Cavies vs. Scouts - the ALL BOY battle

I love both corps. I am kind of surprised it took Cavaliers this long to overtake Scouts though. I don't think Scouts are going to pass Cavaliers this season again, but I am surprised they haven't overtaken Bluecoats yet. I would say Cavaliers and Scouts performance level is above the Bluecoats, at least from the shows that I have seen. And watching Atlanta, I thought Bluecoats were the weakest of the top 8 corps in performance level. So while theoretically right now Scouts would be in 8th, I don't think 7th would be out of reach. And with a few changes, possibly 6th even would be possible. But from a design standpoint, I think Cavaliers have a stronger vehicle to work with. Scouts have some great moments during their show, but to me, something feels like it is missing. Maybe it is just me this year, but several corps just seem to be a little bland, more so than a lot of other years. The shows are being performed well, but it just seems like the designers of several shows have just fallen a little short this year. Here's hoping for great finals weeks shows from both Cavaliers and Madison Scouts, and may the better performed show win.

• Like 4

As I said in the beginning of this thread - Can we get all the bloggers flogging this matchup to do it on a thread with a title that is relevant to their topic?

After tonight's second time Cavies outscored Scouts proved that last night's wasn't just a fluke ("outlier" if you're trendy), it's time for some people to admit that Cavies just might place higher than eighth.

• Like 2

I bet a decent amount of money that Scouts will beat Cavies in their next appearance with each other. I don't think Scouts' guard is a full point behind Cavies, and I expect Scouts' GE (particularly music) score to increase. Just my thoughts. Anything can happen in the last 2 weeks.

Aren't you glad that there wasn't any way for anybody to take you up on that wager? I suppose you can take some solace in Marie's calling the Cavies spread over Scouts' guard only eight tenths of a point instead of a full point. She was probably being cautious but I think that was still the biggest spread she has put between their guards all year.

• Like 1

Man I hope the Scouts pull it off. I'd love to see them (and all their staff) come to Charlotte next year.

I think they will...and it would sure be nice to see them in the top 7, FOR A CHANGE!

Man I hope the Scouts pull it off. I'd love to see them (and all their staff) come to Charlotte next year.

The Nightbeat show is Crown's TOC/G7 event, and Scouts aren't part of the G7 group. DCI rankings from previous season don't have anything to do with it, now that DCI's not making them add an 8th corps to the mix.

I bet a decent amount of money that Scouts will beat Cavies in their next appearance with each other. I don't think Scouts' guard is a full point behind Cavies, and I expect Scouts' GE (particularly music) score to increase. Just my thoughts. Anything can happen in the last 2 weeks.

That didn't happen today either, but I want both of these corps to do well.

This year, it is certainly legitimate to ask why Scouts aren't getting higher scores, and expect a serious answer rather than being branded a homer. They're doing the job, they deserve the mark.

Pretty simple: Madison is having significant visual problems, particularly with Scouts' guard (which their weaker performance/design bleeds into Vis. Analysis & GE Vis). Cavaliers have some brass issues for sure, but their brass is good enough to be overcompensated for by visual (against Scouts, at least); and whatever edge Madison has in brass Cavaliers more than make up for it in percussion (which is WAY stronger than Madison's percussion).

If Madison can get their guard on the same page as their brass, and get their percussion section better, they'll be knocking on the Top 6 door. Right now, though, that guard is a detriment that is obviously holding Madison back in the upstairs Vis. captions.

Here, Here!! Couldn't agree more. Best vehicle Madison's had in many years.

I'd agree, but unfortunately that's not enough to beat corps ahead of them who also have better shows (Cavaliers - current Top 6). Bluecoats (6th place) & Scouts are comparable from a Vis. Effect Standpoint, but Bluecoats are outperforming Scouts by quite a bit in brass & percussion.

I feel like from a design standpoint, Scouts' designers are playing the cautious, slow-build over the past couple seasons. Broke into Finals, and then have been gradually improving, but not really taking any chances: probably playing it conservatively to Scouts stay comfortably as Finalist. Similar events happened with Star in their early days, where it felt like designers were being cautious with show design/demand as to not risk giving the corps more than they could handle (though they placed as high as 7th in their 3rd & 4th seasons). Of course, once Star made Top 6 they placed Top 3 the following several seasons.

I think competition now is FAR great than it was in the late 80's/early 90's, and I think it is a LOT harder to compete at even a Top 7 level. Scouts are good, for sure, and it's exciting to see them so close to Top 7 or 6 this year. It will be curious to see if they have some fight left in them, or if BAC and Cavaliers will roll with the momentum and leave Madison behind.