"wow, they're back"

Can't believe no one's mentioned it already.

SCV

80-81

9th place to champion.

• Like 3

Kilties received a "Wow they're back" in 1977, of course they also received a "huh, they're here" in 1978...but since I loved the old Kilties and miss them, we won't go there.

I remember in 1980, Crossmen received a huge "wow they're back" from many fans, but I'm not sure if that should count since their 13th place in 1979 was rather controversial and they should have been fianlists. Most of the season they were close to 27th, Bridgemen, Guardsmen, North Star, and Madison and I'd have to go back to Corpsreps to verify, but I believe topped each of these corps at least once that year.However, last year they certainly deserved the "wow they're back" they received. I found last year's semi's performance really powerful. I had been hoping they'd do it and they did.

Regarding Troopers, they still recall the "1979 Miracle" with fondness and I do like that show, but the reception they received in 2009 was amazing. I would have loved to have been in the stands when they returned to finals after 23 years.

• Like 1

SCV

80-81

9th place to champion.

I was going to post this! Although I like the 1980 show better ( Way ahead of it's time) This is truly was a big jump! But kind of expected from people who were around at the time. Up to that point SCV had placed no lower than 3rd in DCI finals competition. ( And Blue Stars had never missed finals)

Edited by boxingfred

SCV

80-81

9th place to champion.

in '80 they were 7th, but still a commendable turnaround...I also loved the '80 show, regardless of where they placed

• Like 1

I might also add Garfield Cadets, 1980. For one thing, they did not have a strong beginning that year, but they not only made finals but finished 10th, a jump from 16th the previous year, and returned after being out of finals for two years (78 and 79). If I'm not mistaken I think you can hear someone in the audience yelling "Welcome back Garfield." Of course they returned 1980 and haven't been away since.

How about the Freelancers? They made finals a few years in the early-mid 1980s, then took a year off/folded in 1986. Then came back again the next year and were in finals within a couple of years.

The Sky Ryders came in 9th in 1986, then dropped to as low as 19th by 1990, only to jump up to 12th the next year, 1991.

Phantom Regiment

10th place in 1986 to 5th (3rd in prelims) in 1987. Introduction of the all-white uniforms.

Magic of Orlando 2002.

Inactive in 2000. Small ensemble unit (Micro Magic) 2001. Then back to full size in 2002 and classified as Div. II due to a DCI rule quirk of the time. Won that and then placed 11th in Div. I finals as well.

They were really almost all-new staff, designers and organization under the old name, and without the tuxedos, Robert Smith sound or beloved weirdness of the former corps, but definitely a strong competitor again.

• Like 2