A very tough and tiring work week for me. I apologize. I'll try and have every corps up by the time I hit the hay tonight and get Fistbumps up for Sunday. 10 corps, 2 days, so much to cover. :satisfied:

The Sunrisers (7FE/18CG/17 Battery/24 Brass/1DM) presented their show entitled "A Painter's Canvas" to a lot of curiosity on my part. I liked the last year's "Carmen" production, and the move up to Open also has its advantages and disadvantages. Did they have what it takes to make Open Finals?

The show narrative is a color guard person on Side 2 working on a painting as the corps performs various pieces of music, much of it from Copland's "The Tender Land" and "Red Pony".

Sun has good energy and push, and it impressed me in this way. Some things got a bit shaky early on, and they drove through it with nary a burble. Most people likely didn't realize the situation unless you were an old schooler and listening carefully. A lesser corps could have collapsed and really blown the show in that situation under the lights with a full stadium. It's easy to perform when it clicks. When something gets out of the ordinary and you have to adapt, adjust and correct on the fly, it demands maturity, a good set of brains on your shoulders, and a VERY cool head.

Sun has all the above. I learned a lot about their character from that. They're mentally tough and agile.

The program is in a more intellectual vein like Carolina Gold's, but Sun has always been a step or two outside the box. Not enough to leave people wondering what the heck is going on, but not traveling the well-trod paths, either.

The baris could relax and open up the embouchure a bit more in "The Promise of Living", small issues like that are there. The corps clearly understands the program very well, they just need to polish and improve the consistency and quality of the performance. I did like the painting at the end of the show when it's revealed, all I will say is it's exactly what it should be. Sun has always understood the use of colors and how they apply to their corps and their aesthetic, and this year is no exception.

They eked out the win over Bush by .2, .4 with penalties removed. They're both very competitive and comparable to one another at this point in the season. All it would take is ever-so slightly changing 2-4 judges on the panel's perceptions, and the placing could shift. Right now, I see a cluster of Carolina Gold, Bush and Sun forming up, and it will remain to be seen if one or two of those corps can effect a breakaway from the third by finals weekend. Everyone likes to focus on the battles at the top, but there are a lot of GOOD battles forming up throughout the list of open class corps.

Next up, Empire after dinner. :satisfied:

• Like 1

The Empire Statesmen (13FE/7MG/22CG/45 Horns/19 Battery/3DM) came on after Sun, and all other things aside, how would they do this season? Last year's finish had to be somewhat disappointing. The show was solid, but the competition was also very strong.

This year's program comprises a "Best of" compilation for lack of a better description. It's also a better vehicle for the corps in my opinion, with more of an aggressive "high energy" format.

Attractive theater marques on the back 50 title the numbers as they're performed.

The corps came out confident and strong, with some feet and drill clarity issues in transition until the tempo kicked down a bit after the fanfare and "City of Angels" opener and into the "Miss Saigon" production. The corps performs with brio and verve, with a solid, deep and mature sound. The brass generates solid quality and power while keeping the lid on it so it never becomes unpleasant. Pitch centers are very carefully tended to. The arrangements are harmonically deep and thoughtful.

Some tearing was evident in "Sing, Sing, Sing", the "Oz" percussion feature is still a gem of composition and very pleasing, and the show concludes with "My(Our) Way", the corps swirling around the field and past the front ensemble for an exciting conclusion to the program. Last year, "My Way" came across in a very different way as performed. It was more wistful, sad, and lonely. This year, it's a bold and strident affirmation of what Empire is and what they believe about what and how they do things.

I had to invent a new term, credit first goes to Frank Ponzo, and then to Joey Pero.

Joey's foray into the Perosphere was spot on, as always. The corps gives him a blank canvas to musically paint on, and he never abuses that trust. Everything he plays is exciting, sounds wonderful, and enhances the total package and ensemble without being overbearing.

