lewisburg

Yes they did, but that wasn't the question. I believe he was referring to corps that had been Open Class, switched to Class A, and then were able to move back to Open Class successfully.

That is how I read it as well.

• Like 2

ok so your reviews will now be W's march to the Bay ala Shermans March to the Sea

Or Ishida's march to the executioner. :satisfied:

I know there are a bunch of takes on all of what is happening with Empire. From personal experience, I, and I would think most of us on the field that day performed a 1984 DCA prelims run thinking it would be the last time the Westshoremen would take the field, unless by some crazy miracle we made finals with 6 weeks of rehearsal. If we made finals, we'd have one more performance... :cool: The corps continued for another 16 seasons, and did pretty good after they got back on their feet.

As for Ishida Mitsunari, he was by all accounts a pretty decent guy who would have made a really good DCA corps business manager or Director. He happened to be the Commanding General on the losing side of the biggest battle of all time in Japan, Sekigahara.

The winners were leading him and a few of his subordinates off to the executioner, when someone kindly offered him some persimmons to eat. He refused them on the grounds that they gave him indigestion. When one of his colleagues wryly remarked that maybe there were bigger things to be worrying about other than a case of indigestion, his response, roughly translated was this:

"Hey- you never know what could happen next." :satisfied:

In this situation I take Ishida's stance on this- Best to just wait patiently, observe, not get any indigestion over it, and just enjoy what there is or could be from the Statesmen for now or the possible future to the fullest.

• Like 3

That is how I read it as well.

Yeah, that's what I meant. Corps have moved up, but it's been rare for a corps to go Class A during lean years, regroup and get back in competition with the larger groups.

No idea why your post got downvoted. Odd.

I know there are a bunch of takes on all of what is happening with Empire. From personal experience, I, and I would think most of us on the field that day performed a 1984 DCA prelims run thinking it would be the last time the Westshoremen would take the field, unless by some crazy miracle we made finals with 6 weeks of rehearsal. If we made finals, we'd have one more performance... :cool: The corps continued for another 16 seasons, and did pretty good after they got back on their feet.

And in this day and age of everything on the web, would like to know how many people at Allentown knew the corps at Finals was not the same corps that was at the standstill show at the Forum in the Spring. Or the same show... :ph34r:

Gotta go into the books before we all forget it....

Yeah, that's what I meant. Corps have moved up, but it's been rare for a corps to go Class A during lean years, regroup and get back in competition with the larger groups.

No idea why your post got downvoted. Odd.

Seems whatever I say lately does. I gave Cabs a Congrats for their win Saturday and that received a negative rating. :blink:

Whatever....

In the end as much as we love drum corps, for most of us it truly is just a hobby. Maybe it is the whole acceptance of retiring from the activity, but if someone feels the need to give a -1 to someone for wishing a corps well, they have far bigger issues than winning or losing a show. :ph34r:

• Like 2

Seems whatever I say lately does. I gave Cabs a Congrats for their win Saturday and that received a negative rating. :blink:/>

Whatever....

In the end as much as we love drum corps, for most of us it truly is just a hobby. Maybe it is the whole acceptance of retiring from the activity, but if someone feels the need to give a -1 to someone for wishing a corps well, they have far bigger issues than winning or losing a show. :ph34r:/>

Ya know Liz - most of the folks on here are not precisely spring chickens... in all likelihood whoever gave you a -1 was trying to give you a + but his eyes are shot and his hands shake.

And that's just the little stuff that starts to go wrong...

Chalk it up to grumpy old men...

• Like 2

I'll spread out the review over the week. I need to get to bed. I spent Sunday thinking about what I saw, hanging with Mom and Dad, reading General Grant's autobiography a bit, and there was a lot to see and think about that was pretty serious and good at the show. Heck, I'm even gonna tell an old story about a Samurai general, Ishida Mitsunari in regards to Empire. It pretty much fits what's going on. Yeah, I do love my military history. :cool:/>

And thanks, Ace, for confirming the Joey Pero Presence. Thought that gent in the white shirt had to be him.

And yes indeedy, I agree with Ace, this was a close show at the top. Both corps had real strengths and weaknesses versus one another that kind of washed each other out for this show.

Here's some military history for you - I got out just in time. (after just a little more than 4 years)

40 years ago next June 1st.

Ya know Liz - most of the folks on here are not precisely spring chickens... in all likelihood whoever gave you a -1 was trying to give you a + but his eyes are shot and his hands shake.

And that's just the little stuff that starts to go wrong...

Chalk it up to grumpy old men...

I'd like to tend to agree with you Ray. But it has been a string of posts, wishing Sky well with their return was another, etc.

And if they can't tell the red from the green, should they be driving?

*Channeling George Carlin on that one....Hopefully somebody else remembers it!* :devil:

• Like 5

Seems whatever I say lately does. I gave Cabs a Congrats for their win Saturday and that received a negative rating. blink.gif

Whatever....

In the end as much as we love drum corps, for most of us it truly is just a hobby. Maybe it is the whole acceptance of retiring from the activity, but if someone feels the need to give a -1 to someone for wishing a corps well, they have far bigger issues than winning or losing a show. ph34r.gif

Liz, that negative rating must have been from a disgruntled fan (or even a member) of one of the losing corps. That's the only reason I could possibly fathom for something as dumb as that. I know you and I don't always see eye-to-eye on some things, but I respect your opinions and love your passion for the activity and all the corps in it. Whoever gave you that negative is just acting dopey, or letting biases cloud his or her judgment.

See you at the Grand Prix?

• Like 2