Cavies vs. Scouts - the ALL BOY battle

As a Cavalier alum I can relay that our two organizations fully respect each other on and off the field. While sitting in the first row in Madison a few weeks ago I had goose bumps while the Scouts played YNWA and the alums in the stands singing to it. Something Ill never forget. It's what makes each corp so special to the ones who have marched in them.

• Like 2

Madison is more like they used to be and Cavaliers are less like they used to be. Id much rather have Madison over Cavies because they are more sure about their direction and identity. Cavaliers feel like they are trying to hard designing under such a formidable shadow... It feels like a different corps trying to be the Cavaliers while Madison seems pretty content to just be Madison. I'll see how I feel come finals...

• Like 1

Madison is more like they used to be and Cavaliers are less like they used to be. Id much rather have Madison over Cavies because they are more sure about their direction and identity. Cavaliers feel like they are trying to hard designing under such a formidable shadow... It feels like a different corps trying to be the Cavaliers while Madison seems pretty content to just be Madison. I'll see how I feel come finals...

I suppose it's nice that people feel free to express their feelings, but this sounds a bit too touchy-feely to take very seriously. As far as the "formidable shadow" goes, some clearly very knowledgeable bloggers in the "Cavies' Struggles" thread pretty thoroughly debunked that overblown myth. I've been watching the Cavies since 1986 and this year's corps and show is just as good and Cavies-like as any other corp's team and show resemble their traditional "feel". Madison may have resumed its old habits of parking and blowing, and marching hard drill only when they aren't playing, at least not anything hard, but can you watch Scouts' guard flouncing around the field in cammo and say they look like the Scouts of old? If so, it's all in your imagination, along with the hallucination that Cavies don't look or sound like they used to.

I don't remember Scouts' guard of old performing a show predominately of lengthy ripples and sequentials, which eat up a lot of counts to fill a show and leave individual performers with lots of rest time. Cavies' guard performs a book at least five times as thick as Scouts, at breakneck speed, with far more visual impact than Madison's hammy pantomime. As has been their historical habit, they carry it off looking far more macho than Scouts. And the guard program, as in the past, is fully integrated into the overall corps' drill and visual package, like one of the gears in a machine, to a degree that no other corps comes close to. I don't know how anybody could watch the Cavies' show this year and not see all the obvious qualities that Cavies are known for, from their signature drill moves to the spectacularly unified design of their visual program. Or even vaguely think they looked like imposters pretending to be Cavaliers. It's all in your head. Every year since their beginning, the Cavies have had a boatload of new kids, all of whom had to be taught how to "try" to be Cavaliers before they could become part of the machine. Come to think of it, that's what their whole show is about this year, isn't it?

Edited by PC
  • Like 4

I suppose it's nice that people feel free to express their feelings, but this sounds a bit too touchy-feely to take very seriously. As far as the "formidable shadow" goes, some clearly very knowledgeable bloggers in the "Cavies' Struggles" thread pretty thoroughly debunked that overblown myth. I've been watching the Cavies since 1986 and this year's corps and show is just as good and Cavies-like as any other corp's team and show resemble their traditional "feel". Madison may have resumed its old habits of parking and blowing, and marching hard drill only when they aren't playing, at least not anything hard, but can you watch Scouts' guard flouncing around the field in cammo and say they look like the Scouts of old? If so, it's all in your imagination, along with the notion that Cavies don't look or sound like they used to.

Madison's hornline does not play hard licks when they just stand still anymore! Have you objectively seen their show this year? They move and play some awesome parts. Especially during the ""Afghanistan 2025" production. Trust me that argument about the scouts will no longer stand from this year going forward.

• Like 3

Madison's hornline does not play hard licks when they just stand still anymore! Have you objectively seen their show this year? They move and play some awesome parts. Especially during the ""Afghanistan 2025" production. Trust me that argument about the scouts will no longer stand from this year going forward.

I've seen them twice already this year, and countless times in year's past. And they unmistakeably "park and blow" for most of their show. Are you claiming that they drill hard and play hard simultaneously for the majority of their show? Wanna bet?

• Like 3

A good number of people have questioned whether Madison has the content to avoid peaking early, and wondering whether or not they're being given shows that challenge their members enough. How things turn out this year will add or detract from that theory, but in general I would say it's pretty hard to argue with the success that their approach has given them over the last 3-4 years and this year seems to be no different. Now if they end up in 10th again, I think it's time to start designing shows with more meat, because they've reached the point where they have the talent to handle it.

• Like 2

I suppose it's nice that people feel free to express their feelings, but this sounds a bit too touchy-feely to take very seriously. As far as the "formidable shadow" goes, some clearly very knowledgeable bloggers in the "Cavies' Struggles" thread pretty thoroughly debunked that overblown myth. I've been watching the Cavies since 1986 and this year's corps and show is just as good and Cavies-like as any other corp's team and show resemble their traditional "feel". Madison may have resumed its old habits of parking and blowing, and marching hard drill only when they aren't playing, at least not anything hard, but can you watch Scouts' guard flouncing around the field in cammo and say they look like the Scouts of old? If so, it's all in your imagination, along with the hallucination that Cavies don't look or sound like they used to.

I don't remember Scouts' guard of old performing a show predominately of lengthy ripples and sequentials, which eat up a lot of counts to fill a show and leave individual performers with lots of rest time. Cavies' guard performs a book at least five times as thick as Scouts, at breakneck speed, with far more visual impact than Madison's hammy pantomime. As has been their historical habit, they carry it off looking far more macho than Scouts. And the guard program, as in the past, is fully integrated into the overall corps' drill and visual package, like one of the gears in a machine, to a degree that no other corps comes close to. I don't know how anybody could watch the Cavies' show this year and not see all the obvious qualities that Cavies are known for, from their signature drill moves to the spectacularly unified design of their visual program. Or even vaguely think they looked like imposters pretending to be Cavaliers. It's all in your head. Every year since their beginning, the Cavies have had a boatload of new kids, all of whom had to be taught how to "try" to be Cavaliers before they could become part of the machine. Come to think of it, that's what their whole show is about this year, isn't it?

I'm not here to compare the two, as I thoroughly enjoy both shows...and I feel like both Corps are playing programs that fit who they are to a tee. There are "park and blow" moments in Madison's show for sure, but to me - and I guess this is just the artist/musician in me - they fit with what is going on emotionally in the show. I see no need to "beef up" the visual book just for the sake of having more demand in certain parts of the show. Will that detract from their competitive rank down the road? Maybe, but I could care less. I do hope they move up a spot or two from last year, but if not, I don't think that takes away from the show they are performing at all...crowds are going nuts, grown men are crying, and women are throwing their undergarments! And the Cavaliers are throwing down and refining a very meaty program, while communicating a very intriguing theme. Let the chips fall where they may competitively between the two "Boy Bands", in the mean time, I'm enjoying it all!

Edited by madalumni
  • Like 3

Cool story bro! thumbdown.gif

• Like 4

What reason do I have to "imagine" an impression of the 2013 cavies? It's my impression and sorry you don't agree.

And as far as posts that should be taken seriously goes... maybe you should just try again.

• Like 3