The show also is a strong framework that can still be added to and enhanced as they see fit. Donny Allen's already mentioned here that he'll be coming in for some performances, for instance. His fire with Joey's ice will be a real positive for the corps. I would think more surprises will await to be revealed.

All in all, a very strong first performance in competition that the crowd was extremely excited about and appreciative of. It appears that a lot of the issues that were in this performance were tended to this week judging by the large improvement in scores at Hornell.

They've established themselves as a strong and serious player in the mix. They have strong momentum right now, and it will need to be maintained as the season continues.

The final competitor for the evening were the Cabs (11FE/5MG/30CG/3DM/50(?) Brass/22 Battery) with their "unRaveled" program.

Some of the reviews from earlier this season left me extremely curious about the show. Certain things were said that left em thinking and wondering about what I would see and hear.

The initial musical and visual statements and accelerando left me thinking, "YEAH!", culminating in a big fat as heck 9 chord with a chromatic run to Frank Ponzo, who had a VERY fine foray into the Ponzosphere tonight and finishes off the fanfare with style and panache. I do have to give credit to Frank for my making up the new term. I can think of no etter way to describe his playing. (Or Joey's by using 'Perosphere')

There were some buggy spots like the sectional features in 3/4 but they will clean up. They're not exactly easy.

There are recognizable tunes in the program to give everyone a sense of familiarity, such as "Bolero", "Time to say Goodbye/"Con te Partiro", and "Paint it Black". I have to really tell the Tubas they knocked me dead with the 16th note feature. WOW! I can't print on DCP what I was actually thinking :thumbup: when I heard that. I also appreciated the confidence and aggressiveness of the battery. I think it's bringing them up a notch and giving them a sharper edge this season.

There's a LOT in this program to discover, appreciate, enjoy, and make you think about. It's VERY well constructed and coordinated from every end, deep, and engaging. The elements really mesh well and compliment each other. You hear what you see/see what you hear to a very high level. This is a VERY likeable show on multiple levels.

Let's break some of it down, at least what I think is going down in certain parts of the program. It's been discussed about how the vamp in "Bolero" keeps snaking into the show in several places. I realized this very quickly- Folks, the Rumps are hidden just beneath the musical surface of that vamp. The Cabs are playing those sections with a musical wink and a grin to the audience.

Also, One might think... "Paint it Black"... The Stones... what does THAT have to do with the Cabs? More than you might think. Two things dawned on me- the first lyrics of the song: ... "....a RED door and I want to paint it BLACK".... hmm, two of the major colors associated with the Cabs? Also, the vamp in Bolero is in the original Stones piece in the percussion near the end. The tie ins are really ingenious with this program.

The down ending is also a real gamble they're difficult to pull off well, and one that I think will start to come off wonderfully by the end of the season. My guess is that the ending's designed with Annapolis in mind, and it's a good venue to make that kind of thing happen with great success.

This show is a very fine show, and I think it'll have a lot of potential and momentum to carry it very well this season into Labor Day.

The final performance was from the Cabs Alumni (56(?) Brass/3DM/6MG/15CG/25 Battery/2 Tall Flags), and the crowd was obviously stoked and waiting.

Jimmy was in fine fettle, his smile lit up the stadium and the crowd.

This year's show is yet reworked, featuring music from several decaades, all of it within the traditional visual framework.

The initial fanfare moves into the old school "Portrait of a Dying Matador", then "Copacabana".

I like the concert number, "Jazzmerelda". It's got a very funky slow groove, and to rush it would take away a lot of the tastier aspects of the piece. Slow is sometimes better than fast.

The "Prayer/Don't Cry for me, Argentina" section was well received, and the percussion feature was really tight and exciting tonight. Jimmy introduced it, it seemed the battery then stood about 2 inches taller, took a deep breath, just cut loose and played the bejzeesus out of it tonight. A fine demonstration of the old school rudimental style, very clean, and exciting.

Of course the show ended with "Flamenco Cha-Cha", great solo work, the crowd going berserk, Jimmy making them even crazier, the Main Guard setting up the color presentation impeccably, Company front, all good stuff. Nothing fancy, but the timing and pace had the crowd totally with the corps though the closer.

