Warrensburg, MO TOC Smackdown!

Their drill right now is not nearly as clean as quite a few corps below them right now... and their music is nothing spectacular. I know they won't miss finals.. how could DCI let that happen?

They are getting the complete benefit of being the Cavaliers from the judges... they got it last year.. they are getting it this year again.

I just want to make sure I'm understanding you correctly. Are you implying that Cavaliers are going to make Finals because of political reasons or something, and not because they are at worst better than 12-the rest of the field?! Just...wow. That's pretty crazy hyperbole.

If you're saying they're scoring where they are in Vis captions because they get a benefit of the doubt? I'm not sure of that, as I haven't seen enough show videos/performances to evaluate that, but I've always thought that marching was Bluecoats weakest caption so it doesn't surprise me that Cavaliers put up a pretty big spread on them in Vis Prof. tonight (but it is a pretty dang big spread tonight)

huh.gifhuh2.gifsad.gif Holy #### Jeff, Do you like drumcorps? This is the most depressing review I've ever read. I want to go cut myself after this and mix pills and Jack Daniels.

tongue.gif Try a Snickers!

do I like drum corps? yes. Do i like some of the stuff drum corps is doing....not so much.

as i said, I guess i'll need to see some of them live...that may change my mind.

well no, if Crown's perc staff keeps their heads buried like last year and don't fix obvious issues, i'll still say the percussion is killing them

My thoughts:

Bluecoats: There is no emotional connect between the audience (read: ME) and the music. I am intrigued by the bleachers and the idea, but it doesn't keep me engaged the way I have been engaged in the past with Coats shows.

Blue Devils: The first 4 minutes of this show I think are great, and then they go off the deep end being BD. That said, some problems tonight with some soloists and visual dirt everywhere. Blue Devils are professional performers no doubt, but this is by far their weakest offering in a while....and it's still almost championship capable.

Cavaliers: I have never heard a Cavies hornline struggle this much nor have I seen that much visual dirt in a Cavaliers show. I think the cloaks stay on too long and are hurting the visual. .....but the rest of the show without the cloaks need some serious scrub and bubbles too. I think this show will climb and finish 6th or 7th (Madison and Cavies flip flopping into Indy) So much potential though...needs some tweaks

INT: Sucks always but especially tonight. Really kids do you NOT know how to play MEMORY? Don't pick cards that have already been picked until you have seen them all.

Phantom Regiment: Nimrod was nice. This show has moments but they are about to be on an island by themselves in 5th soon. They will be the Bluecoats of 2012 this year. No competition Easily the most confusing prop of the year award.

Carolina Crown: Solid performance from top to bottom. Closer drill is dirty and needs to be addressed. Rotating Pyramid is getting better but is still very sloppy. First time watching the show on my big screen and the uniforms TRULY work well especially with transitions from backfield marching to frontfield. The orange pops big time. Best musical moment of the night with Abyss. Goosebump moment for sure. I am still wanting more at the end. That drill cannot get changed fast enough.

Cadets: My 2nd favorite show of the year. God I love Barber. I think this show would win in just about any other year. Tonight they seemed a bit off and perhaps travel fatigue and bus problems have to do with that, but the performance didn't move me like others I've seen online. Could be mic placement. Cadets don't have the velocity I've seen from them in the past and the musical demand is present but not quite at the top. They are performing a very good show, very well. But it's not a ridiculous show that I think they will need to finish it off. I love the Medea overlapping the Adagio in the 4th movement and the soft ending is brilliant. They do have some visual dirty to work out and the props are even a bit of a liability at this time due to their inconsistent nature of moving easily. The color in this show and Crown's are the two best uses of color this year. I had them in 2nd.

