Cavies vs. Scouts - the ALL BOY battle

I don't like the fact that we even use the word "band" in discussing drum corps at all. But, I guess it can be supported given the fact that they did away with g bugles. I am just happy that i marched in the era that g bugles were used. Those bugles brought a nostalgia to the activity that b flat horns do not.

I believe that what one finds to be nostalgic depends on when one became a fan or marcher. Today's marchers will get nostalgic in the future when they hear amplified narration the way it was done in the "good old days" of this decade. Perhaps the only thing yesterday's marchers can agree upon with today's marchers is that no corps should play the music of Justin Bieber...and especially not produce an all-Bieber show.

• Like 2

I believe that what one finds to be nostalgic depends on when one became a fan or marcher. Today's marchers will get nostalgic in the future when they hear amplified narration the way it was done in the "good old days" of this decade.

Now THAT'S some good comedy.

• Like 2

I don't like the fact that we even use the word "band" in discussing drum corps at all. But, I guess it can be supported given the fact that they did away with g bugles. I am just happy that i marched in the era that g bugles were used. Those bugles brought a nostalgia to the activity that b flat horns do not.

Nail. Head.

G bugles bring more Nostalgia than Bb horns?

As in you have more sentimentality for the when you march than people who marched with Bbs have of when they marched?

I don't think the experience is about the key of the horn.

I'm sad I won't get to see Madison this year.

Edited by TheClutch
  • Like 1

Wah. G Bugles are not coming back. the sooner everyone accepts that, the sooner they can move on and start enjoying things more. They may have been louder, but there was also a lot more bad sounds coming out of horn lines.

I like the comparison of Madison and Cavies being seen as boy bands. They're all male, and all of the girls go crazy for them (Some of the guys as well). Their story this season will be very interesting to watch play out. Both are long-time classic corps, and are always well-respected, and seem to have very committed fans. Hope everyone can enjoy the season no matter the outcome

• Like 3

Technically, they have not used "bugles" in decades. I'm not sure why there was a big fuss about switching from a G trumpet with two piston valves to a Bb trumpet with three valves, but there was. When the instrument received it's first valve, whether it was a piston or rotary, it stopped being a bugle and became a trumpet. Just because we called it a "bugle" fifty years ago didn't make it a bugle, no more so than today.

Edited by DAvery
  • Like 4

Being part of the "modern" generation, I have found b-flat horns to be just as entertaining and "nostalgic" as g bugles.

• Like 4

Being part of the "modern" generation, I have found b-flat horns to be just as entertaining and "nostalgic" as g bugles.

Posting during a water break, I see. cool.gif

• Like 1