Phantom Regiment 80.700

I thought they were much better than what I have seen on fan network. Though the guard is beautiful to watch and carries most all of their visual effect (if not 100%), I really want to see some drill effects. At this point I think it is just not part of their drill writer's style. That is Ok, but I wonder how judges consider that. The brass and percussion are both good, but I thought the parts often didn't go together. There were some pretty rough brass sounds (thought Spirit out played them), but someone by me said they just did some big music changes so that may account for some brass issues and several full music ensemble tears. How great they are shows how great the top twelve have become. The Enigma Variations was pretty and has potential to grow a lot. I really enjoyed them though they seemed flat tonight. They were really solid but not my favorite of the show. Would give them visual GE because of how good the guard is as well as visual overall.

Spirit of Atlanta 75.300

My favorite corps of the night and a big step up from Stars. Surprised the gap wasn't much larger. The biggest sound, the most original, the best adherence to theme, the highest frequency of effects. And they had lots of MELODY! Not that PR or Colts didn't have melody, I just was drawn in to Spirit's sound and musical presentation every minute of the show. I loved the beginning and how confident and stylistically accurate it was. Very original for drum scorps. Fantastic pit! All sections seem better than ever. They have some dirt of course and a few moments that seem to be under development, but they really had me from note one. It will be interesting to see how judges respond to their take on drum corps. I LOVE that they are clearly their own brand and very thorough with their theme. I am not sure most judges will or can look past the accessibility and see all the detail to the 1920s show. Would have given them music GE clearly and music ensemble too.

Blue Stars 73.100

I was entertained but also equally confused throughout the show. I didn't get the VooDoo thing most of the time though it is there in small doses. They have a good sound and the drumline seems to be maxing out their book already. The guard has some talent, though I wish they we staged in a greater variety of ways. The preshow is fun but I am not sure how it fits in the the show. I will have to see it again and assess further. The first half is working better than the second half. They seemed flat tonight. There was not much crowd reaction. Left lots of question marks for me tonight. I was surprise the gap to Spirit wasn't much bigger, especially if I consider what they are doing and how well they are doing it.

Colts 70.400

They have some great visual staging and pacing. I thought much stronger in that regard than Stars. The accessibility of the music is refreshing, but unlike Spirit, there seems to be too many textures that are too thin for the sake of creating clarity, but that also comes across as a lack of sophistication and depth. They sound really great at times. The guard work seems very musical and I like the variety of stages for them. The drums seem a little young as of now. I liked the uniform more than i thought I would and glad to see the purple mixed in with the red. Great flags.

The Academy 69.000

To be honest, this was just weird for me. I think the show was about burlesque, but maybe also Moulin Rouge? The costumes are fun and the colors are good. Like Colts, they sound really great at times. The voice over was too much for me. I am OK with humor, but it came across too often as silly. The drumline was rough tonight. I was surprised they were this close to Colts.

Pioneer 60.900

Despite the show title, this production is largely about Christian praise tunes. That is fine of course, though it wasn't very effective for me. I wanted to pull for them, but not sure the designers or admin are giving the members what they deserve regardless of competitive scores. Guard costume is very pretty and the guard has some great performers.

Edited by westcoastblue
  • Like 1