Filling a spot at the last minute

I just dropped my son off at Oregon Crusader's 2nd move-in which goes until Sunday (He plays euph). Then they leave for San Antonio, their next show after a long hiatus from performing but they will have had a second round of all-days.

An OC staff member called him last night and told him they really wanted him and he was able to make the commitment to do it. He couldn't join earlier due to some conflicts during winter and spring.

What I'd like to know from some of you who've done it is: how do you step in at such a late time and learn a show - music and drill? He has marched OC three years before this year so he knows what he's doing, but still, it seems like a daunting challenge.

I'd love to hear some of your experiences out there.

I filled a hole during my age-out year and it was a lot of fun! The first task was learning the drill, which mainly involved following the forms and having people next to me point in the direction I was supposed to move. I didn't put a drill book together - it was more muscle memory. Gradually, I learned the specifics about where my *exact* spot was in each set. Music was the second priority, which I learned on my down-time.

I was able to do my first show about a week after joining up with the corps (but I didn't play most of that show since I was too focused on the drill). By the second week, I was much more comfortable and I felt like a full member.

It's almost like building the frame of a house before the foundation. Your son may feel overwhelmed at times, but I'm sure he will be so glad that he took advantage of the opportunity by the time the season is over. Good luck to him!

• Like 1

The fact that he's marched before is the best news. He's familiar with the staff, and procedures of that particular corps and really the only learning curve is the show itself.

I think it's alot harder for someone coming into a corps that they've never marched with and ESPECIALLY hard for someone that has never marched drumcorps before.

My only experience with this was when I was marching Senior Corps. I joined in June and had to come in and learn all the music and drill in the LIMITED amount of rehearsal time we had on the weekends. At our first exhibition show, I marched the opener, sat out the 2nd production, marched the ballad, and we park and barked the closer since that wasn't done yet. It took me forever to learn that 2nd movement because the next few weekend rehearsals were spent learning the closer and cleaning other parts of the show. I don't think I ever went dot to dot in that 2nd production.

When I was marching Division 1, we had a guy come in with 10 days to go before Finals and he learned the show in 3 days. He marched Cadets several years, so coming to an 11th place corps must've been like cake, but it was impressive watching that progress in those rehearsal days before Allentown.

I was asked to come fill in the 5th bass drum spot with the '90 Cadets a few weeks before Finals due to an injury, but by the time I met up with them at DCI South in Birmingham they had decided to stick it out with the original player (or at least go with someone already there - I can't remember exactly which). I was bummed - closest I came to ever marching DCI - but I'm glad the guy who had put in all that time and effort got to finish the season...especially since they won it all, and drums to boot. Watching the show now, even coming from a corps-style marching program in high school, it's intimidating to think of having to learn that drill in 2 weeks.

Nice replies, and somewhat encouraging, thanks. I have always wondered if every horn out there put to mouth is actually making sound. Now I know!

One thing I forgot to mention, when I dropped him off late in the evening, during the run-through, he approached the scaffolding where the staff hangs out, waved at one of them and walked back over to me. "The staff is mostly all new, I don't know them," he said. Yikes. I sensed that he felt like he was in a new corps. He wasn't even sure who to talk to at first! Even the visual caption supervisor is new. Luckily, the euph instructor is a familiar face for him. A recently aged out euph-turned-OC media-guy approached him, a buddy of his, and all seemed to be well as I left the facility... but I can't help but wonder how the heck this is all going to happen.

I have tremendous respect for my son right now, for taking this on. On the way over there he said, "it's time to sink or swim"...

I'd love some more success stories about last minute hole filling!

• Like 1

Me too! This is a great thread! Thanks for starting it, luv4corps, and uberkudos to your son for having the guts to fill in at a late date! Sounds like he's well prepared, though, for the challenge!

• Like 1

Nice replies, and somewhat encouraging, thanks. I have always wondered if every horn out there put to mouth is actually making sound. Now I know!

One thing I forgot to mention, when I dropped him off late in the evening, during the run-through, he approached the scaffolding where the staff hangs out, waved at one of them and walked back over to me. "The staff is mostly all new, I don't know them," he said. Yikes. I sensed that he felt like he was in a new corps. He wasn't even sure who to talk to at first! Even the visual caption supervisor is new. Luckily, the euph instructor is a familiar face for him. A recently aged out euph-turned-OC media-guy approached him, a buddy of his, and all seemed to be well as I left the facility... but I can't help but wonder how the heck this is all going to happen.

I have tremendous respect for my son right now, for taking this on. On the way over there he said, "it's time to sink or swim"...

Let me assure you that the visual caption supe new to OC is a tremendous guy with a heart as big as he is, a sensitive Irishman with wisdom beyond his young years. He is quite talented but quite pleasent. Your son will have no problems with P.C. if he comes prepared, brings his energy and focus, and a smile or two.

• Like 1

I didn't march DCI but, like DCIMonkey, joined a senior corps late in June (had to have been since school didn't get out until then and I had just graduated HS). Going from non-marching my senior year (was drum major) and transitioning to baritone/brass (was a woodwind through HS) was, looking back, quite a leap as I was an enthusiastic music player rather than gifted/dedicated (played 3rd baritone in corps, granted, but still...). Thank goodness there were only two valves on the horn thus limiting the number of combinations to make the right notes! Didn't think too much about it at the time, though, and attended what I think were two rehearsal weekends (getting a truly awful sunburn during the second weekend - a true newbie error never again repeated) to start. Our first show weekend I remember rehearsing with the corps that Saturday and us doing a run-through at the end. I didn't know I was being evaluated, but the staff came over and said I was good to march in that night's competition. I was very nervous but it was also exciting to put the uniform on for the first time and perform under the lights. The rest of the season was very cool and a great way to get introduced to the activity as a participant.

Best of luck to your son and I hope he has a great tour!

I just dropped my son off at Oregon Crusader's 2nd move-in which goes until Sunday (He plays euph). Then they leave for San Antonio, their next show after a long hiatus from performing but they will have had a second round of all-days.

An OC staff member called him last night and told him they really wanted him and he was able to make the commitment to do it. He couldn't join earlier due to some conflicts during winter and spring.

What I'd like to know from some of you who've done it is: how do you step in at such a late time and learn a show - music and drill? He has marched OC three years before this year so he knows what he's doing, but still, it seems like a daunting challenge.

I'd love to hear some of your experiences out there.

I'm so glad to hear this!!! Yea!

What a testament to him that they called.

Don't worry, Mom, you know he'll handle it like the champ he is.

Smart guys run that corps. They know what they're getting in him.

I'll REALLY enjoy seeing him again in Dublin!

Yea! for him!

• Like 1