Overall, the show was a great night of corps with a very good audience.

Conclusions from the entire weekend:

The Florida Corps are quite good. See them if you can before DCA weekend. You'll appreciate them greatly.

The Class A field will be tight and tough. I'll see White Sabres in Downingtown and we'll get a bit clearer picture of what Class A looks like then.

Empire is back, they're coming hard. Very hard.

The Cabs have a very fine program that's very well crafted. To me the whole corps is silently telling the audience what Jimmy says during the alumni performance to give the horns a breather:

"I like this, and I know you're gonna like it too!" Take it all in and just embrace what you see and hear.

Fusion is also very tight and tough. Numbers don't mean diddly, they're here and serious.

The competition for every slot in DCA open will be hard fought. At least one very good corps won't make finals. I haven't seen a weak link/vulnerable Open corps yet.

Bush has put together a very smart program that takes advantage of their strengths and minimizes weaknesses. They're not giving away the farm to everyone this year. Look out or get run over.

There are no bad shows to see in DCA. Everyone has something good they bring to the table and enjoy. Come to a show and support the member corps.

I'll do my Fistbumps Sunday. As always, Thank you to the member corps for their efforts and for the kind words or the razberries. I want people to know there's a lot of good things happening on the field from may different corps and to come out and cheer them on. :satisfied:

After the Fistbumps Sunday, See you all in Downingtown!!!!!! :thumbup:

• Like 1

The final performance was from the Cabs Alumni (56(?) Brass/3DM/6MG/15CG/25 Battery/2 Tall Flags), and the crowd was obviously stoked and waiting.

Jimmy was in fine fettle, his smile lit up the stadium and the crowd.

This year's show is yet reworked, featuring music from several decaades, all of it within the traditional visual framework.

The initial fanfare moves into the old school "Portrait of a Dying Matador", then "Copacabana".

I like the concert number, "Jazzmerelda". It's got a very funky slow groove, and to rush it would take away a lot of the tastier aspects of the piece. Slow is sometimes better than fast.

The "Prayer/Don't Cry for me, Argentina" section was well received, and the percussion feature was really tight and exciting tonight. Jimmy introduced it, it seemed the battery then stood about 2 inches taller, took a deep breath, just cut loose and played the bejzeesus out of it tonight. A fine demonstration of the old school rudimental style, very clean, and exciting.

Of course the show ended with "Flamenco Cha-Cha", great solo work, the crowd going berserk, Jimmy making them even crazier, the Main Guard setting up the color presentation impeccably, Company front, all good stuff. Nothing fancy, but the timing and pace had the crowd totally with the corps though the closer.

Thank you, BigW. Your reviews are always informative and entertaining. I especially appreciate your including all of the exhibition corps in your write-ups, and I know our members also look forward to the feedback. thumbup.gifthumbup.gif

Thank you, BigW. Your reviews are always informative and entertaining. I especially appreciate your including all of the exhibition corps in your write-ups, and I know our members also look forward to the feedback. thumbup.gifthumbup.gif

John, the crowd loves all of you a ton.

And yeah, the exhibition alumni corps put the time in one the field when it's hot out just like everyone else. It's still rough. :satisfied:

There's something I forgot to mention, I'll have to do that later. I'll send you a PM. Let me put it this way, I respect BOTH the active and alumni corps for who they are and what they represent.

The bond between these two is like nothing else I know. It is a special organization!

John, the crowd loves all of you a ton.

And yeah, the exhibition alumni corps put the time in one the field when it's hot out just like everyone else. It's still rough. :satisfied:/>

There's something I forgot to mention, I'll have to do that later. I'll send you a PM. Let me put it this way, I respect BOTH the active and alumni corps for who they are and what they represent.

• Like 1

The bond between these two is like nothing else I know. It is a special organization!

PRECISELY, Joe!

This is exactly what I want to get at.

