Cadets Audience Accessibility

I haven't seen it live, but I'm not seeing the Side-by-Side concept relating to the Barber theme. My sense is that the design staff said "Sure, Boss" to Hopkin's Side-by-Side idea, then did a Barber show with just enough Side-by-Side elements to appease him.

There's a really gorgeous part about half way through when the corps moves from far left to near right bringing a long wavy line with it (as I recall). The music there is really wonderful.

However, mixing Adagio and Medea is a terrible idea. You've got moods of cathartic rage and profound sadness bouncing back and forth like a ping pong ball, and it doesn't work for me at all.

Because sadness and anger never coincide? It still needs some smoothing out (some of which will be accomplished by improved performance clarity), but I think it's the 2nd most interesting part of the show (the 1st being the ballad, as you discuss).

I'll agree the design isn't quite as literal and clear as I had expected. But, I do see and hear side by side ideas all over the place (on video anyway), it's just not as in your face as something like Angels & Demons or the West Side Story shows from Cadets 2009 or Sky Ryders 1987.

In the end, you can always view it through the prism that some people use for shows they don't totally "get" -- just take it in as good, solid drum corps.

I think this year's show is a masterpiece. I 'got it' the first time I saw it live a couple of weeks ago. But I'll admit that on this weekend's live webcast, it loses a lot of it's effect, and is not as impressive a production.

On the other hand, I have only seen Crown's show via live webcast, and think this show is absolutely incredible. So I can only imagine what the show must be like to see and hear live (sadly, I won't get the chance). Cadets show is very clean and is performed very well. Crown's show still is dirty, but it seems they have not improved 'the dirt' much from when I saw them in June. So if Crown can't clean this show up, while the cadets continue to improve their show, Cadets could take the title running away. IMO - the Cadets shouldn't change a thing, especially the closer, which I think is brilliant! One of my favorite DCI moments ever.

Blue Devils show continues to grow on me. I think as they continue to up their performance level, they will have a good chance to pass Crown as well.

So I feel bad for Crown if they can't clean their show...because their production is s real winner.

I agree on the ending -- I think the soft ending is beautiful. It's also one way it sets that section of the show apart from Star 93 -- not just loud vs soft, but Star didn't play that bit of epilogue from Medea. They're also still booking it in the drill, which is cool.

I haven't seen it live, but I'm not seeing the Side-by-Side concept relating to the Barber theme. My sense is that the design staff said "Sure, Boss" to Hopkin's Side-by-Side idea, then did a Barber show with just enough Side-by-Side elements to appease him.

There's a really gorgeous part about half way through when the corps moves from far left to near right bringing a long wavy line with it (as I recall). The music there is really wonderful.

However, mixing Adagio and Medea is a terrible idea. You've got moods of cathartic rage and profound sadness bouncing back and forth like a ping pong ball, and it doesn't work for me at all.

I have had the pleasure of seeing them twice live and the side by side is evident visually and musically throughout the show without it being cheesy. The subtle musical and visual nuances may not be evident on video from high up. If the concept doesn't work for you, this is one powerful drumcorps show with a fantastic brass line and monster percussion section to keep you amused.

• Like 1

I've seen them twice & I love the show. 2nd favorite of the season, behind SVC. I love the opening theme of Adagio, and I love the ending.However - I hate the boxes. I was right on the 50 @ Dekalb about 1/3 of the way up, and was unable to see major parts of the show because of the stupid boxes. The were even lined up crooked along the 50 to start the show. They are so talented in all all captions, its a shame I couldn't see a drum break on the back half of the field because boxes blocked 2/3rds of the line. I get the concept of what they're trying to do, but they could pull it off in a different way without being such a distraction. Also, the DM turned and bowed last night like the show was over, then counted of the soft ending. The crowd was confused as to if the show was over, or not.

I like the Cadets show and the towers are sometimes used very well. But when the towers cover up parts of the forms to the point that brass players are playing into the fabric of the towers, I think that's a design error. And the movement of the towers is so sloppy, I have a hard time reconciling their high visual scores with what I see on the field. The drill itself is pretty incredible for July, but the towers are a mess.

• Like 4

For me, Cadets show is probably tied with Crossmen for most disappointing of the season.

Please get your meds adjusted and take several weeks off. :ph34r:

• Like 1

For me, Cadets show is probably tied with Crossmen for most disappointing of the season.

Cadets disappointing? Perhaps the show concept isn't your cup of tea but they have one of the best brass and percussion lines of the season. Throw in one of the toughest and best performed guard books as a bonus. Not sure where disappointment would come in.

Edited by newjerseycorpguy

I can only assume that YEA didn't accept you.

• Like 2

It was definitely jarring for me. The show on its own seemed a good concept, and seemed relatively complete when I saw it in theaters, and the towers didn't seem bad, really good for dividing the field up. I thought they moved them fairly well to boot. But I saw them from a lower vantage point the night after, and my opinion dropped a bit. I thought that not being able to see parts of the field and what was going on there served a good purpose thematically, but it was harder to follow the show because I felt like I was being denied access to half of the product.

The Cadets have a program for the years from the box, but field level, those towers are just plain distracting.