Surprised the guard just stands along the back sideline for nearly three minutes at the end, obviously not having learned the rest of their routine yet; can't remember seeing a World Class guard do that in recent years even in the first shows -- or am I forgetting some examples?

Here's another early season version, this time with the guard's "costume change":

• Like 1