Dear Crown Brass Staff Peoples:

What do you think?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Sign this petition for the arc!!

• Yea I prefer sitting in the arc
    • Nah, circle it up

When we warmed up before a show, it was to get our tuning just perfect, it was to make sure we were hearing things correctly and that we had not had any deterioration in terms of performance level from earlier in the day. And just because you have been playing all day does not mean that you do not have to re-warm up, get your mind right and then go out there and do it!

Warm up is most certainly for the corps and members, not for the show...

• Like 4

Intriguing...CC was in arc formation during their warmup in Riverside with dozens of fans seated in front of them and it was glorius. Then again, there really wasn't enough room to make a circle as BD had taken up the quad area nestled amongst some buildings a couple hundred yards away. Thinking back on it, the head instructor did make the comment "Last one for CA!" so I think the arc was likely a treat for the CA fan base that had turned out the last couple of weeks.

I think most corps realize that the warm ups are as much for fans as they are for the members, and I challenge you to find a member who doesn't get more hype out of a big crowd of fans responding to their lot show than they do staring at the opposite side of a circle.

The circle is only part of the warmup. They will generally setup in rough approximations of drill sets and do parts of the show facing in a single direction. PLENTY of opportunity to hear the horns "full force".

This is a non-issue.

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 1

Justin: Whether you realize it or not you are one of the elitist self-centered G7 supporters who are really causing the demise of the drum corps activity. How? Here is how: by you wanting Crown to arc up (for free) during their warm-up time for your own selfish pleasure instead sitting in the stands supporting all of the corps which are 'performing' their hearts out while Crown warms-up.

• Like 8

We as fans are invited to witness the warm-ups. We as fans are not inviting the corps to come play for us prior to the shows.

But here's an idea that might make the corps some money. Do the circle because that's what you feel helps the horn line best hear itself. However, consider opening up a hole a few feet wide for fans to enter. Have a tip jar on a small table at the front of the hole. The tip jar would have a sign that states something like the following:

"Feel free to come on in and please leave a donation to encourage us to keep doing this. So the members aren't distracted, please sit down and quietly enjoy what you are about to witness."

Is that doable or is it a dumb idea? (I've had dumb ideas before.)

• Like 2

Justin: Whether you realize it or not you are one of the elitist self-centered G7 supporters who are really causing the demise of the drum corps activity. How? Here is how: by you wanting Crown to arc up (for free) during their warm-up time for your own selfish pleasure instead sitting in the stands supporting all of the corps which are 'performing' their hearts out while Crown warms-up.

I guess there could be an addition made to the sign that states, "This offer is only good for up to ten minutes before the contest starts. At that point, we will request all fans to leave the circle and go into the stadium to watch and support all the corps."

THAT would generate some serious good PR.

We as fans are invited to witness the warm-ups. We as fans are not inviting the corps to come play for us prior to the shows.

But here's an idea that might make the corps some money. Do the circle because that's what you feel helps the horn line best hear itself. However, consider opening up a hole a few feet wide for fans to enter. Have a tip jar on a small table at the front of the hole. The tip jar would have a sign that states something like the following:

"Feel free to come on in and please leave a donation to encourage us to keep doing this. So the members aren't distracted, please sit down and quietly enjoy what you are about to witness."

Is that doable or is it a dumb idea? (I've had dumb ideas before.)

of course you are aware that there are certain corps, such as Crown and Cadets who allow into the circle only alums and people who have made amazing contributions to the life of the corps.

While your suggestion is worthy of consideration, it comes at the cost of killing another revered tradition unless you are able to find another way to mark the respect the tradition honors.

I guess there could be an addition made to the sign that states, "This offer is only good for up to ten minutes before the contest starts. At that point, we will request all fans to leave the circle and go into the stadium to watch and support all the corps."

THAT would generate some serious good PR.

Here's an interesting thought:

New rule: All corps must complete the playing warm-up by the time the National Anthem starts. No playing of any kind after that. (Obviously we'll modify the rule for regionals).

Edited by Kamarag

of course you are aware that there are certain corps, such as Crown and Cadets who allow into the circle only alums and people who have made amazing contributions to the life of the corps.

While your suggestion is worthy of consideration, it comes at the cost of killing another revered tradition unless you are able to find another way to mark the respect the tradition honors.

That's why I'm suggesting others pay for the honor. I suspect alums would be the first to endorse the idea of something that makes the corps some additional money for operating expenses, especially when it wouldn't cost a penny to do so.

Perhaps suggest a minimum donation?