Michigan City Review

Colt Cadets – Energetic and fun overall. Clean to do of course. Show well written for their level.

Legends – Also well written for their level. Pit had some very musical moments. Not sure the show theme is clear.

The Blue Stars – I did not follow this theme very well either. Pacing seems a real issue as does the visual program, written and cleaning wise. Drum line pretty clean but with a book that isn't pushing them close to the groups above them regarding what they are being asked to do. Brass seem to have some real talent but lots of feet in bell sounds and stickouts tonight. Not sure yet this is finals worthy. They seemed flat tonight.

Crossmen – Also have some pacing issues. I thought they clearly out performed Blue Stars. Brass sounded solid but don't have much demand on the move. Drums had some great moments and some blow ups tonight. The show theme comes cross pretty well from time to time. The uniform looks nice on the field. There are some good moments for the guard but their flags are pretty tame and don't offer a lot of impact or effect.

Spirit of Atlanta - They were clearly better than the corps before them and should be closer to Madison and Cavies than Crossmen and Blue Stars for sure. Their theme is very evident in their show and they offer a ton of musical and visual variety. Lots of GE moments throughout. Lots of challenge for all sections in both music and visual. I loved the opening and ending being similar to tie it all together. Lots of fast tempos and really good performance energy tonight. Read they have a new closer, which I though was evident clean wise, but emotionally they really pulled it off. Knocking at the Speakeasy door to start the closer should be more clear. Seems like they are only a few loose ends away from having a great package that is better than previous two years but in the same overall vain. Thanks for not abandoning your style of drum corps.

Madison – I though they were the winner tonight due to sheer will power. They are as dirty a Spirit of Cavies, but carry more punch. The theme is clear and worked within an inch of its life. They play loud a lot and don't have as much moving and playing demand as Spirit of Cavies, but that may not be necessary for this show. The guard comes across well as soldiers and they certainly toss a lot of big tosses. The drums were pretty #### clean, but the parts don't always seem to work with the brass parts or even the pit parts.

The singing and "carry out the deceased soldiers" parts were a highlite. They have more transitions and drill issues to work out than Spirit of Cavies in that the rely on freeform a lot to reorganize for arrivals. Interested to see how many changes they make. I don't think they will stay above Cavies.

Cavaliers – The robes make the beginning look very dirty. Not sure what they can do about that now. I liked this much more live than on video. Drums are great as is the guard though the guard seemed to have an off night with drops and some rough flag phrases. They have a level of sophistication Scouts clearly do not have. Lots of cleaning to do yet.

The brass seem pretty young and dirty. I thought Madison, Spirit, Blue Stars, and Crossmen all out played them. Pitch and blend was a standout issue for sure. Eager to see what their change days produce.

• Like 1

Great honest review