Olathe Show

I arrived early thinking the show began at 7:00 instead of 7:40. It gave me time to check out the souvie booths and walk arouind. My seat was located on the top row (30) near the 40 yard line. This was a great seat, however for some reason many seats in this area were saved for event staff and district employees and their families. The only problem I had was that 1 family came and it was clear they were not interested in watching the show. Their little boy had toy cars and trucks and kept playing with them loudly throughout the 1st half of the contest. This was a distrct band director and his family. I don't know why they even attended the show as it was clear this was not something they were interested in seeing. Though the show seemed rather well attended, it appeared the number was down from previous years.

Colt Cadets: This show was better than I expected. There were 11 guard and 33 horns. The tone quality seemed much improved since last year. A great soloist performed during Hagbanera (from Carmen). There was also a nice duet during The Heart is a Lonely Hunter. The guard performance was a little sloppy at times.

Cascades: I really liked the lime green plumes. They seem to stand out on the field. The opener contains some fast moving drill. There were alignment problems at times throughout the show. I must say I am not a fan of using microphones for soloists. It was almost painful with the microphones during the 2nd soloist. The corps performs using many disonant chords. I also think the music is too difficult for the membership. The small guard hurts the overall effect. The drill and flag work doesn't seem to help accent the music. Perhaps a more recognizeable show (muisic) would help the program.

Crossmen: The color guard and pit protest during the pre-show. They had a great open hit. I liked all of their flags, especially the set used during The Sounds of Silence. I did get tired of the protest signs used throughout the show. I liked them in the beginning to set the mood, but didn't see the need for them after that. I was impressed with their tone quality and balance. The had a nice big sound. This was an entertaining show to watch. The piece sign is very effective and received a standing ovation.

Blue Knights: The corps began the show with singing. The use of irredecent flags was effectigve. There was a 5-yard rifle exchange during the show which caught the audiences attention. The wind could have played a part in the execution of the color guard as there were several rifle drops tonight. This is a very good show; however, I wished I could have recognize the music. I did appreciate the difficulty of the music, drill, and guard work, but I probably wouldn't pay to see them again.

Madison Scouts: Cool Pre Show! The crowd ate up the head-choppers that the hornline did during the pre-show. The opening pinwheel was a great effect. There were several neat visual effects throughout the show, such as the helicopter, rifle exchange, and members playing while lying on the ground. I thought Madison's flag choreagraphy was outstanding. Perahps their timing and flag heights on tosses were just that much better than everyone else. This was definately a crowd favorite. Thanks for entertaining the crowd.

Boston Crusaders: The inroduction (pre-show) begins in the left back corner. I had difficulty with this show. The guard's uniforms blends in with the horns and drums which make it difficult to read their choreography. I know they are supposed to have a good guard this year, but their work doesn't seem to be highlighted due to the uniforms. The blue flags added a lot visually, especially when they used the poles as steps. The corps also used some neat visuals throughout the show. I did like the change to the red. They have a nice full sound and had a powerful ending. Again, I didn't recognize the music so I was left disappointed in the corps. I was waiting to hear Lean On Me, but somehow must have missed it. I was looking forward to seeing the Crusaders, but was left feeling flat and not entertained.

Colts: This show left me feeling happy! This is probably the most entertaining show I have seen from the Colts in years. The show beings with singing and later features a great trumpet soloist. One of the performers during the duet struggled tonight. It seemed like he was forcing the notes. The Place Were Dreams Come True is emotional which is projected to the audience. This corps is going to turn heads by finals. I wouldn't be shocked if they end up making the Top 12. Thanks Colts for having an entertaining show. I would definately pay to see this show again.

On a side Note: No corps use of amplification bothered/offended me. Though a couple had the sound turned up at times, this was only done to add to the sound they wanted to project. The use of microphones did offend me.

Re: recognizable music: you've never heard "First Circle" from BK's show or seen Inception, part of the music near the end of Boston's show?

I saw Inception. The score made little impression on me. The most memorable music in the film is the old Edith Piaf song, "Non, je ne regrette rien", that the characters use as a timing device.

Boston Crusaders [...] I was waiting to hear "Lean On Me", but somehow must have missed it.

This happened to me seeing BAC live as well. On the videos, I realized that they play it (with the melody tweaked) just after the section in which they lean on each other.

I saw Inception. The score made little impression on me. The most memorable music in the film is the old Edith Piaf song, "Non, je ne regrette rien", that the characters use as a timing device.

A huge chunk of the score is actually just based off of that song slowed down to an unbelievably slow pace. The reason it didn't make an impression on you is because you were listening to Edith Piaf at well over 100 x slower than normal pace.

It might not have been memorable music, but there's an incredibly cool reason for it being composed like that. At around 30 seconds you can hear what happens...

Edited by NR_Ohiobando