Will SCV overtake BD this season?

I haven't seen either show in person yet but have been avidly reading the progression of the recaps.

Will Santa Clara eventually overcome the 2013 Blue Devils? When will this occur? How far back did it last occur?

37450042.jpg

I surmize that you are not ######-footing about your answer or just being devilish?

• Like 1

I watched both groups last night in Omaha. I was also able to watch SCV in their afternoon block and caught a run through of BD. Both groups are doing excellent work on the field. SCV is probably my favorite show this season. I enjoyed BD for the first couple minutes of the show but then they lost me. I don't see SCV overtaking BD this season. The gap is too big. BD's show plays to the judges sheets more than SCV. I was telling my friends that SCV has more of a classic show and BD is cutting edge. I think if we were in the 90's, then SCV would be gunning for gold.

• Like 1

the only way SCV can do it, IMO, is if they totally flesh the show out storywise,ala Phantom 08. use the props more like a barricade, more role playing, smooth out some transitions, probably some drill re-writes as well as musical.

the question then is.....is there enough time. Phantom had the very rough framework in place in 08 and kept adding, There weren't a lot of major re-writes, it was just continued enhancement day after day, and the kids sold the hell out of them.

• Like 1

I think it is very possible for SCV to catch BD this year. I think with the splitting of the captions, it could be a very interesting finals. SCV hopefully will win percussion, and I would put them ahead of BD in music GE, and possibly visual GE. Vanguard definitely has one of the best musical shows of the year. I think there is a lot they can add with the props before the end of the season, and once they clean what they do have, I think they will be in a pretty good position.

Blue Devils on the other hand, almost seem like they are getting credit for things that aren't there. I like this show, and it is fairly clean right now. However, it reminds me of an improv troupe. They always say in improv, you aren't supposed to go for the immediate laugh, but to let it build into something even funnier. I feel like BD is trying to build into something during the show, but that it just doesn't materialize at the end, or very frequently throughout the show. What they do have is performed very well, but between the visual not quite materializing, and the music book seeming to me very disjointed, I am not sure this show should really end up receiving a medal at the end of the season. There are a few great visual moments, and musical moments, but as a whole package, falls a little short in my opinion. On the plus side for them, there are still 4 weeks remaining in the season, and BD is always a strong finisher.

• Like 1

I don't see SCV catching them, mostly because the content (aside from percussion) isn't going to get as much credit as BD. SCV is entertaining, musical and enjoyable, but their show wasn't designed as the kind of Spartacus-esque drama that some people are imagining - I don't think there's enough time to both clean and do a rewrite of that scope.

• Like 4

I wish with all of my heart that Vanguard would beat Devils outright at Finals. The rivalry has been dead for so long that BD just mocks Vanguard these days. I would love to rub a little lemon in their face again. Trust me, we enjoyed teasing BD a little in '89 even though I had about 20 friends in the corps.

Vanguard still has some weaknesses that I don't think will be ironed out this season. And with a 2 point gap, the judges have pretty much spoken - BD and SCV are not in the same category. I still love Vanguards show 100 times more than BD this year, and it will be a Vanguard favorite of mine forever, so I don't really care about scores or placements at this point.

• Like 3

Blue Devils on the other hand, almost seem like they are getting credit for things that aren't there. I like this show, and it is fairly clean right now.

BD doesn't look clean to me. I don't remember BD having this much dirt before.

IMO this is the hardest show they have ever done.

• Like 2