Photography

Wonder what happens to their huge collection of DCI photos that they've sold in their tent for years and years

I am a San Diego area photographer and I have done only the California shows in past years. I do sales during the winterguard & marching band seasons. Drum corps has been more so just for fun. It is not an easy thing to do, that is, cover an activity across the nation. It is certainly not cheap, either. Anyways, if you ever care to look at some of my photos, you can find them in a few spots. I do shoot for DCP, but it seems people never look at DCP's Photo Archive. Anyways, you can check out my pageantry (drum corps, winterguard, marching band) photos on my Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/freyphotos

http://marchingpics.tumblr.com/

http://pinterest.com/freyphotos/drum-corps/

Edited by crfrey71

Frankly, good. The only plus side to Jolesch was the sheer number of shows they covered, but I've seen so many photographers on Flickr, Facebook, etc who take way better photos than anything I ever saw from Jolesch. Here's hoping someone way better steps up to fill the void.

DCP has its own photographers. DCP Photos

It might help if it was more prominently featured on the front page rather than on the side bar. I have the front page bookmarked rather than the forums and I didn't even know the photos page existed until you posted the link to it.

Frankly, good. The only plus side to Jolesch was the sheer number of shows they covered, but I've seen so many photographers on Flickr, Facebook, etc who take way better photos than anything I ever saw from Jolesch. Here's hoping someone way better steps up to fill the void.

Like my friend Charlie Frey, I market band, drumline and limited "other" shots during the winter...and I also shoot for DCP. Our material is always accessible here on DCP in the Photo Archives, and I'm a consistent shooter at DCA's...at least since 2007. I'm not as prolific as most of the other shooters around the DC circuit, and for that I'm grateful 'cuz it takes alot of freakin' TIME to do this stuff! Super enjoyable, though, what a vantage point...it's easy to see why I've become addicted to documenting pageantry! Oh, as an aside, I'm familiar with how Jolesch works(ed)...they hire local photographers, they shoot in basic jpeg mode, upper torso and head shots only...and try to get 'em all! If you've never tried it, it's a b*tch, 'specially when the light is changing...not that I'm making excuses, but, unless you've been doing it for awhile, results are definitely not guaranteed!

Charlie Groh

www.marchingpix.com

Edited by chasgroh
  • Like 2

Like my friend Charlie Frey, I market band, drumline and limited "other" shots during the winter...and I also shoot for DCP. Our material is always accessible here on DCP in the Photo Archives, and I'm a consistent shooter at DCA's...at least since 2007. I'm not as prolific as most of the other shooters around the DC circuit, and for that I'm grateful 'cuz it takes alot of freakin' TIME to do this stuff! Super enjoyable, though, what a vantage point...it's easy to see why I've become addicted to documenting pageantry! Oh, as an aside, I'm familiar with how Jolesch works(ed)...they hire local photographers, they shoot in basic jpeg mode, upper torso and head shots only...and try to get 'em all! If you've never tried it, it's a b*tch, 'specially when the light is changing...not that I'm making excuses, but, unless you've been doing it for awhile, results are definitely not guaranteed!

Charlie Groh

www.marchingpix.com

Just to add to what Charlie Groh has already mentioned...

The way Jolesch did it was the right way. Artsy fartsy is great, but most people buy the basic upper torso and want to see faces. That's what parents buy. So numbers and more faces are the key. You don't have much time to sit there and wait on shots to happen. More faces = More dollars.

Marching Band is actually the most challenging for me. Try photographing a high school band like Arcadia. They are 450 or so strong. Probably goes for a good number of Texas high school bands, as well. So many different sections in a band, which I have certain standard compositions for. Then, some days last from 10 AM till 10 PM. Then, when you need to hire photographers, you have to trust the person and it's a lot of headaches. I complained about Jolesch in the past, but try finding photographers, at a reasonable price, who will shoot the way you want them to and at a high quality and for entire days. It is not easy. Then try doing that across the entire country. Be grateful for the service they did provide. Both me and Charlie has found this out. It's challenging for sure.

Edited by crfrey71

Jolesch looks like they're still in business as Jolesch Enterprises.

Don't know why you got a -1 for this. (Fixed it.)

This was exactly what I'm looking for.

As someone who is into photography, I can say that drum corps and photography have a lot in common. Some of the "artsy" shots require more work, but people still enjoy a nice lighthouse with a crisp blue sky as a background. Sound like the drum corps striving for excellence and degree of difficulty as opposed to audience favorites. Does film produce a better shot and are we losing photography skills by not using film, or is digital only the way to go? Sound like Key of G v. B-flat?

From what I have seen, Jolesch has produced some wonderful photos, especially action shots. They also capture emotion well, and it's not easy. I always have my camera along for a show and getting shots is always a hit or miss affair. I am not always as amazed at their portrait shots of the corps members. Whether this is the fault of Jolesch, or whether the corps do not give them enough time is a fair question, but most of them look little better than what you would get at the photo studio at JC Penney or Sears (if the still have the studios).

If DCI has to find new photographers, I would suggest having a sports/action photographer responsible for shows. The skills that are needed for sporting events are the same for a drum corps show since movement is involved. For portraits and group shots, let the corps' find their own photographers who go good portrait work.