Well, I don't know if a great tuba line is "better" :tongue:/>/> , but, yeah, they're crazy good, aren't they :worthy:/>/> ? And if #'s 9 & 10 are as good as I hear they are, my vote's same as yours (Well, it already is, but. . . ).

I blame their tech

I mean I've known since he was like 14, and we blamed him for everything then too

• Like 1

I think in part it's that people aren't being taught to listen anymore. Not just hear music, but LISTEN to it. It's a pet peeve of mine. A product of our society and pop music, and ambient/elevator music that surrounds us that's NOT to be actually listened to but heard. There seems to be a stigma to actually listening closely to music and what's in it. Lord knows I tried when I was an active Music Educator, but it's really ingrained on people not to do it because it takes the 'fun' out of music. I find joy in the discovery of the cool stuff that's hidden in music.

It's easy to write things that come off well on the surface, MUCH harder to provide depth. The best music works on both layers. Jonny Costa and Joe Raposo understand this perfectly. Empire's charts work on both levels, so do the Cabs. A lot in there!

I guess here I'm still teaching a bit. :satisfied:/> At least my degrees are going to some use once in awhile. :tongue:/>

well.....lets face it. a lot of people, especially at local DCA shows, are just going to be entertained. depth of programming, depth of scoring etc only really applies to us diehards. Andhell, some of us diehards don't care

:tongue:/>

well.....lets face it. a lot of people, especially at local DCA shows, are just going to be entertained. depth of programming, depth of scoring etc only really applies to us diehards. Andhell, some of us diehards don't care

:tongue:/>/>

Sometimes what makes things entertaining are exactly those things. Some people may not realize it, I know here and to you I'm preaching to the choir.

Baldy needed to listen to jazz to sleep BITD, and when a group stayed over where he was, jazz played all night on the stereo, and it drove me nuts because all I did was analyze it and couldn't sleep- and this is before I became a Music major! :satisfied:

tongue.gif/>

DCA corps have always lacked bass, it's always been screaming trumpets or mellos with a hint of bass. It's nice to hear a rock solid tuba line with as much presence that this line has for a change

• Like 1

DCA corps have always lacked bass, it's always been screaming trumpets or mellos with a hint of bass. It's nice to hear a rock solid tuba line with as much presence that this line has for a change

not disagreeing but again......who knows the contra players?

but even causal fans know the Peros, the Ponzo's, the Curts, the Ritchees, Centorinos etc.

I blame their tech

I mean I've known since he was like 14, and we blamed him for everything then too

Don't worry Jeff...se do we!! :devil:

Don't worry Jeff...se do we!! :devil:/>

if need be, I can give you more to add to your list

( sorry Ryan....I had to)

• Like 1

Baldy needed to listen to jazz to sleep BITD, and when a group stayed over where he was, jazz played all night on the stereo, and it drove me nuts because all I did was analyze it and couldn't sleep- and this is before I became a Music major! :satisfied:/>

I never heard him do that but.... I can just hear (imagine) it now :devil:

not disagreeing but again......who knows the contra players?

but even causal fans know the Peros, the Ponzo's, the Curts, the Ritchees, Centorinos etc.

You got me there, don't know any of those kids names. Of course I'm assuming they're kids as well (comparatively lol).

Tubas have never been the focus point either so that's also why. The designers seemed to have faith in this line early on to write an exposed part in the opener, a whole feature in the closer, plus adding them in that 16th note run. Still grasping my head around tubas doing a 16th note run haha.. Good for them! Hope to see Cabs in CT again to see how all 10 look/sound.

Edited by DCAfan85

Edited by tubadan
  • Like 1