Crown's Percussion

If they stay course- they're fine- they just need to be solid

How much does the front ensemble play into the overall percussion score? There is never talk of them, always the field battery. Can anyone clue in a non percussionist?

Obviously not if they just went up against the G7 and still won comfortably. Get over it.

• Like 2

How much does the front ensemble play into the overall percussion score? There is never talk of them, always the field battery. Can anyone clue in a non percussionist?

That is because nothing in the world sticks out like a good/bad battery.

While Crown's drum book does nothing for me I think they will be okay at the end of the summer. If you look at them at the beginning of the season they have come a long way. They will not touch SCV or Cadets, but they will, ultimately, hold their own.

• Like 1

0.2 behind BD and 0.5 behind Cadets, the only 2 real threats to a title. Those are pretty good spreads and I'll take them anyday. Remember, percussion gets cut in half.

If they stay course- they're fine- they just need to be solid

Their ranking was low, but not as low as some years. And the margins are slimmer as well. For now, their other scores are buoying them enough to make up for it and then some. I think it's hurt them in the past, but the margin tonight made a definite statement. This is a viable contender for a championship. Personally, I think it's about time, since only five corps have taken a title since Star in '91. Of the 21 years since, only one has seen an outright victory for a corps that isn't BD, Cavies, or Cadets. It's time to shake things up at the top, and Crown is poised to do it, drums or not.

That said, they'll have to continue to stay consistent in terms of growth or risk falling too far away from the three powerhouse drumlines on the field this year.

Crown got a 84 in content compared to Cadets 86 and an 80 in Achievement compared to the Cadets 83...

If they stay anywhere near that, Crown has no cause for concern. The Cadets line this year is amazing and to only be down 0.5 point to them is saying something.

Some really great lines this year making this one of the better percussion years in recent memory.

• Like 1