I love race cars. Another one of my interests besides music, military history and Corps. I go to events and take lots of pics like these. :satisfied:

This is the only way I can explain the whole thing to people.

Cabs Alumni:

DSCF6623.jpg

2013 Cabs:

DSCF4285.jpg

BOTH are fantastic! BOTH sound GREAT! (NOTHING like a race tuned Chevy big block!) BOTH are class champions at LeMans in their eras. BOTH have a lot of history. BOTH represent cutting edge technology in their eras. JUST like the Cabs! You have to respect both for what they are and appreciate both of them.

Edited by BigW
  • Like 1

PRECISELY, Joe!

This is exactly what I want to get at.

I love race cars. Another one of my interests besides music, military history and Corps. I go to events and take lots of pics like these. satisfied.gif

This is the only way I can explain the whole thing to people.

BOTH are fantastic! BOTH sound GREAT! (NOTHING like a race tuned Chevy big block!) BOTH are class champions at LeMans in their eras. BOTH have a lot of history. BOTH represent cutting edge technology in their eras. JUST like the Cabs! You have to respect both for what they are and appreciate both of them.

Beautifully put! I wish you could have seen the combined corps last night in Clifton playing "Cha-Cha Flamenco" together. Old met new, and I guess you could say we did a lap around the track together, figuratively speaking! tongue.gif

The final competitor for the evening were the Cabs (11FE/5MG/30CG/3DM/50(?) Brass/22 Battery) with their "unRaveled" program.

I have to really tell the Tubas they knocked me dead with the 16th note feature. WOW! I can't print on DCP what I was actually thinking :thumbup:/> when I heard that.

I'm surprised no one else has brought up the Cabs tuba line this year. Holy crap can those kids play!!! They haven't marched all 10 yet but the 8 that played this weekend put out QUALITY sound. They have a feature front and center in the 3rd movement plus they do the 16th note run with the rest of the hornline!! Are you kidding me?!? Name another DCA tuba line that does that!. I asked around and they got some monster players in this year from another corps, a vet from Brigs that came back to marching, plus a couple solid rookies. Only 2 or 3 of the 10 are Cabs vets. Honestly they're my vote for best tuba line in all of DCA. Screaming trumpets are awesome, a great tuba line is even better.

• Like 1

I'm surprised no one else has brought up the Cabs tuba line this year. Holy crap can those kids play!!! They haven't marched all 10 yet but the 8 that played this weekend put out QUALITY sound. They have a feature front and center in the 3rd movement plus they do the 16th note run with the rest of the hornline!! Are you kidding me?!? Name another DCA tuba line that does that!. I asked around and they got some monster players in this year from another corps, a vet from Brigs that came back to marching, plus a couple solid rookies. Only 2 or 3 of the 10 are Cabs vets. Honestly they're my vote for best tuba line in all of DCA. Screaming trumpets are awesome, a great tuba line is even better.

Well, I don't know if a great tuba line is "better" :tongue:/> , but, yeah, they're crazy good, aren't they :worthy:/> ? And if #'s 9 & 10 are as good as I hear they are, my vote's same as yours (Well, it already is, but. . . ).

I think in part it's that people aren't being taught to listen anymore. Not just hear music, but LISTEN to it. It's a pet peeve of mine. A product of our society and pop music, and ambient/elevator music that surrounds us that's NOT to be actually listened to but heard. There seems to be a stigma to actually listening closely to music and what's in it. Lord knows I tried when I was an active Music Educator, but it's really ingrained on people not to do it because it takes the 'fun' out of music. I find joy in the discovery of the cool stuff that's hidden in music.

It's easy to write things that come off well on the surface, MUCH harder to provide depth. The best music works on both layers. Jonny Costa and Joe Raposo understand this perfectly. Empire's charts work on both levels, so do the Cabs. A lot in there!

I guess here I'm still teaching a bit. :satisfied: At least my degrees are going to some use once in awhile. :tongue:

• Like 1