Warrensburg, MO TOC Smackdown!

This "Championship Series" is all but wrapped up. As we know, as the season progresses the point spreads get smaller. 1.35 is a HUGE gap to make up in 6 shows. For argument sake if BD or Cadets were to beat Crown in all of the remaining TOC shows by .2 Crown will still win the Series.

Standings

Crown = 0

BD = -1.35

Cadets = -1.55

SCV = -3.10

PR = -4.70

Coats = -6.95

Cavs = -7.15

That's all well and good, but how many of us could recite the winners of the TOC series since its inception? Yeah, though so. :blink:

Something to keep in mind for all of you playing along at home.....on July 12, 2008 BD was 3 points up on PR....then in S.A. on the 19th BD was 2.5 ahead of PR.....then at finals................................................just sayin'

So there is still a good chance that BD will win at finals!!!

Good contest all the way around. Interesting to note that Cavaliers have closed 4 points on Bluecoats in three weeks.

cleaning, cleaning, cleaning. :smile:

My thoughts for tonight:

Crown - Way, way better performance than in Denver..... I was almost sure they would open up the spread on BD quite a bit. I like almost every aspect of this show and I usually hate amplified vocals..... but this is probably the best use of them in drum corps history.

Blue Devils - I like the show, but I think it is a step up in difficulty for them, and it is showing. It is scary how dirty they seemed tonight, yet still scored well. If they bring this anywhere close to there normal cleanliness level, might be tough to beat them. The judges must be giving them a ton of credit for demand.

Cadets - After Crown performed, I thought they had this show in the bag, but after Cadets I wasn't so sure. This was an amazing performance tonight and I absolutely loved all the changes they made to the show (especially eliminating that strange "cutesy" section in the scherzo). I think they are going to need to add some demand somewhere to be able to catch Crown though. It is awesome that we have three championship level shows this year.

SCV - Wow.... brass sounds better than they have since 2004 in my opinion. They are finally doing Shaw's arrangements justice, and beginning to sound similar to Phantom 2003-2008 (which is a great thing). Extremely entertaining musically and visually. I see them solidly in 4th the rest of the season.

Phantom Regiment - The show is a bit stale for me, but does have some gorgeous parts. It feels like Phantom "lite" though. They are very clean, so more demand may be in order to max out their effect.

Bluecoats - I think it was a rough performance tonight, but I know they recently made many changes. The show is interesting and they really seem to be going for that BD-like multiple points of focus at many times.

Cavaliers - The music book I think is OK, but it is definitely not being performed up to standard. I wish they could make a bigger deal about the change from the hood to the proper uniform... would be a really cool effect if it was a surprise.

Edited by Tez
  • Like 9

My thoughts for tonight:

Crown - Way, way better performance than in Denver..... I was almost sure they would open up the spread on BD quite a bit. I like almost every aspect of this show and I usually hate amplified vocals..... but this is probably the best use of them in drum corps history.

Blue Devils - I like the show, but I think it is a step up in difficulty for them, and it is showing. It is scary how dirty they seemed tonight, yet still scored well. If they bring this anywhere close to there normal cleanliness level, might be tough to beat them. The judges must be giving them a ton of credit for demand.

Cadets - After Crown performed, I thought they had this show in the bag, but after Cadets I wasn't so sure. This was an amazing performance tonight and I absolutely loved all the changes they made to the show (especially eliminating that strange "cutesy" in the scherzo). I think they are going to need to add some demand somewhere to be able to catch Crown though. It is awesome that we have three championship level shows this year.

SCV - Wow.... brass sounds better than they have since 2004 in my opinion. They are finally doing Shaw's arrangements justice. Extremely entertaining musically and visually. I see them solidly in 4th the rest of the season.

Phantom Regiment - The show is a bit stale for me, but does have some gorgeous parts. It feels like Phantom "lite" though. They are very clean, so more demand may be in order to max out their effect.

Bluecoats - I think it was a rough performance tonight, but I know they recently made many changes. The show is interesting and they really seem to be going for that BD-like multiple points of focus at many times.

Cavaliers - The music book I think is OK, but it is definitely not being performance up to standard. I wish they could make a bigger deal about the change from the hood to the proper uniform... would be a really cool effect if it was a surprise.

I was here too and agree with everything you said. Great night overall, minus the terribly awkward audience interviews.. Crown blew. Me. Away. Took my friend for his first drum corps event I think this show made him a fan for life.

I see on the recaps that BD did not win a single caption or subcaption tonight. Anyone know when's the last time that happened? 2005?

I actually like their show better than recent years, but it's plainly a tough show and they have a surprising amount of dirt. If they show up clean in August, they definitely have a lot of content that will get rewarded, so I don't think Crown is going to win in a walk.

All that said, Crown is pretty convincing. It's an awesome show and the performance level is outstanding. Congratulations on a very impressive win tonight.

So there is still a good chance that BD will win at finals!!!

I think BD still has a very strong chance and was just well off their game this one night.

They may have been distracted by the big yellow ball in the sky that they normally only see from the field during practices.

• Like 3

My thoughts for tonight:

Cadets - After Crown performed, I thought they had this show in the bag, but after Cadets I wasn't so sure. This was an amazing performance tonight and I absolutely loved all the changes they made to the show (especially eliminating that strange "cutesy" in the scherzo). I think they are going to need to add some demand somewhere to be able to catch Crown though. It is awesome that we have three championship level shows this year.

SCV - Wow.... brass sounds better than they have since 2004 in my opinion. They are finally doing Shaw's arrangements justice. Extremely entertaining musically and visually. I see them solidly in 4th the rest of the season.

Cavaliers - The music book I think is OK, but it is definitely not being performance up to standard. I wish they could make a bigger deal about the change from the hood to the proper uniform... would be a really cool effect if it was a surprise.

I was here too and agree with everything you said. Great night overall, minus the terribly awkward audience interviews.. Crown blew. Me. Away. Took my friend for his first drum corps event I think this show made him a fan for life.