Is Spirit done?

I really should wait until San Antonio to see them live. I have only seen them on the FN, but I really think Spirits show is reaching a stagnation. After seeing everyone on FN this past weekend, I can see them getting passed by several corps and falling out of the top 12 maybe landing around 15th if lucky. In the beginning I liked the show, but no demand has been added that I saw so much of by corps around them. When the season started, they were talking top 8. I think they are a little to complacent. As a southerner (and the south loves the south) this us upsetting. I really want them to succeed, but looks like they are taking a step back with such a simple show.

• Like 1

I really should wait until San Antonio to see them live. I have only seen them on the FN, but I really think Spirits show is reaching a stagnation. After seeing everyone on FN this past weekend, I can see them getting passed by several corps and falling out of the top 12 maybe landing around 15th if lucky. In the beginning I liked the show, but no demand has been added that I saw so much of by corps around them. When the season started, they were talking top 8. I think they are a little to complacent. As a southerner (and the south loves the south) this us upsetting. I really want them to succeed, but looks like they are taking a step back with such a simple show.

Of course not. Day after Minnesota was another change day. I don't exactly know what the changes were, but the staff is well aware of how things are going and won't let this one pass by.

No.

You could go down the "more of the same will hamper their chances" argument but I suspect they will make finals this season.

I have only seen Spirit in the theater and via Fan Network and won't see them live until Allentown. Overall my thoughts regarding Spirit have been positive. I think they had the basics of their show ready for the season, and I expected it would be tweaked and some additions would be included, similar to "Lady Luck" last year and the "femme fetale" of 2011. That's what I do not see happening yet with this year's show. I do not see Spirit falling from finals, but I don't think we'll see upward movement either. I think Spirit made a good choice in using "Sweet Georgia Brown" but I think would have helped Spirit if it was a bit more retro, namely what the corps did in 1979 or 1980, using "Sweet Georgia Brown" in the manner that Madison uses their favorites from the past. However, this seems to be a season that will have a lot of surges, so "the South may rise again." Actually, since so many of the kids in drum corps today hail from Texas, Florida, and other southern states, just about any corps that improves could say the south has risen again!

Edited by Tim K

No. No corps is "done" yet. Not by a long shot. Every corps is going to be working to improve, tweak and make changes to better their chances at moving up.

• Like 1

I hope not....their show has a lot of opportunity to add to, they definitely have a good frame work to build on. I'm a alum and noticed on their facebook feed that they spent all of yesterday making changes, so I suspect we'll see some of that come San Antonio. Personally, I would like to hear more than a tease of Sweet Georgia Brown...that opening statement has a chance to make some serious impact. As it is know, it's more of a tease.

15th if lucky? :blink: :blink:

As other posters have mentioned, their Facebook page has mentioned changes in the works yesterday and today. While I'd love to see them jump up a little and challenge Boston-BK-Cavies, I'm not sure that will happen unfortunately. I think this year's show is a step up in creativity, demand and interest from last year. I'm honestly a little surprised that they haven't been scoring a tad bit higher. We'll see how it plays out but I think they are perfomring at a slightly higher level than some of the corps just out of Finals at this point so I don't see them getting passed by two corps and missing Saturday night.

I saw some one in here with the Teal Sound sticker ,would you know whats happening with them .I live in Jacksonville Fl. and almost no one ever heard of them I was told they changed the name to just TEAL ,But thats all i ever heard .

I saw some one in here with the Teal Sound sticker ,would you know whats happening with them .I live in Jacksonville Fl. and almost no one ever heard of them I was told they changed the name to just TEAL ,But thats all i ever heard .

One of my buddies marched with Teal Sound last year. That ship has sailed. There is absolutely 0 chance of that organization ever forming again. Sorry.

There's a month left of the season and most corps haven't even really had "change camps" yet or are just have and still aren't comfortable with the changes. In 2010, we took the week between San Antonio and Atlanta to make our changes. Why do people keep saying things like "well corps a has maxed out the show, better luck next time" the season is just getting going and the shows are finally getting good.

I'm just gonna sit back and enjoy the shows and hope the best for all groups the final month of summer

• Like 2