Santa Clara: That opening statement is the best opening statement of the year! ....then drums (boo) totally kills the opening effect by going away from the brass. I'm not a fan of the arrangement in the opener. At the End of the Day is a big square for my taste. Castle on a Cloud is brilliant as is Bring Him Home. They sort of rush the rest of the show and never really complete a thought. They tried to pack too much music into one show. They could've done without the Red and Black theme and Rue Plumet lasts way too long. I know they are trying to showcase the percussion, but they are going to score high regardless. Let's get some development of themes going on and give me MORE of that DO YOU HEAR THE PEOPLE SING maestoso. That could be a HUGE moment if we just pull that tempo back and peel the face off and resolve it better. There were a few awkward key changes in the show but overall it's enjoyable. I think the drill is well written but very dirty. Solidly 4th place for the remainder of the year

• Like 2

do I like drum corps? yes. Do i like some of the stuff drum corps is doing....not so much.

as i said, I guess i'll need to see some of them live...that may change my mind.

well no, if Crown's perc staff keeps their heads buried like last year and don't fix obvious issues, i'll still say the percussion is killing them

eehh... 0.2 back from BD and 0.5 back from Cadets. I would hardly say it's a fleshwound. If those gaps increase over the rest of the month to maybe a point, I think we have a problem. Otherwise, the other captions will ease that deficit.

I think Crown has a good percussion section finally, which is why their scores are competitive. That's all they really need...to stay competitive.

I'll be interested to see if Cadets beef up their visual package a bit. They are crawling

My Favs Tonight:

1. SCV

2. Crown/Cadets

3. Blooo

4. Phantom

5. BD

6. Cavaliers

My Standings:

1. Crown

2. Cadets - by a full point over BD (think the judges just got this one wrong, should be corrected soon)

3. BD

4. SCV - roughly 1 point under BD

5. Phantom

6. Bluecoats

7. Cavaliers - and I'm sorry, and this is no disrespect to the Cavaliers (who have made terrific improvements) but if they are only .2 behind the Bluecoats then something with the judging is horribly wrong. They should be 2 points behind BLOO!

Room for most improvement: Cadets, Crown, BD, SCV (and this will likely be your top 4 this year)

Overall Crowd Favorites: SCV and Crown

Who could suffer the most when guard gets judged? Crown and Cavaliers

Most likely to win the title? Crown, with Cadets a dark horse. SCV is a potential dark horse. They are legit.

Personal Observations:

- love the narration in Crown's show. Brilliant.

- love everything about the Cadets show. Solid top to bottom, so many moods, great music and performance, and stunning color effects.

- Love Phantom's ballad

- like BD's opener. Not wild about the rest of the show.

- SCV's Les Mis is amazing and filled with power and chills. Bravo!!

- The Cavaliers are fast improving a decent show with very little upward growth potential from this point. Musicians, especially brass, just seem weak to me.

- Bluecoats are vastly underscored and should be within .5 of Phantom.

- I like Barry Manilow. I really do. One of my favs from the 70s and early 80s, but One Voice is odd. Nice arranging and all to try and sell it but I'm still not sure what to make of it. Copacabana, New York City Rhythm, Boogie Woogie bugle Boy (that he arranged for Bette Midler), Jump Shout Boogie, and some others would have been better. Nonetheless, the singers were excellent and I give the performers credit for singing and playing so well; but that was not drum corps to me.

Do NOT like the whole TOC thing.

I don't think Blue will catch up to PR again until they clean up their guard.

Are you telling me 'M Judge' isn't a real person? :omg:/>

####, I thought the creator of Beavis and Butthead and King of the Hill was judging guard tonight!

• Like 1

Are you telling me 'M Judge' isn't a real person? :omg:/>

Well, they'd be the most perfectly named person for their profession. They were born to judge with that name

i haven't posted much.... and some may blast me for my opinion.. being a "newbie" and all.. but seriously.. I was at the stadium in Warrensburg tonight, and every one of those kids played their butts off! let's all remember that these are kids, having the time of their lives.

can't we all try and remember that? I read DCP, to keep up on what's goin on, and it's becoming harder and harder to get through the forums, without being saddened by the negativity.

I have my likes, dislikes, and my opinions.. and while some of them are strong pro, or con, I wouldn't trash a corps like some of you guys do :(

I want to encourage those of you, who watched the show on FanNetwork, and had nothing but negative things to say, to give these guys a chance live if you can!

and a short note to those who trashed the "30 minute intermission, there's only 7 corps! " you need to keep in mind, that it's not a bug stadium.. and i'll tell you from experience, that it took all 30 of those minutes to hit the restroom, and get some water...

good show tonight reguardless.

J

Edited by mellojay84
  • Like 7