Cavies vs. Scouts - the ALL BOY battle

Pretty simple: Madison is having significant visual problems, particularly with Scouts' guard (which their weaker performance/design bleeds into Vis. Analysis & GE Vis). Cavaliers have some brass issues for sure, but their brass is good enough to be overcompensated for by visual (against Scouts, at least); and whatever edge Madison has in brass Cavaliers more than make up for it in percussion (which is WAY stronger than Madison's percussion).

If Madison can get their guard on the same page as their brass, and get their percussion section better, they'll be knocking on the Top 6 door. Right now, though, that guard is a detriment that is obviously holding Madison back in the upstairs Vis. captions.

Very true. Many seem to think it's the GE or the concept of the show. But like you have pointed out, all one has to do is look at the recaps and it is clear. Madison has actually put themselves in a good position for the long term because they have solidified several captions. Now, like you said, they need to take it up a couple notches in Guard and Visual. They will, but these days, building a Color Guard program is one of the toughest things...especially in today's climate, where there are so many great programs. I know there are some who think being patient for the future is settling for mediocrity in favor of pushing for excellence, but I disagree. I would rather see the staff continue to do what they are doing - which is build the program slow and steady!

Very true. Many seem to think it's the GE or the concept of the show. But like you have pointed out, all one has to do is look at the recaps and it is clear. Madison has actually put themselves in a good position for the long term because they have solidified several captions. Now, like you said, they need to take it up a couple notches in Guard and Visual. They will, but these days, building a Color Guard program is one of the toughest things...especially in today's climate, where there are so many great programs. I know there are some who think being patient for the future is settling for mediocrity in favor of pushing for excellence, but I disagree. I would rather see the staff continue to do what they are doing - which is build the program slow and steady!

So true; Madison has been around for 3/4's of a CENTURY! As a fan, I can wait another year or two while the corps continues to improve and climb up the ranks! Scouts have shown they're not going anywhere; while I'd love for them to jump up sooner than later, there's NOTHING wrong with being a solid-performing corps with a fan-friendly performance that seemingly makes the alumni proud & happy.

• Like 2

Isn't it interesting how all the blowhards on this topic have suddenly made themselves scarce lately? Guess the subject only interested them when Madison was beating Cavies and they could crow about how much they were going to beat them by . . . and then some others, and just how bad they thought Cavies would be . . . like, maybe, non-finalists.

Now that a new Cavalier calamity doesn't look very likely there doesn't seem to be anything of interest to them left in the subject.

I tend to agree heartily with the blogger who said that now both corps have solid crowd-pleasing programs that they can build on for the future. And neither should be wishing for the other to take a dive, I would add.

Edited by PC

A tie tonight. Well that's interesting. At the beginning of the season I didn't think it would be this close in the end.

Madison in front of Crown in Percussion may have helped just a bit tonight. Must have had a great night. Color guard, another story.

Madison in front of Crown in Percussion may have helped just a bit tonight. Must have had a great night. Color guard, another story.

Color guard has been an Achilles heel for awhile now, minus maybe 2010. The fact that they can't draw Cavies level talent is troubling.

Based on the finals scores, can we now call this topic over? Along with "Cavies' Struggles" and any other threads based on notions that somehow these two corps have to climb over one or the other's defeated carcasses before they can move forward? It seems to me that both had shows that were greatly appreciated by the audiences, huge strengths they can build on, and that (ignoring for the moment the awkward Boston interloper) both stand ready to duke it out next year with some pretty exalted competitors that any corps should be proud to be in earnest contention with. Ain't that enough?