Cavies vs. Scouts - the ALL BOY battle

Cavies will be 2 + pts over Scouts (minimum) by August. It's about content, not early season emotion and volume. Scout's need to start designing a show that doesn't peak at MN.

• Like 6

The truly cool thing about this particular rivalry is how much love and respect the members and alums have for those of the other organization.

• Like 6

Cavies will be 2 + pts over Scouts (minimum) by August. It's about content, not early season emotion and volume. Scout's need to start designing a show that doesn't peak at MN.

They might jump them but to say they will mutilate them (so to speak) by a spread that indicates not even being in the same competitive league might be just a bit too presumptuous.

• Like 2

IMO, Cavies have an outside shot at 5th place. But in order to do this next weekend they will need to beat a corps they have not beat yet. If after next weekend they have not beaten Madison, PR or Bloo - then IMO no 5th place.

• Like 1

I was going to start this off but y'all beat me to it.

RE: The speculation over which team is going to improve most before Minneapolis, utilizing their about equal upcoming days off from competitions.

Subjective opinions aside, just going by the trend lines, recap detail numbers and generally held common wisdom, the Cavies look like they have a clear advantage - not bullet-proof but significantly better odds.

It is generally recognized in this activity that it is substantially easier to water down, simplify and clean a show that has proven to be too difficult than it is to take an already achieved and cleaned show and add significantly more substance and difficulty to the book. I've had significant personal experience with this in winter guard and my friends with corps staff experience tell me the same thing. Madison has been getting a lot of recap scores with red warning lights that their show doesn't have enough meat. In many sub-captions their achievement scores almost and sometimes do match their content scores, which means a lot of judges have been telling them there's not much milk left in the cow. And more than once I've seen their achievement score higher than their content score, which translates as, "Your kids are better than the show you've given them." This is not an enviable position to be in.

The Cavies, on the other hand, came out of the starting gate with a very thick and difficult book and their recap scores reflected it, often beating Madison's score on content but trailing way behind in achievement. But performance and training can be improved by relatively direct means and improving achievement also tends to improve content scores when the depth of content becomes more readable. If the content is too shallow improving performance only makes that clearer, thus the frequent claim in these blogs that all Scouts have to do is clean more to raise their scores looks increasingly like implausible wishful thinking.

• Like 6

The truly cool thing about this particular rivalry is how much love and respect the members and alums have for those of the other organization.

Thank you very much Michael for expressing what many of us believe is a very true sentiment on both sides.

• Like 1

IMO, Cavies have an outside shot at 5th place. But in order to do this next weekend they will need to beat a corps they have not beat yet. If after next weekend they have not beaten Madison, PR or Bloo - then IMO no 5th place.

I think they can beat at least one of them by next weekend. But overall, I just want them to be a better group than last year. Which, they clearly have been... Lets just wait and see how they did tonight. :thumbup: