Crown's 2013 show "E=mc2"

In response to people who don't want to do research for a show, BD encouraged me to research DaDaism last year. And drum corps since I was a kid has encouraged me to learn more about music and art. For instance, I learned about Shostakovich's music after falling in love with mid 80's SCV. Curious to know why an anti-intellectual stance is considered a positive trait when it comes to being a critic of drum corps. Research and expanding knowledge whatever the reason is always good. In fact, I don't know much about Einstein on the Beach and now, I'll go research it. Thanks Carolina Crown.

EXACTLY! Drum corps, for me, has never been about disposable entertainment. It's always been something I WANT to learn more about; something I want to delve into, learn as much about shows I like (or even don't like - at least then I'll know what I'm disliking), etc. There has been, and continues to be, a LOT of great literature that drum corps has turned me on to. When I didn't know Garfield Cadets from Garfield the cat, and saw a video of their famous Z-fold, I knew that it looked pretty cool, and I knew that the fans were obviously going nuts for it. See, even something as seemingly simplistic as a drill move has at least a little bit of 'back story' behind it. The dissolving/reforming company front in Garfield 87 is brilliant to watch; hearing the story behind it (or a similar story regarding Star 91's crosses), makes it even cooler.

I leaned about Les Mis from Garfield 89: knew nothing about what was going on, only vague ideas of war and such. After doing a little research after seeing Cadets' show, I fell in love with Les Mis.

I can go on and on about stuff that I learned with drum corps being the stepping stone: it's like DCI = the gateway to deeper learning!

• Like 2

Now I don't mind researching something to understand a show better. But I do still believe that a show needs to be entertaining without having to do the research. And that is what differs between BD and Crown for me. I don't want to have to listen to the originals first. I had to in 2010 to start to see what they did with the arrangements that was neat. But I jut never got into the show in general. But it did cause me to find that Stan Kenton album.. that was an interesting listen that I enjoyed listening to. Didn't do any favors for me liking BDs show.. but I will thnak them for getting me interested in the source material.. not that I wasn't a Kenton fan already.. just never really dove into him that much.

But Crown.. they have shows I can be real into on the first viewing. They have the powerful brass, accessible drill, awesome music that I'm always singing or humming well after I view the show. BD... all I see and hear from their shows is clutter. Musical and visual clutter. There is nothing I can latch on to. Cadets... they are playing Barber... not the most pleasant music to the ear. Interesting none the less. They have everything Crown offers also. I can sing back the melody to their opener right now. Yeah.. I can sing back the opening melody of rite of spring... but they shove it down your throat... and they work off that one motif for too long. Do a full melody. Develop a phrase. I love the in your face brass moments, but there is usually nothing musical about it. Nothing I can latch on to emotionally.

I don't know if I am being articulate enough. But does anyone understand what I'm trying to say? Challenge me to think.. but I still want you to blow my face off.

• Like 2

Robert Wilson, one of the Einstein on the Beach's directors, once sat down next to Arthur Miller, who was attending one of the performances of Einstein. Miller, not realizing who had just sat down next to him, leaned over and quietly whispered, "I don't get it." Wilson leaned back and said in response, "that's ok, neither do I."

When I saw Einstein a year and a half ago, it was the first time in my life that I understood Art for Art's Sake.

• Like 2

Probably most of them, except those who had done their homework. But people have some notion of opera, symphony, etc even if they'd never been before, and only those inspired enough will go back a second, third, fourth time to hear the same piece again, or by another performer, several times in order that each becomes more clear. Much the same reason that I order DVDs to watch them over and over again knowing that shows "mature" on me over time.

But, the vast majority of people don't have any idea what drum corps IS, let alone what goes on. Not only is it new and unknown, it's a significant contribution of time and money to attend. Especially for a family. To ask them to continue to attend after they didn't enjoy the entertainment, or didn't get the point of the competition, or - whatever - is asking a lot. Drum corps has two strikes against it where-as most of the other arts do have, at least, familiarity.

I question whether drum corps can afford to follow the symphonic model that says "It may take a long time before you get it" when, in itself, that model is failing symphonies around the world. I rather think that it would be more likely a better approach to make each show fulfilling even without having to read a libretto and study the source music in order to get the point.

You know, I never really believed that the retreat from historic peak audience size was due to the nature of the shows drum corps are putting out there. But this makes me reconsider. With profound themes being "required" these days, and so many people saying we must research the shows to enjoy them, could we be turning off some people to the point where they decide not to go to shows in the first place?

You know, I never really believed that the retreat from historic peak audience size was due to the nature of the shows drum corps are putting out there. But this makes me reconsider. With profound themes being "required" these days, and so many people saying we must research the shows to enjoy them, could we be turning off some people to the point where they decide not to go to shows in the first place?

I'll just go on the record again: I don't believe Crown's show needs any research to be enjoyed. It's quite accessible as "just plain good drum corps".

I *do* agree that knowing a little about EOTB increase *my* enjoyment of the show -- but ... I'm a nerd and like understanding every little nuance in a show.

Hey everyone, I'm new but I had to post because there are so many obvious things going on I had to share. Below are some less obvious, in no particular order:

Greatest first post in DCP history?? :worthy::thumbup::worthy::thumbup::worthy:

Looking forward to more thoughts from you, gladhatter!

• Like 3

I'll just go on the record again: I don't believe Crown's show needs any research to be enjoyed.

Personally, I feel the same way. And my question is not meant to single out Crown, as many corps inject research-inducing content into their show design, some relying on it far more than Crown. The question still remains - does this practice of creating thematic scavenger hunts for diehard fans (and judges) backfire with the casual fan, to the degree of pushing them away from the ticket counter? Probably a question better left for the off-season (and fairer to be asked in a thread not linked to a specific corps).