lewisburg

Gold was Open in the early to mid 2000's if I am correct. After taking a year off, then not making finals as an Open corps, they came back as a Class A corps, eventually winning the Class A title in 2010 and 2012. Being in Open class this year, that is a transition.

Sky (to me) didn't transition. They declared Class A at the last minute in 2002, won Class A, and then for some reason decided to declare open in the following years when they could have legitimately been a Class A corps, and didn't make finals. Eventually fell off the map sadly after 4 years of not making Open Class finals.

I hope they (the powers that be) make the decision to go Class A if that is their size next year (assuming they are coming out next year). I think pride has come before what was best for the organization a few times too many and it would be nice to see the organization not only survive, but thrive in the years to come, much like the way Carolina Gold is.

Yeah, I'm along the same lines of thinking as Liz. While Sky did transition between the two, the fact that they are currently inactive, while possibly unrelated, makes it seem like it wasn't a huge success.

Basically, I was saying there isnt a great track record for groups who have moved from Open to A successfully getting back into Open, and it looks like Sun and Gold are both doing that this year. I think thats an impressive feat and wanted to give them credit.

• Like 1

We'd be happy to claim 2010, but that one is Fusion Core's ;)

-Larry

Ok that is what I get for using my memory. Which isn't as good as it used to me.

I really did know that.

:doh:

• Like 2

Ok that is what I get for using my memory. Which isn't as good as it used to me.

I really did know that.

doh.gif

see...........that's how i am. and it's frustrating.

• Like 1

looking forward to Dubs review. Got back from the beach with a tired one year old, a tired wife, and a ton of laundry, so no way I could make it up there.

Well, I was there, steamingly, but hesitate to give a full review due to my fealty to DC World.

BUT:

Windsor: sprightly, fun, accessible.

Bush: still small, but a nice "greatest hits" show.

Sun: also rising. Great to see them back on the field.

Empire: death-bed reports premature. Big, traditional ES-wallops (esp. NY State of Mind opener). Flashy guard. KILLER battery. Plus, Joey Pero in da house.

Cabs: tighter, cleaner than Beepo. Bolero-tastic. Knew it would be close between Bellbottoms and Brunimen.

Cabs alums: Flamenco Cha-cha worth admission price.

Scout House: ditto Matilda and Col. Bogey.

I know, too short.

Watch for my Sideline Confidential in DCW.

• Like 2

I'll spread out the review over the week. I need to get to bed. I spent Sunday thinking about what I saw, hanging with Mom and Dad, reading General Grant's autobiography a bit, and there was a lot to see and think about that was pretty serious and good at the show. Heck, I'm even gonna tell an old story about a Samurai general, Ishida Mitsunari in regards to Empire. It pretty much fits what's going on. Yeah, I do love my military history. :cool:

And thanks, Ace, for confirming the Joey Pero Presence. Thought that gent in the white shirt had to be him.

And yes indeedy, I agree with Ace, this was a close show at the top. Both corps had real strengths and weaknesses versus one another that kind of washed each other out for this show.

• Like 2

I'll spread out the review over the week. I need to get to bed. I spent Sunday thinking about what I saw, hanging with Mom and Dad, reading General Grant's autobiography a bit, and there was a lot to see and think about that was pretty serious and good at the show. Heck, I'm even gonna tell an old story about a Samurai general, Ishida Mitsunari in regards to Empire. It pretty much fits what's going on. Yeah, I do love my military history. :cool:/>

And thanks, Ace, for confirming the Joey Pero Presence. Thought that gent in the white shirt had to be him.

And yes indeedy, I agree with Ace, this was a close show at the top. Both corps had real strengths and weaknesses versus one another that kind of washed each other out for this show.

ok so your reviews will now be W's march to the Bay ala Shermans March to the Sea

• Like 1

Didn't Corps Vets and Alliance both start out in Class A and move up .

Edited by Florida Sun
  • Like 1

Didn't Corps Vets and Alliance both start out in Class A and move up .

Yes.

• Like 1

Yes they did, but that wasn't the question. I believe he was referring to corps that had been Open Class, switched to Class A, and then were able to move back to Open Class successfully.

• Like 1